IGNORED

My 14-y-o son made state!

macksmom
Note: This thread is 2710 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Congrats!!!!

Keep us posted.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, dennyjones said:

How exciting.    Thanks for the update.  Best of luck to him.   Pictures or it didn't happen!!!

Thank you! Yes, I will get pictures! I'm hoping to find a good camera with a zoom lens.

How cool is that? And what a fine looking young man. I was more than happy to help, if just a little. Give him big congrats from us here at The Sand Trap, and by all means keep us posted. You just made my day.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

How cool is that? And what a fine looking young man. I was more than happy to help, if just a little. Give him big congrats from us here at The Sand Trap, and by all means keep us posted. You just made my day.

I owe you a photo of him with the bag. Right now he is using the school logo bag, but has to give it back after next week. He will be using your bag after that. Thank you again!

33 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

Top work! What division is his school in?

We are division III. We were II last year, I'm told, but got bumped down because we are such a small district. 
I think next Thursday, he plays against other Division III kids, and then whomever makes the top 10-20 (not sure) moves on to Saturday, when I assume all of the divisions' individuals play. I'm not sure though. I'm new to this team golf thing. 

Edited by macksmom

Here's a short video of his swing the other day. He's still tweaking it, but he's looking pretty good. (He took 3 years off from golf before this season, but played tournaments almost every summer before that since he was 8.) We saw an awesome instructor the other day who gave him some great tips!

VID_20160920_175459844.mp4

19 minutes ago, macksmom said:

I owe you a photo of him with the bag. Right now he is using the school logo bag, but has to give it back after next week. He will be using your bag after that. Thank you again!

We are division III. We were II last year, I'm told, but got bumped down because we are such a small district. 
I think next Thursday, he plays against other Division III kids, and then whomever makes the top 10-20 (not sure) moves on to Saturday, when I assume all of the divisions' individuals play. I'm not sure though. I'm new to this team golf thing. 

We're division 2 here. I thought maybe he would be playing against our kids.

• Upvote 1

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awesome!! I have a 14 year old that plays for our high school as well. Congrats!

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

22 hours ago, TN94z said:

Awesome!! I have a 14 year old that plays for our high school as well. Congrats!

That's great! Is your season ending too? I'm going to be sad to see it end.

Thanks, everyone! He played well yesterday (tied for 2nd out of 21 players) and today he's playing 2 hours away at the "hardest course in our state", according to his coach. Yikes! 
After today, he will be practicing for the championship. We're going to go play the course on Sunday. (By we, I mean him and his teammate - with me driving the cart.) ;)
The tournament is Thursday, so we have a week to get ready. 

Here's a nice hit from yesterday. 

1 hour ago, macksmom said:

That's great! Is your season ending too? I'm going to be sad to see it end.

Thanks, everyone! He played well yesterday (tied for 2nd out of 21 players) and today he's playing 2 hours away at the "hardest course in our state", according to his coach. Yikes! 
After today, he will be practicing for the championship. We're going to go play the course on Sunday. (By we, I mean him and his teammate - with me driving the cart.) ;)
The tournament is Thursday, so we have a week to get ready. 

Here's a nice hit from yesterday. 

Yes, his season is over. Made it to regionals but got put out. He has me fired up to really take my game to another level. Of course, I'll have to in order to keep him from beating me..haha

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

9 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Just remember, it's the "hardest course in the state" for everyone!

This is pretty important. When I went to state we played a course that measured 7,147 yards and had greens that were measured at 12 on Saturday and closer to a 13 on Sunday. Decently tough course, but you have to remember that everyone else is on a level playing field. He will have the advantage if he remembers that fact and keeps a level head over other kids who might be intimidated by the course itself.

Note: This thread is 2710 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!