IGNORED

Rattle in head/hosel

Davie81
Note: This thread is 2751 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My new Callaway Steelhead 6 iron has developed an occasional rattle coming from the head or hose area. Is it likely this would be a bit of epoxy which ha broken off and how easy is it to get it removed? Any other ideas of what could be causing it would be appreciated but I thought epoxy initially.

To remove the rattle, a clubsmith would heat up the hosel enough to melt the exoxy seal, then remove the shaft from the head and look for the rattle particle.

A good clubsmith would then clean out the hosel with a wire brush to remove epoxy debris (this is critical!), then prep the tip of the shaft for reinsertion.

Often the shaft tip end will have a seal on it to prevent epoxy from running up the inside of the shaft. Make sure that gets replaced  before reinsertion.

Next, reapply epoxy to shaft and hosel, and reinsert the shaft.

It's critical to have a decent clubsmith do it. It sounds simple but it can be messed up if someone is not careful in the steps.

Where did you buy your Steelheads? If a local shop, does it have a good clubsmith?

You could send it back to the factory, but being you live in Scotland that would be quite an ordeal.

Let us know how things turn out! And, how much longer is your golf season?

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

19 hours ago, WUTiger said:

To remove the rattle, a clubsmith would heat up the hosel enough to melt the exoxy seal, then remove the shaft from the head and look for the rattle particle.

A good clubsmith would then clean out the hosel with a wire brush to remove epoxy debris (this is critical!), then prep the tip of the shaft for reinsertion.

Often the shaft tip end will have a seal on it to prevent epoxy from running up the inside of the shaft. Make sure that gets replaced  before reinsertion.

Next, reapply epoxy to shaft and hosel, and reinsert the shaft.

It's critical to have a decent clubsmith do it. It sounds simple but it can be messed up if someone is not careful in the steps.

Where did you buy your Steelheads? If a local shop, does it have a good clubsmith?

You could send it back to the factory, but being you live in Scotland that would be quite an ordeal.

Let us know how things turn out! And, how much longer is your golf season?

The seasons pretty much done over here. Had the club at the shop tonight who didn't think it was epoxy but can't figure out what it is as it's in the head/hosel. They're sending it back but I'm really paranoid about my clubs now. These are a replacement set for the xr set which had 3 5 irons crack on the face. Must have the worst luck with Callaway but I feel that with the worrying about a club damaging it'll stop my enjoyment of playing. 

Note: This thread is 2751 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!