IGNORED

**Help me choose my new irons**

JaY_B
Note: This thread is 5969 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am looking for a new set of irons after Christmas and would like your opinions/ feedback on clubs that you are using and have used to help me come up with my own conclusion on what to buy, obviously i will be trying out the clubs extensively first but info from people who play with them day in day out would be much appreciated.

Rough Background info

Play off 5 (haven't played competitive golf for a while, so 4 is probably more accurate)
Hit my 7 iron about 150 yards (dead of winter in England so i expect in summer it will be nearer 160 - 165)

Currently using Callaway X Tour with S300 shafts

Clubs I am looking for are obviously the next step up from the X Tour, I have been doing research on the Callaway forged, most Mizuno irons, some Titleist irons etc etc.

So what clubs are you using and what do you think of them?!?!?

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

Check out the Mizuno MP60's.

Driver: Sumo2 5900 10.5*
3+ Utility: 3DX Utility 13.5*
Hybrids: 4DX 18.5*
Irons: MP-30 3-PW
Wedges: Vokey SM54.10 & SM60.04Putter: T.P. Mills StudioBall: GamerBag: Warbird Stand

i wouldn't fault Ping i10 or S58's - Mizuno mp60's are great, MP57 look good but haven't hit them. Try MP67 if you're more into a blade type club.

Titleist - 735's are the business, 695 if you're crazy/blade lover

WEAPONS:
Taylormade R9 10.5 L Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 15 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 19 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade Tour Preferred 4-PW KBS Tour X-Stiff Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 51Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 55Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 59Yes! Tracy II putterTitleist...

I have never been a fan of Ping irons, way to chunky for me, I am a fan of blades but when I'm having an off day it's not going to do me any favours (except the mp 67's, which feel as forgiving as my x tours) ideally i am looking for a combo set of slight cavity long irons and blade short irons.

Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

ping s58's are less chunkier than titleist 755's and taylormade R7 TP's - people tend to think of pings as these huge shovles but don't knock them till you've tried them!

ok combowise - have you tried the Taylormade TP MB Combo - not sure if you can still get them new. want to be striking it pretty good to get most out of them though.

WEAPONS:
Taylormade R9 10.5 L Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 15 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 19 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade Tour Preferred 4-PW KBS Tour X-Stiff Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 51Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 55Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 59Yes! Tracy II putterTitleist...

I have tried the S58's and really don't like them, have never really liked Ping clubs in general TBH.

As for the Taylormade combo's i agree they look the nuts, haven't had the chance to hit them and the only new sets you can get are on Ebay, and there hard to find

Has anyone got experience on the new Nike Pro Combo's, I like the look of them but have heard they're rubbish... opinions?

Never rule out a new change of shafts. I might soon be getting some Nippon NS pro shafts in place of my true temper s300's

Driver: 10.5* SuperQuad TP 1st Edition All Black V2 Stiff
5 Wood - 585.h 19* DG S300
Irons: 3-PW S59 Stiff
Wedges: Rac TP 52*, 60* MP-T 56*
Putter(s): Anser 3 TP Black ballGET TO SINGLE DIGITS!Goal: Beat a certain admin that lives in my town

The shafts are not really an issue, the heads are just a bit worn out and I could do with a change for next years competition season, will probably get better shafts in the new clubs though

I'm a big fan of the Nike Forged Blades. I just got them about a month ago and have only played about 3 times in the past 6 weeks. They seem to be very forgiving for blades, IMO. I hit the 4 iron last week and mishit the hell out of it. I mean way out on the toe and I only lost around 10-12 yards.

They are, however, weaker lofts than my previous irons (Titleist 695 CB's) which is taking a little to adjust to.

Driver: 905R 9.5*
3-wood: 906F 13*
Irons: Forged Blades
Wedges: Black Satin SV Tour 52* , 56*, 60*
Putter: FuturaBall: ProV1x or One Platinum---------------------------------------------------------My 2008 Tournament Qualifiers:Tennessee State Match Play - Qualified - July...

I have never been a fan of Ping irons, way to chunky for me, I am a fan of blades but when I'm having an off day it's not going to do me any favours (except the mp 67's, which feel as forgiving as my x tours) ideally i am looking for a combo set of slight cavity long irons and blade short irons.

Try Golfsmith.com and look at the Snakeyes 600B and 600C sets. There a component club. All the heads are forged. I got a combination set of C and B's. The C's (small cavity backs) from the 3 to the 6 and the B's (blades) from the 7 to the SW. There a high end club and the heads are on sale now because they have just got a newer model in. You could get a set of 3 to SW with rifle shafts for around 40% of the Mizuno's or Taylormade's. Here's a link to the product.

http://www.golfsmith.com/products/SE2661 I ordered the materials and had them made by a local golf pro. I absolutly love them they feel like butter.

Driver - Taylormade R9
3 Wood - Titlelist 909F2 15.5 degrees

2H - Nickent

4H - Taylormade
Irons - Mizuno MP-63 5-PW
Wedges - Titlelist 52 and 60 and Cleveland CG-15 56
Putter - Scotty Cameron Stainless Steel NewportBall - Pro V or V1

Have looked in to Snake Eyes clubs, have heard they travel quite short distances compared to other irons?? Whats the performance like as I am interested in them.

I'm a big fan of the Nike Forged Blades. I just got them about a month ago and have only played about 3 times in the past 6 weeks. They seem to be very forgiving for blades, IMO. I hit the 4 iron last week and mishit the hell out of it. I mean way out on the toe and I only lost around 10-12 yards.

Why did you get rid of the 695 mbs???

In the Edge Bag:

Driver 8.5* 907D2 with Proforce V2 XS
3 Wood 15* 906F2 with Proforce V2 XS
Hybrid 19* 585.F with Project X XSIrons 3-W X-Forged with Project X 6.5Wedges Oil Can 200 Series 52/08 & Oil Can Spin Milled 56/14Putter Circa 62 #2 (34", 71* Lie, 4* Loft)Ball Pro PlatinumGPS...

Why did you get rid of the 695 mbs???

MB's? I had the CB's. I hated the MB's when I hit them.

Driver: 905R 9.5*
3-wood: 906F 13*
Irons: Forged Blades
Wedges: Black Satin SV Tour 52* , 56*, 60*
Putter: FuturaBall: ProV1x or One Platinum---------------------------------------------------------My 2008 Tournament Qualifiers:Tennessee State Match Play - Qualified - July...

have you considered adams idea pro set?
i really like them but my swing isn't good enough to hit them consistantly

Launcher 460 10.5° <BB Solution 130 R>
Wishon 949MC 16.5° <SK Fiber Tour Trac 80 R>
3DX DC Ironwood 20°, 23° <UST SR2 R>
MX-23 5-PW <KBS Tour R>
Vokey 250.08, SM54.10, SM58.08 <DG Wedge> Callie 33.75"TLT Series 4MOI matched

i would suggest kzg evolution, kzg has the best forging in the business there feel is second to none its a thin topline with p wedge is muscleback and 2 iron is a cavity. highly recomendend, but i would say that the shaft is more important than the clubhead.

whats in my bag
r7 425 v2 x flex
ss 2.5 stiff
:KZG-forged evolution project x 6.5
cg12 52,56900 form forged 60 bettanardi co3 33.75"pro v1

I am trying out the Snake eyes 600B 6 iron next week for a week, and have tried the 600C 5 iron today, so if the week test goes well i shall be purchasing a set of 3 - 5 600C and 6 - pw 600B irons shortly, I really hope i like the club as i think they look the absolute nuts, and its a club that no one else in England really uses, it will be nice to stand out a bit

try the titleist 695 mb/cb or the 735cm

In my bag:

Titleist 905 Aldila VS Proto| TaylorMade r9 stiff shaft| Titleist 906F Aldila NV 75-S Fairway| Titleist ZM S300 (3-PW) |Titleist 54º SM TT Wedge Flex| Titleist 60º SM TT Wedge Flex| Scotty Cameron Newport 2

09 Goals- Handicap to 2 (I'm crazy I know)- Win 10 tournaments (dune)- Win...

I cant say enough nice about the snakeyes. They feel like butter and your right they are a beauty to behold. I've even had friends try them that use cavity backs and they say they feel very forgiving. As far as distance I have a swing speed in the low 90's with my 5 iron and my carry distance with the snakeyes are 190-195 yards if thats any help. The other nice thing about them is that they are forged and you can have the lie and even the loft adjusted without fear of damage to the head. Let me know how you make out or if you have anymore questions.

Driver - Taylormade R9
3 Wood - Titlelist 909F2 15.5 degrees

2H - Nickent

4H - Taylormade
Irons - Mizuno MP-63 5-PW
Wedges - Titlelist 52 and 60 and Cleveland CG-15 56
Putter - Scotty Cameron Stainless Steel NewportBall - Pro V or V1

Note: This thread is 5969 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!