IGNORED

Hello from the UK

andy_gtfc
Note: This thread is 2741 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello,

A new member here. I'm considering playing golf a lot more, to give me something to do when I have a quiet weekend, or when I want to use my holidays up at work. Currently, I've never played before at all, apart from taking a putter around when my Dad used to play and throwing the ball on the green and seeing if I could quickly putt it. Also, I occasionally have a game of Crazy Golf too. Other than that, I have no experience at all. I'm thinking about taking some lessons with a local pro and seeing how it goes from there. Also, I want to play golf to hopefully lose some weight that I have. 

So my current set up is nothing, no clubs, no balls, no bag.

Any hints and tips that you could give me would be great though, starting from scratch!

Cheers,

Andy

Welcome the site. You'll find a wealth of great info and advice here. 

If you are starting from scratch the best advice i could give is to spend as little as possible until you know for certain golf is a hobby you are going to carry on with.

Start with maybe a half set of clubs (you can get sets from Direct golf and sports direct), or you can build a good starter set again using sports direct as they sell individual Dunlop clubs that you can get for about £7 per iron, less than £20 for driver and same for wedges and putter. Check out their range of balls as well as they stock some decent ones at reasonabkle prices or Dunlop 15 for £7.

If you are just begining then you could do a lot worse than dunlop (some may say otherwise but hey). If you must have big names then Ebay is the way to go. Go for the most forgiving clubs (cavity backs not blades). 

Once you have a few clubs set up, practice the basics such as grip, setup etc. before you take it to the range. Thats when the fun starts. Above all enjoy yourself, and remeber, its only a game (if you believe that last bit you'll beleive anything!!:-D)

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Welcome to the site.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

above all...have fun!  One thing you have as an advantage over others is, you do not have to "unlearn" anything. 

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Note: This thread is 2741 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!