IGNORED

Am I Missing Out?

Note: This thread is 2734 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am still playing with the hand me down Ping G2 irons that my dad gave me a few years back, and these are the only clubs that I haven’t replaced.  That’s mainly because they’re good irons, they launch well, they go straight, and I can hit them far enough.  Also they’re standard spec black dot Pings, and I’m of average build so they seem to fit.  That being said, I haven’t really hit any other irons, so I’m wondering if I’m missing out….last time I visited my parents, the soles on my dad’s newer Pings (also G series) seemed to look a bit wider than my G2’s.  I did some digging and found a forum post claiming their G2’s looked more like i20’s (full disclosure, this is among the other posts that said the G2’s are still great clubs).  So by playing G2’s am I missing out on some improved forgiveness, trajectory, etc of clubs developed in the 13 years that my Pings have been around?  I know a proper fitting is the best route, but just looking for some guidance as to whether I should drop the subject or get serious about finding the right clubs for me.

Diego’s Gear
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha at 11.5*
5W: Taylormade Jetspeed 19*
Hybrid: Ping G5 22*
Irons: Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Ping Ketsch 33”
My Swing: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93417-my-swing-foot-wedge/

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If they work well for you then you probably don't need to pick up some new clubs unless you really want to. I would say analyze your game and see where your weaknesses are then see if new clubs would help that issue. For instance having large gaps between clubs or having a consistent miss like always going right/left or thin/heavy.

Edited by JxQx

You can have them tested for lie to see if they are too upright or flat. They won't adjust cast clubs typically because they will likely break, but you can still have them tested. I used to have this done at Dick's SG, but I don't know if they still do it since they got rid of all their pros.

- Shane

caddystacks - It sounds like you really like and hit the G2's good so I don't think you are missing out on anything. Most of the improvements in clubs have been the driver.

The G series and I series are two different clubs.  G2 more game improvement irons and the i series more a better player iron with less forgiveness.  Some on the newer G series can have HUGE soles on them.  Not sure if you ever seen the K series or not but I could finish concrete when them they are soooo huge.

If you got the money to spend and want to upgrade, go see what is out there.  Lots of nice clubs but they all kind of hit the same.  I can play my old Pings just about as good as my Miuras or my Mizunos.

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

Thanks for the replies.

45 minutes ago, JxQx said:

I would say analyze your game and see where your weaknesses are then see if new clubs would help that issue. For instance having large gaps between clubs or having a consistent miss like always going right/left or thin/heavy.

Generally my miss is right with the long irons, left with the short irons, and overall, I'll hit a bit heavy if I don't strike the ball clean.

1 hour ago, Vinny Cap said:

Some on the newer G series can have HUGE soles on them.  Not sure if you ever seen the K series or not but I could finish concrete when them they are soooo huge.

So it wasn't just me thinking the pictures of these newer irons made them look giant.  Sounds like there isn't anything revolutionary that I'm missing out on, maybe I'll just casually try to hit a few different ones and see if I notice any difference.

Diego’s Gear

Like @CarlSpackler said Ping has the color chart system. You said you have black dots? You can take your own measurements at home and see if if the length and lie are correct for you. It's an inexpensive way to do it. Length and lie are pretty cheap fixes to make. 

To answer your question simply, no I don't think you're missing out with old irons. My first set of irons (which I still have as backups) were from the 1990's. The only reason I upgraded was because the lofts on the modern irons are much stronger, and it allowed me to get rid of the 4-iron.

29 minutes ago, caddystacks said:

So it wasn't just me thinking the pictures of these newer irons made them look giant.  Sounds like there isn't anything revolutionary that I'm missing out on, maybe I'll just casually try to hit a few different ones and see if I notice any difference.

The new i blades are pretty cool looking and do not have the shovel look to them.  Also cool but not new are the S55's.  I am a Ping guy but have branched out and really like my Miura's and Mizuno's.

Go browsing and see what looks good to you, then see what you hit good out of those and then it will be up to you on get some new irons or stay with the trusty G2's.

Good luck on your search and keep us posted.

2 hours ago, Kalnoky said:

The only reason I upgraded was because the lofts on the modern irons are much stronger, and it allowed me to get rid of the 4-iron.

You know this mind of makes sense.  I haven't thought about it but a 5 iron with my G2's 4 iron loft and 5 iron length sounds appealing.  That could allow for a third wedge to bridge the gap between the last club in the set and my 54*.  Sorry, thinking out loud.

@Vinny Cap I agree with you about those i series irons, naturally I went to the Ping site first to look around.  I just don't know if I'd be able to hit them.  I like the way those kinds of clubs look, sleeker and less flashy.  I don't like how game improvement irons have all sorts of badges and color schemes.  I know it's vain but I had a guitar in a color that didn't completely satisfy me....ended up sanding it down and refinishing it...it gets to me.  At the same time there's no need to make the game harder.  I understand how club design impacts forgiveness since I use Cleveland 588 muscleback wedges for approach shots within 100 yds.  If I don't pure the shot, it'll get off line in a hurry.  I'll keep an open mind and hit what's out there.

Diego’s Gear

This is a good question and I did my novice unscientific research the last month or so. I read what I could etc.  Basically as far as irons I found that the distances for each iron loft have not changed much at all from 20 to 30 years ago, and thats for the pros too. Now i am talking quality clubs. What I have noticed is that you can get some dang good deals online if you wanted to "upgrade". If you have the money and you want new then nothing wrong with going that route. Just know you can get the same quality and performance inquality used if you want to go that route. 

The only trick to buying used is adjusting lie as stated above and also finding the right shaft flex. 

So whatever you decide just know your not giving up 30-50 yards with your old irons.  All you prob need is a lie adjustment and new grips.

55 minutes ago, caddystacks said:

@Vinny Cap I agree with you about those i series irons, naturally I went to the Ping site first to look around.  I just don't know if I'd be able to hit them.  I like the way those kinds of clubs look, sleeker and less flashy.  I don't like how game improvement irons have all sorts of badges and color schemes.  I know it's vain but I had a guitar in a color that didn't completely satisfy me....ended up sanding it down and refinishing it...it gets to me.  At the same time there's no need to make the game harder.  I understand how club design impacts forgiveness since I use Cleveland 588 muscleback wedges for approach shots within 100 yds.  If I don't pure the shot, it'll get off line in a hurry.  I'll keep an open mind and hit what's out there.

I hear you on liking what you hit as all my irons I like and that's why I bought them.  Sure my Mizuno MP67's might be a blade type of iron but I can hit the ball pretty good and I play for enjoyment not money so I am gonna hit what I like.  My Miura MC102's are a Muscle Cavity iron that I love the look of and I can hit the ball really good with.  If you like the Cleveland's and can deal with being a little off on the bad shots then you can hit just about anything.  The more you play them, the better you get.

49 minutes ago, Lagavulin62 said:

Basically as far as irons I found that the distances for each iron loft have not changed much at all from 20 to 30 years ago

So whatever you decide just know your not giving up 30-50 yards with your old irons.  All you prob need is a lie adjustment and new grips.

Irons lofts changed a lot in 30 years especially if you look at the Taylor Made line.  I think they bump them up 2 degrees every year.  That is how they can say their new 5 iron goes farther.  Last year it was 32 degrees, this year it is 30 degrees.

If you know your irons then you know what club to play.  If you rely on what others are hitting and use the same club, you might have very different results.

Here is a great chart that sums up the loft changes over the years.

Image result for ping g2 club stats

A guy in our Senior's group plays G2 from 5i - PW. (Replaced the longer ones with hybrids).

He wins more skins than I do.

That said, you might try the G25 and G irons. The G25 with the CFS shaft really flew nicely at a Christmas-past demo day.

If you an do a side-by-side with the G2 and other irons, you could tell if an upgrade might improve ball-striking and distance.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I found the stats for your G2's.  They might help you see if/where you have gaps in your clubs/yardages.

3     21.0°
4     23.8°
5     27.0°
6     30.5°
7     34.3°
8     38.3°
9     42.5°
PW     47.0°
UW     50.5°
SW     54.0°
LW     58.0°

15 minutes ago, Vinny Cap said:

I hear you on liking what you hit as all my irons I like and that's why I bought them.  Sure my Mizuno MP67's might be a blade type of iron but I can hit the ball pretty good and I play for enjoyment not money so I am gonna hit what I like.  My Miura MC102's are a Muscle Cavity iron that I love the look of and I can hit the ball really good with.  If you like the Cleveland's and can deal with being a little off on the bad shots then you can hit just about anything.  The more you play them, the better you get.

Irons lofts changed a lot in 30 years especially if you look at the Taylor Made line.  I think they bump them up 2 degrees every year.  That is how they can say their new 5 iron goes farther.  Last year it was 32 degrees, this year it is 30 degrees.

If you know your irons then you know what club to play.  If you rely on what others are hitting and use the same club, you might have very different results.

Here is a great chart that sums up the loft changes over the years.

Image result for ping g2 club stats

Yeah thats why I refered to irons per loft. I mean calling a club a 4 iron doesnt mean much when it used to mean a 3 iron or 2 iron. And even then they are off by a degree or two. But on average people hit 30 loft irons about the same as 20 years ago.  

I was in a golf shop the other day and noticed on the Hogans they don't even name them numbers. They use the loft number. 

7 minutes ago, Lagavulin62 said:

Yeah thats why I refered to irons per loft. I mean calling a club a 4 iron doesnt mean much when it used to mean a 3 iron or 2 iron. And even then they are off by a degree or two. But on average people hit 30 loft irons about the same as 20 years ago.  

I was in a golf shop the other day and noticed on the Hogans they don't even name them numbers. They use the loft number. 

I get ya now, sorry.  I thought you were thinking the other way like there is no difference.  I was like What???  Big difference when I can hit my Ping Eye2 7 iron as far as I hit my Miura 8 iron or my Mizuno 9 iron.

But for the MFG's they don't mind changing it because to them, saying I can hit my 5 iron as far as you hit your 4 makes some gullible people buy their irons.

5 minutes ago, Vinny Cap said:

I get ya now, sorry.  I thought you were thinking the other way like there is no difference.  I was like What???  Big difference when I can hit my Ping Eye2 7 iron as far as I hit my Miura 8 iron or my Mizuno 9 iron.

But for the MFG's they don't mind changing it because to them, saying I can hit my 5 iron as far as you hit your 4 makes some gullible people buy their irons.

No offence taken. Text can be difficult at times. Thats a great chart.  Thanks for sharing. 

Got a chance to hit the Ping i Series at the nearby Golfsmith, felt great when I struck the ball well, but they did punish less than perfect shots.  I hit the P, 7, 5 clubs and all showed a few yards in distance gains over my G2's.  However, there wasn't a huge difference and the main benefit to me was the superior looks.  But I don't think I need to spend several hundred dollars just to be able to look at some shiny i's or Srixons (those Z545's are beautiful).  

Now I know the i Series is less of a game improvement club and if I try say the G30's, I may see another few yards of distance gains and shots may hold their line a bit better if not struck well.  However, my understanding is that my G2's are plenty forgiving and if a shot goes well off line, well that's not the clubs fault.  So it seems that my time and money would be better spent playing as much as I can to become as consistent a ball striker as possible so those kinds of shots don't happen.  Golf is cheap around here, several hundred dollars can pay for A LOT of golf...

Diego’s Gear

Note: This thread is 2734 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!