IGNORED

Pinehurst for Thanksgiving

DaveP043
Note: This thread is 2692 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've only recently realized how close we are to Thanksgiving.  Following our tradition of the last few years, my wife and I will be spending the whole week at our condo at Talamore.  We definitely know our way around, and have some favorite courses and restaurants, but we're always looking to expand our choices.  So if anyone has any suggestions, please let us know.  Anything, really, bars, restaurants, golf courses, sightseeing, anything.  Might just have to play Tobacco Road two or three times, just in case.....:whistle:

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

We won't be at Tobacco Road.

FWIW. :-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

10 hours ago, iacas said:

We won't be at Tobacco Road.

FWIW. :-)

In that case, I'll only play there once.  Its been a couple of years, but its good fun.

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

The wee between Christmas and New Year I am taking my 2 boys down with me, some cheap winter (by NC standards) golf. I am using it as a scouting trip for April annual; guys trip. I am looking to expand the course a little bit this year.

8 rounds - I am the planner I have the below list kind of confirmed, any other suggestions?

Pine Needles 2x

Pinehurst #7 and 9, possible 4 or 8 but regardless 2 of these 4.

Southern Pines

Need 3 complete, I am trying to keep prices a bit lower due to the above being premium, but at the end the golf is more important then the price. We have played Mid South, Talamore, Mid Pines, Tobacco Road, Dormie, Pinewild both courses over the years. plus several PH courses.

Is there any good to very good places I am missing?

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

1 hour ago, Lefty-Golfer said:

8 rounds - I am the planner I have the below list kind of confirmed, any other suggestions?

Pine Needles 2x

Pinehurst #7 and 9, possible 4 or 8 but regardless 2 of these 4.

Southern Pines

Need 3 complete, I am trying to keep prices a bit lower due to the above being premium, but at the end the golf is more important then the price. We have played Mid South, Talamore, Mid Pines, Tobacco Road, Dormie, Pinewild both courses over the years. plus several PH courses.

Your list of past and planned courses covers all of the places I'd recommend.  I prefer MidPines to Pine Needles, but both are really good.  Legacy Golf Course gets some good publicity, but I found it pretty average the one time I played there.  My condo is at Talamore, and I know the course there was renovated over the summer, the primary change being brand new greens.  I'll let you know what the course looks like after Thanksgiving.  

Dave

I always found Longleaf interesting. It was built on the site of an old horse farm and If I recall they left the fenced track in where they trained horses. Part of the fairway is in the middle of the fenced track. It was reasonably priced too.

8 minutes ago, MikeyT said:

I always found Longleaf interesting. It was built on the site of an old horse farm and If I recall they left the fenced track in where they trained horses. Part of the fairway is in the middle of the fenced track. It was reasonably priced too.

Its very reasonably priced, but its not been in great shape in recent years.  I understand they've had financial issues, and maintenance of the course has suffered.  Its been a couple of years since I played there, perhaps its improved since then, but I wasn't impressed at the time.

Dave

It has been a few years since I've been there. We also enjoyed Woodlake which isn't far and I understand The Pit has closed. I remember Woodlake because an 8 foot black snake slithered over my shoes while looking for a ball. I've tried to forget it but can't-:)

Note: This thread is 2692 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!