IGNORED

Paige Spiranac on Cyber Bullying

iacas
Note: This thread is 2653 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

.... just words on a screen Paige.    Turn it off, I did .. permanently... participating in social media isn't a requirement to be an alive human being.    Texting / email can be enough to keep in touch with friends.

But I'm old ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 hours ago, inthehole said:

.... just words on a screen Paige.    Turn it off, I did .. permanently... participating in social media isn't a requirement to be an alive human being.    Texting / email can be enough to keep in touch with friends.

But I'm old ...

I am in no way condoning "cyber bullying," but being ignorant of social media (TST is the only form of social media in which I participate), I would tend to agree with @inthehole...I use texting and email for communication and couldn't care  less about what other people (who don't even know me) think of me.  

Having said that, I do realize that I'm not a public figure and don't make my living through marketing to include, but not limited to, online media...and for those that do like Paige, it would be difficult to escape. Still, I would like to think that if every member here started to ridicule me, I don't believe I would get so worked up over it to the point of emotional breakdown...I think I'd just decide to leave...end of story. But maybe I'm being naive and don't get it. Of course, Pariss Island tends to make one a little immune to that sort of thing.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

14 minutes ago, woodzie264 said:

I am in no way condoning "cyber bullying," but being ignorant of social media (TST is the only form of social media in which I participate), I would tend to agree with @inthehole...I use texting and email for communication and couldn't care  less about what other people (who don't even know me) think of me.  

Having said that, I do realize that I'm not a public figure and don't make my living through marketing to include, but not limited to, online media...and for those that do like Paige, it would be difficult to escape. Still, I would like to think that if every member here started to ridicule me, I don't believe I would get so worked up over it to the point of emotional breakdown...I think I'd just decide to leave...end of story. But maybe I'm being naive and don't get it. Of course, Pariss Island tends to make one a little immune to that sort of thing.

I agree with you about social media. I wouldn't leave a site if some one bad mouthed me, but I do ignore folks all the time, who want cause me grief, or try to intimidate me. They are simply not worth my time. Then again like you said I too am not a famous person who's livelyhood depends on public perception. 

I don't have a problem believing this lady might have gained some positive publicity over this attack. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

This is a great topic.  I think many people get worked up about words when discussing this because they are taking different perspectives. Some choose to understand the situation and describe things a certain way.  Some choose to take action and thus don't have issues with the "understanding" camp's words.  I don't think it's really people seeing things differently.  Mostly people who are choosing to deal with this issue (hypothetically and also in their lives) in different ways.  As much as we would like to police the bullying, it's not something that can be fully policed due to the current makeup /setup of the internet.  You have very little consequences on what perhaps in the future would be considered cyber crimes.  The problem is that it takes a lot of time and laws etc to make this change.  And even then, like for example racial discrimination will still happen just because, well, people.  But there can be things that can be done, although I think it's way outside the scope of this forum.  Good to bring awareness to it though, and should help the community stay healthy.  

Note: This thread is 2653 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!