IGNORED

My Swing (Wanzo)

Wanzo
Note: This thread is 1206 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Yeah, good, KISS. :-) Check the finish with the belt forward, knees (left especially) extended, still in your tilts with good arm and club angles. You'll get it quickly.

Thanks for the note. That is helpful and confirms some of the feels I was going for. I’ll keep at it, keeping it simple and focused while confirming these checks. Thanks again. 

Matt          My Swing

:ping: G425 Max Driver

Sub 70 3 wood, 3 hybrid and 5-p 639CB

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

Sub 70 004 Mallet

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thought I would post a couple pieces of practice to this thread with the main drill and feels I’m working on daily right now. Trying to eliminate a small flip and have better club face control. Working on keeping club outside hands going back, shallowing with right elbow leading going down then “hit it with my pivot”. So square club face that way as opposed to hands rolling over quickly. The “pump” is too big and I could stand to slow down a little more but heading in the right direction. 

Matt          My Swing

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

Sub 70 004 Mallet

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Wanzo said:

The “pump” is too big and I could stand to slow down a little more but heading in the right direction. 

The pump is a bit too big (you can see the shaft steepen a bit), but the "hit it with the pivot" thing is kinda best done with a little speed. So long as the speed is with your hips.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

The pump is a bit too big (you can see the shaft steepen a bit), but the "hit it with the pivot" thing is kinda best done with a little speed. So long as the speed is with your hips.

Thanks Erik, I noticed that the practice motions looked good then on the hit the shaft did get much steeper. I’ll make that a focus. 

Matt          My Swing

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

Sub 70 004 Mallet

• 7 months later...

I'm going to try to refresh this thread and get to practicing again.  I tried to mostly just play this summer, not focus on too much technical in my swing.  Mostly putting and short game when i did practice.  Got my handicap down to 6.6.  I went back over this thread and refreshed on some of the main ideas today.  I'll upload a video after I've had a couple of practice sessions working on these feels again.  One thing i found in my practice session today was it seems that hovering my club helps get me started with the things i need to work on, getting the clubhead up a little quicker going back and then shortening the back swing a bit.  Still feels a little awkward, but i know that long term i really need to get this down to become a more consistent ball striker.  

Matt          My Swing

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

Sub 70 004 Mallet

1 hour ago, Wanzo said:

One thing i found in my practice session today was it seems that hovering my club helps get me started with the things i need to work on

I remembered this drill from the instruction portion of the site....this is a better description of what i was working on to help my backswing, kuchar takeaway drill.

Edited by Wanzo

Matt          My Swing

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

Sub 70 004 Mallet

• 1 month later...

Back on Evolvr and excited to work on my swing.  The main priority right now is to shorten the arm swing in the backswing, shallow more coming down, and get more in sync to help eliminate my miss of a pull and improve contact. 

1.  feel a narrower backswing, feel more hinging so the club gets to parallel without the hands moving much

image.png.6fffa15d5732b1238629e646ca0a32c4.png

2. feel the right tricep stay on the rib-cage, but with soft arms.  Upper body will turn less and keep elbows and hands from lifting at the top. 

image.png.13573f1c00df57aaf503de1c1f0150b2.png

3. drill: setup a club distance away from a wall behind me and practice club hinging up and missing the wall

image.png.e2287efaf37dcab278d300e881d4f98a.png

Matt          My Swing

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

Sub 70 004 Mallet

• 2 weeks later...

Keeping the same feels for now in my practice sessions.  Need to keep working slow. Wall drill to get the club up faster, feel a narrow backswing and wrist hinge.  Just going to add to feel the right elbow stay more in front early through p2.  Instead of right elbow getting behind my shirt seem so quickly.  Keep feeling right elbow forward and shallowing coming down.  More focus on backswing for now though. 

image.thumb.png.f90ac01f438d109132057dbe3b16c458.png

Matt          My Swing

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

Sub 70 004 Mallet

• 2 months later...

putting tweaks in setup per evolvr:

-weaken left hand grip

-more forward bend

-soft elbows

Matt          My Swing

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

Sub 70 004 Mallet

• 2 weeks later...

Full swing evolvr notes:  keep working the drill to feel the backswing more narrow and shorter to stop the arms from running on.  Exaggerate the laying down the shaft feel a bit more and slow way down especially on the pump where I hit the ball so I can keep the shaft from tipping out.  Make sure to keep steady head to start downswing to keep axis tilt.  Feel swinging out to the right through impact. Some drills before I got these notes.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Matt          My Swing

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

Sub 70 004 Mallet

Can't help with your swing but it looks like you pretty much know what you're doing.  I'm just wondering, is that your home practice set-up?  If so, it looks pretty sweet.  It looks like you have a projector--do you have any golf related software?

2 hours ago, Effington said:

I'm just wondering, is that your home practice set-up?  If so, it looks pretty sweet.  It looks like you have a projector--do you have any golf related software?

I built it a few years ago and I have a flightscope with some tru golf software.  I don’t use the software or flightscope near as much as I thought I would.  I use the practice area almost daily, especially in the winter.  But I’ve found I kind of prefer to not get distracted by how far I hit shots or the numbers when I’m working on my swing.  So I just don’t turn it on often.  I’ll use it to check my swing path or work on wedge distances some.  But typically I just leave it off and work on my swing at home then I’ll see my ball flight etc when I’m at the range.  Although this time of year I will turn it on some since weather is bad.  

Matt          My Swing

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

Sub 70 004 Mallet

• 3 weeks later...

Putting notes per latest evolvr lesson:  

-Setup tweaks looking better, keep them a focus until they are natural.  

-Need to keep working on steady head, still rocking a bit too much

-start working on feeling the putter fall on the down stroke.  Feeling as if gravity is propelling it forward.  Have a little too much "hit" and long follow through.

Matt          My Swing

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

Sub 70 004 Mallet

On 1/9/2019 at 7:10 AM, Wanzo said:

I built it a few years ago and I have a flightscope with some tru golf software.  I don’t use the software or flightscope near as much as I thought I would.  I use the practice area almost daily, especially in the winter.  But I’ve found I kind of prefer to not get distracted by how far I hit shots or the numbers when I’m working on my swing.  So I just don’t turn it on often.  I’ll use it to check my swing path or work on wedge distances some.  But typically I just leave it off and work on my swing at home then I’ll see my ball flight etc when I’m at the range.  Although this time of year I will turn it on some since weather is bad.  

How tall are the ceilings? I am 6'4 and was wondering how tall of ceilings I would need.

18 minutes ago, Swooshgolf said:

How tall are the ceilings? I am 6'4 and was wondering how tall of ceilings I would need.

they were 10 feet before finished, putting in the drop ceiling took it down to about 9'6" i think.  I'm only 5'10 and it's plenty for me.  My uncle who is your height has swung in the room without problems, but i'm sure it depends on your swing and you want to make sure you don't feel cramped or that you are changing your swing to accommodate the ceiling height.  

Matt          My Swing

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

Sub 70 004 Mallet

6 minutes ago, Wanzo said:

they were 10 feet before finished, putting in the drop ceiling took it down to about 9'6" i think.  I'm only 5'10 and it's plenty for me.  My uncle who is your height has swung in the room without problems, but i'm sure it depends on your swing and you want to make sure you don't feel cramped or that you are changing your swing to accommodate the ceiling height.  

We're looking to build soon and I would love to have something similar in my basement. I was thinking getting 10 ft but I didn't really know. I have pretty long arms with my 6'7 wingspan.

• 3 weeks later...

Evolvr notes:

Keep exaggerating the takeaway changes and  flattening of the shaft motion with out  pauses at a very slow speed.

Add in left wrist flexion on the down swing.

Keep monitoring head movement in the downswing

Matt          My Swing

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

Sub 70 004 Mallet

• 4 weeks later...

Latest Evolvr Notes:

Add in a feeling that the hips are opening to start the downswing as the shoulders are slow to open or even not opening.  this should help tie some of the other pieces i'm working on together.  

Matt          My Swing

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

Sub 70 004 Mallet

Note: This thread is 1206 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!