IGNORED

How would you hit this shot? (high and low shots using same ball position)

Note: This thread is 2642 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
17 minutes ago, Rainmaker said:

See. .that shows how confused I still am . .I'm thinking . . steeper AoA . .ball goes higher . . .

Steeper means more downward.

I'm not talking about spin, either… just launch angle.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Rainmaker said:

See. .that shows how confused I still am . .I'm thinking . . steeper AoA . .ball goes higher . . .

The club is de-lofted more. . .

EDIT: Sorry, see what Erik wrote. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• Administrator
10 hours ago, Lihu said:

The club is de-lofted more. . .

Not necessarily.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

18 hours ago, Lihu said:

Yeah, although, I prefer to call them "thin" shots, and reserve the term "skull" for shanked and thinned or something equally "egregious" :-D

http://golf.about.com/od/golfterms/g/bldef_skull.htm

Just a joke, as in regardless of what I'd try to do, that's probably what I'd actually do

- adam -

Routine: work, eat, golf, sleep, repeat

Clubs: (All Used TaylorMade) Burner Superfast Driver, JetSpeed 3&5 FW, Rescue Hybrid, Burner 2.0 Irons 5-AW, ATV Wedge 56*, White Ghost blade putter

On 1/25/2017 at 10:36 PM, Rainmaker said:

This video may be helpful on that part then. It sounded like when you were trying to hit under obstacles you weren't de-lofting the face much vs. normal, but hitting down extra.

Edited by natureboy
  • Upvote 1

Kevin

On 1/25/2017 at 7:51 PM, Golfingdad said:

I'm not sure what you mean by "a long way" but the amount of backspin you have to put on a ball with a PW to make it travel 100 yards in the air - at any height - is not going to permit much roll.

I'm not positive that's always automatic. To start, you're taking about 20 yards off a typical PW to hit it 100 yards. If you de-loft it a lot you can get a less oblique impact (less spin) at that lower speed while also lowering the AoA further than normal to lower the trajectory so that even if it lands with a fair bit of remaining spin, the velocity and very shallow landing angle can let it release a lot - especially if the greens are hard and fast.

Edited by natureboy

Kevin

10 hours ago, natureboy said:

I'm not positive that's always automatic. To start, you're taking about 20 yards off a typical PW to hit it 100 yards. If you de-loft it a lot you can get a less oblique impact (less spin) at that lower speed while also lowering the AoA further than normal to lower the trajectory so that even if it lands with a fair bit of remaining spin, the velocity and very shallow landing angle can let it release a lot - especially if the greens are hard and fast.

Please don't take this the wrong way @natureboy, but you overanalyze everything. Back up a bit. Read what is posted. Focus on one thing at a time if you really want to improve.

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I went to another lesson and brought this up . .because in my lesson we're working on trying to control trajectory - high and low shots, etc.  

The keys are to dramatically de-loft the face by arriving to impact with your hands way forward . .and staying down a long time through the shot . .ie . .not changing or lifting out of spine angle.   

He took my 7 iron and hit a shot that went about 80 yards about 2-3 feet off the ground.  When he showed me slower - the face was about vertical . .like a putter . .at impact.  

Not lifting out of spine angle early is what we're specifically working on to get me a more penetrating flight . .it's going well . .but it will take me a while to figure out the 3 foot high 7 iron shot, lol.

@Rainmaker golf is hard enough, I'm not sure why you would dynamically want to change the launch angle during the swing. If I want to hit a shot under a tree I'm never going to set-up to it normally.

Hit it low - ball back, hands forward.

Hit it high - ball forward.

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Yeah . . .I can't argue with any of that @mvmac.  For the last couple months in my lessons I've been working on controlling trajectory by feeling how to flex the shaft differently.  Earlier for a high shot and later for a low shot.  As a demo of the extreme, my teacher hit one of these 2 foot high bullets and I kind of became obsessed with trying to figure it out.  I hardly even play golf - like 2 or 3 rounds a year . . but I'm constantly practicing and taking lessons.  Why do I do anything I do, lol?  I kinda just want to.  

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Rainmaker said:

Yeah . . .I can't argue with any of that @mvmac.

Just typing @mvmac doesn't tag anyone. You have to choose the name: @mvmac.

https://thesandtrap.com/how-to/mention-members

5 hours ago, Rainmaker said:

For the last couple months in my lessons I've been working on controlling trajectory by feeling how to flex the shaft differently.

Rory McIlroy could work on the same thing and not get anywhere. If your pro can hit it extreme trajectories with a similar set-up he's doing something dynamically during the swing the change the loft and angle of attack. Moving his upper center forward, dragging the handle way forward, swinging well down and left, etc. 

If feeling like you're trying to hit it lower helped you achieve better impact conditions, then great but like I said it's not something a good player is going to do on the course, much easier to adjust set-up.

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

4 hours ago, mvmac said:

Rory McIlroy could work on the same thing and not get anywhere. If your pro can hit it extreme trajectories with a similar set-up he's doing something dynamically during the swing the change the loft and angle of attack. Moving his upper center forward, dragging the handle way forward, swinging well down and left, etc. 

If feeling like you're trying to hit it lower helped you achieve better impact conditions, then great but like I said it's not something a good player is going to do on the course, much easier to adjust set-up.

I hear you . .and I don't think the point is for me to work on it - just to understand it.  Yeah - for sure - he delofts the club by putting his hands way forward (for this shot) and lessens the angle of attack by stressing the shaft later and staying down longer.  It's a little too advanced for me yet. .but I think he holds the stress on the shaft all the way into the ball . .into the ball for a high shot and past it for a low one.  For my high shot . .I'm still stressing the shaft and letting it go . .for the low one I'm probably still letting it go - but like a millisecond later, lol.  

• Administrator

You're making it all way more complex than it is.

I don't think you've ever posted a Member Swing thread. And I don't think your instructor is very good. You don't list a handicap. You asked a question about just turning your hips…

I don't get any of this. It feels like you're going about this all wrong.

21 minutes ago, Rainmaker said:

Yeah - for sure - he delofts the club by putting his hands way forward (for this shot) and lessens the angle of attack by stressing the shaft later and staying down longer.

Remember a steeper angle of attack launches the ball lower. Shallow launches it higher, think Jack Nicklaus.

22 minutes ago, Rainmaker said:

It's a little too advanced for me yet. .but I think he holds the stress on the shaft all the way into the ball . .into the ball for a high shot and past it for a low one.  For my high shot . .I'm still stressing the shaft and letting it go . .for the low one I'm probably still letting it go - but like a millisecond later,

Not how it works. I'd recommend you stop being concerned about "stressing" the shaft.

Mike McLoughlin

• Administrator

@Rainmaker almost every shaft is actually in lead deflection at impact.

Please reconsider how you're approaching all of this.

I hear what you guys are saying and . .fair enough . .I can't argue.  Obviously I know you guys know what you're talking about.  I know my pro does, too, though . . . even if he's wrong about what actually happens (which I think he might be . .I don't know) . . it does seem to be helping me get a better, more penetrating iron flight.  

I'm about to post a my swing thread - it will be interesting to hear what you guys think I need to work on most.  Just remember, . .I'm not trying to *prove* anything . . I'm not saying I can flex the shaft however I want and control trajectory . . or anything like that.  I tend to hit a "high floater" . .I'd like to bring it down.

10 hours ago, Rainmaker said:

I hear what you guys are saying and . .fair enough . .I can't argue.  Obviously I know you guys know what you're talking about.  I know my pro does, too, though . . . even if he's wrong about what actually happens (which I think he might be . .I don't know) . . it does seem to be helping me get a better, more penetrating iron flight.  

I'm about to post a my swing thread - it will be interesting to hear what you guys think I need to work on most.  Just remember, . .I'm not trying to *prove* anything . . I'm not saying I can flex the shaft however I want and control trajectory . . or anything like that.

What you are proposing is a lot harder to do than just to fix your setup. I just can't imagine trying to change the flex of the shaft on command?

10 hours ago, Rainmaker said:

I tend to hit a "high floater" . .I'd like to bring it down.

Are you absolutely sure that you aren't flipping or anything like that?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Note: This thread is 2642 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!