IGNORED

Best Shot of the Week

iacas

Hit my Personal Best Drive today ... 262 yards and dead center in the short-grass and to the center of the corner on a dog-leg par 4. 9 iron into the green - 2 putt for par.

Mark Boyd of the Clan Boyd
"Retired in my Dreams"

Had 3 great shots last time I played

335 yard drive on a par 5, had only 205 to the pin but I screwed up my second shot

Had 210 into a green, put it within 15ft with a hybrid 5 iron for a birdie chance

135 from the right rough, 3rd shot on a par 5, used a 1980's Wilson Tour staff blade 9 iron to 20 ft

210 yards to green in left hand rough. Had to draw it around trees about 100 yards away and had restricted back swing due to trees behind. Managed to hit low drawing 4 iron to land short of the green and then run on. Was about 25 ft from the pin, and did not make the putt, but the shot was one of those that puts a real smile on your face.

Sand save to within 2 feet of the cup, tapped in for the only par of the round
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 2009 FW: Adams Tight Lies 3w Irons: Bridgestone Precept Tour Premium EC603 3-PW Wedges: Cleveland DW/SW Adams LW Putter: Odyssey White Hot XG Marxman

6 iron from about 173 in the long rough, sittin up. No wind to speak of. Green was tucked between a bunker in front and a bunker from the left (which is where I approached from)

I hit a natural fade to slice so I aimed at the left flanking bunker and let her rip. Ball stopped about 16 ' from the pin. I 2 putted for par.

In my Titleist stand bag

Ping G5 Driver
Ping G5 3w
Adams tight lies 7wTommy Armour 845 3-PWPurespin SWOdyssey Putter

Two shots for me:

First one was on a par 3, uphill. I teed off and hit it short (and short-sided). Pullled out my 60* and pitched it just perfectly to within 6 inches for a par on a very tough hole location on a very tough par 3.

Second one was my drive on a 400 yd par 4. You have to hit it over a hill and then if you can carry it ~230 down the left tree-lined side of the fairway you'll get a good bounce coming back down the hill (typically 25 extra yards). I absolutely crushed it; it really sounded like a cannon going off. I knew it was going to be good, so walking over the hill I keep looking for it and looking for it; ended up by the 100 yard marker. Any other hole it probably would've been ~250-260 yd shot; but here it was right around 290-300.

Holed a birdie putt from off the fringe. ~ 20 feet. Was sweet!

Callaway Org14 Sport w/ Clicgear Cart:

Callaway X 460 9* - Callaway X 15* - TaylorMade 19*/21* Hybrid - Callaway Diablo Forged 4-PW - Titleist 50/56/60 - Rife Cayman Brac - Bridgestone xFIXx/B330-RX - TRUE Linkswear Supporter!

Hard par 4 hole, going upwards with left dogleg. Goes mostly straight from middle of dogleg to the green, but the green has a big bunker in front and starts on the top of a small "hill"/bump. There is also a tree standing in the middle, thats easy to get in the way on the second shot. The pin is almost at the top of the green, right behind the bunker.

Well, with the driver from the tee I got up almost to the top. It remained about 140-150 yards. The tree was a bit in the way, but the scariest part was that the bunker was right in front of the pin. I would usually here pull out my 8 iron and play it safely on the green to the side of the bunker. But I was playing so well that I thought I give the pin a shot. Pull out the 7 iron, aimed a bit to the left of the tree, and a bit left to the pin. Got the nicest clean hit. The ball landed hard and didnt roll far even on the downhill green. About 5 yards for a birdie. Didnt go so well, when the ball stopped 1 inch from the hole........... but a really nice par, and one of my best shots with the 7 iron :)

6 iron punch from 30 yards, 10 yards in the trees, off of a leaf, up hill, over nothing but dirt till the fringe started. Didn't ground the club (just in case). It rolled up to 2 ft from the pin to save par.

Yesterday was a good day. I shot a 99 on greens that turned one puts into 2 and two puts into three. Maybe when the greens out here get better I'll find myself consistently under 100.

In my Ogio Cart Bag
Driver: 460 10.5 R7
4- S Wedge: R7 CGB Max
Putter: Afinity Cheapo Putter
Balls: I generally use them

Hole 13, shortest par 4 of the course at about 314 from the white tees. The hole is straight but you hit on the top of a hill, the fairway goes down and up like a small valley, and the green is slightly below the tee box, but still an uphill approach. Hit an awesome drive, as good as I can hit it, about 250-260. Pulled out the Dual Wedge and put it right on the fringe, again, about as good as i can hit it. Came up to the ball and thought about chipping, but instead I decided to use my putter. I was about 16-18 feet friom the cup. I drew the putter back, let her go and saw the ball track right into the hole. I threw up my arms like I won the Open, second birdie I have ever got in my life. Too bad it was the last hole I had time to play today.
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 2009 FW: Adams Tight Lies 3w Irons: Bridgestone Precept Tour Premium EC603 3-PW Wedges: Cleveland DW/SW Adams LW Putter: Odyssey White Hot XG Marxman

Not really a good shot, par 3 135 yards, hit a 6 iron pretty thin but it carried most of the way to the green and rolled to within 3 feet for a tap-in birdie. About time I made one with a mishit!

160 yard par three over water that I hhave a magnetic attraction to drowning balls in. I stuck the green 10 feet from the hole just as I pictured it happening. (truthfully I pictured it in the hole.)

That was good, but I hit my put to give our three man scramble another birdie. I love taking over the holes.

In my Ogio Cart Bag
Driver: 460 10.5 R7
4- S Wedge: R7 CGB Max
Putter: Afinity Cheapo Putter
Balls: I generally use them

Pulled my second shot on a par 5 into the left rough, about 80 yards out. I was under a tree, with another tree in front of me. My friend, whose handicap is about ten lower than mine was urging me to punch it out on the fairway. It would have been the right play, but I wasn't having a very good round anyway, and decided that there was a hole where I could get out under the tree over me, and then over the tree in front of that. One of those tempting holes through the trees that so rarely work out. Why not give it a try?

Trouble was, the trajectory on any of my wedges was too steep to get out of the tree I was under. I calculated the loft that I needed was my 9i. Hitting shorter clubs at less than a full swing is not one of my strong points. But I could visualize the shot pretty well, and I decided to give it a go. Took about a half swing with my 9i and put the ball right through the hole between the trees and onto the green. Missed the 15 foot birdie putt, but tapped in for par.

a 3/4 smooth 9 iron on a 125 yard par 3 - up hill with a 10 mph breeze helping. The pic says it all ...

Mark Boyd of the Clan Boyd
"Retired in my Dreams"