IGNORED

How do I stop coming over the top?

Note: This thread is 4083 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by colin007

that looks like what ruined tigers swing with hank haney...

This is a drill to help beginner golfers who come drastically over the top.  It makes you do the opposite so you can feel what it's like.  That's the thing about drills and tips - what is right for you depends on your current swing vs what you are trying to achieve.  You really need to understand both or you will go crazy with tips.  I would be surprised if Tiger and Hank spent much time on this drill - but maybe if Tiger was struggling with a huge slice at the time . . .  you never know.

• Upvote 1

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Newbie Collection Agency

Make sure you get a good shoulder turn going back, Then try to keep the shoulders turned as you start your downswing. You may feel as though you are going to slam the clubhead straight into the ground way behind the ball, but you won't.

This is a tip I have recently been given in my lessons.  I was not rotating my shoulders enough and compensating for this with a break in my arms causing me to go all over the place.  locking the left arm out (I am right handed) as much as possible and using the shoulders to complete the back swing has really helped me control the club and impact.

I also found when I was coming over the top that when I had a video of myself i was straightening up in my stance a tiny bit on the way through the down swing and follow through so concentrated on keeping my head down and eyes locked on the impact point and not trying to follow the ball with my head as soon as I hit it.  This also helped me stop applying too much draw.

hope this helps a little and apologies if this has already been said

Originally Posted by Stretch

This is the best lesson I've seen to prevent coming over the top. I have a drill that I give people that is designed to do the same thing... (involves a tree or golf bag just out of reach of the backswing), but this drill is much better. If this is something that Cathy Schmidt came up with...my complements. This is a great drill!!

The beauty of this drill and this video, is it not only stops you from coming over the top, but, as the vidoe shows, power is generated when the club works away from your body through the hitting area rather than toward your body.

• 2 months later...

Iv  tried all the above and more without success.then just the other day whilst hitting balls it just entered my head to do this. i swing back straight back to 6 oclock(12 oclock is target). I only concentrate on my left arm angle.so when my arm reaches paralel to the ground just befor reaching the top i concentrate on my arm angle to face 5 instead of 6.so my back swing is nice and slow up to 6 oclock then just think and feel your left arm change the angle or arm line from shoulder to hand to 5 oclock  then swing in that order.i feel that my shots have more power ,better connection and the only mistake is a draw or hook at worst. I have looked at so many tips on this and have never heard anyone describe the downswing this way. i would appreciate if anyone who trys this can thay please send me their comments on this site or my email which is philco@live.co.uk..i find that when i change my arm angle conciously my legs start the swing automaticly. good luck , and if im talking rubbish let know that too ,10 handicap . hope it helps every one

Note: This thread is 4083 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!