IGNORED

Swing Numbers

Note: This thread is 2625 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The simulator at Dicks was different than the one that gave me these numbers and it seemed to be a little more accurate to me. Although it gave me some distances that don't seem possible, it had my swing speed in the low 120's and a max of 125. I know I have a pretty fast ss, I've never played with anyone who consistently outdrives me, but this gave me some better results. The launch angle was around 13 and the spin was under 3000. Thanks everyone for the replies!

Glad you got it figured out. The simulaters can be a great tool to moniter progress, but only if we can reach some accuracy. I used it two times, not with my clubs, just playing around with what they had. Got some useful driver information but thats pretty much it.  Maybe the day is coming when these are standard on the grass ranges with much more depentable machines? 

The sims these indoor pro shops use can be very iffy at times.  Some "juice" their software to spit out better numbers to push product.  Some do not tune their software correctly which can spit out all sorts of weird numbers, and some can be very accurate.  At least for me, I do not hit well in indoor sims and prefer to hit outside. My club luckily has a Flightscope so I can see the actually ball flight and distance and compare to the flight scope numbers and get a really good gauge on the accuracy of it which is usually pretty spot on. 

I finally went and got fit for clubs to see what I actually need and one of the problems was I had the wrong shafts for all of my clubs based off my swing speed, tempo and other things. I'm now confident that I can work on my swing and fix some of the faults I have now with the right fit for my swing. 

The About Golf simulator u were using...either needs to be calibrated or the settings for the golfers name on the screen are messed up.  You can select a golfers name, go to " customize" and boost or even unboost different parameters for that person hitting woods, irons, chips etc...

Best to look for a GC2 launch monitor if you're looking for indoor numbers.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, Typhoon92 said:

The About Golf simulator u were using...either needs to be calibrated or the settings for the golfers name on the screen are messed up.  You can select a golfers name, go to " customize" and boost or even unboost different parameters for that person hitting woods, irons, chips etc...

Is there a legitimate reason for this function?  I've been trying to think of a situation where having this option is needed, but I can't.  If it's a simulator used for recreational purposes it doesn't really matter I guess, but any simulator or launch monitor used for collecting or displaying launch data for fittings or research shouldn't have the option to alter the results IMO.

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

This is weird, can't figure out why either but there are settings in there for juniors, women and long hitters.  If I remember, I'll take a picture of it when I work later in the week.

For some reason standard settings don't give the right numbers on woods and irons for some people..  Sometimes I go on under a neither name and the woods might be too short but the irons are going stupidly long.

When I'm at Golfsmjth, theirs are usually set to "player" which, unless they did something to it,  should just be left alone.  Its be fine for most people.

You can also go in and change the ground to " hard" for more roll and crank the wind up from a certain direction.  One night we were putzing around and was able to set up the range so u could hit the ball 150-200 yards further with driver.

It's really great having people who know what they're talking about add their insights here.

11 hours ago, Typhoon92 said:

Does GC2 (Foresight) also have the ability to tweak the numbers? It seems like there was some option the salesmen were talking about?

9 hours ago, 1badbadger said:

Is there a legitimate reason for this function?  I've been trying to think of a situation where having this option is needed, but I can't.  If it's a simulator used for recreational purposes it doesn't really matter I guess, but any simulator or launch monitor used for collecting or displaying launch data for fittings or research shouldn't have the option to alter the results IMO.

I agree, that's a strange thing to put on a launch monitor?

2 hours ago, Typhoon92 said:

This is weird, can't figure out why either but there are settings in there for juniors, women and long hitters.  If I remember, I'll take a picture of it when I work later in the week.

For some reason standard settings don't give the right numbers on woods and irons for some people..  Sometimes I go on under a neither name and the woods might be too short but the irons are going stupidly long.

When I'm at Golfsmjth, theirs are usually set to "player" which, unless they did something to it,  should just be left alone.  Its be fine for most people.

You can also go in and change the ground to " hard" for more roll and crank the wind up from a certain direction.  One night we were putzing around and was able to set up the range so u could hit the ball 150-200 yards further with driver.

I was told some people at my local Golfsmith (Now Dick's/Golf Galaxy) in Pasadena did the same thing. For instance, a 104mph swing getting 300 yards carry?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• Administrator

Lots of simulators have the ability to boost or whatever. It's just another way of handicapping, and you can play a round seeing what it's like to hit your 7-iron 200 yards, or whatever else you might want to do.

Launch monitors themselves - like a FlightScope or such - shouldn't do this much.

But simulators? They're just games.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, iacas said:

Lots of simulators have the ability to boost or whatever. It's just another way of handicapping, and you can play a round seeing what it's like to hit your 7-iron 200 yards, or whatever else you might want to do.

But simulators? They're just games.

This makes a lot of sense.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

The About Golf simulators use Flightscope 3 trak.  You can put a sticker on the head to get smash factor, AOA, face angle etc...too.  Also something I've noticed at Golfsmith in the About Golf simulator....they need to use the balls with the black or green " dashes" all over it so the spin gets read correctly.  If your at Golfsmith on one of these and u are hitting normal golf balls your numbers will be off as well.

Back to the GC2 question.  I don't know of any tweaking to get crazy numbers.  The unit I believe does get calibrated but is good to go out of the box.  We also have the HMT unit with ours to measure AOA, smash factor, face angle, where on the face the hit was etc...

Without the hmt, smash factor is calculated at I think 1.45.

IMAG3393.jpg

IMAG3394.jpg

IMAG3395.jpg

Those are the 3 screens in order to change a golfers distance on that SIM.

Have fun, when no one is looking boost the crap out of "player" and then leave!

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, Typhoon92 said:

The About Golf simulators use Flightscope 3 trak.

About Golf hasn't used FlightScope for years and years. They have their own launch monitor… named the 3Trak.

https://thesandtrap.com/b/throwing_darts/aboutgolf_and_the_3trak_launch_monitor

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

23 hours ago, iacas said:

About Golf hasn't used FlightScope for years and years. They have their own launch monitor… named the 3Trak.

https://thesandtrap.com/b/throwing_darts/aboutgolf_and_the_3trak_launch_monitor

Always  thought for some reason 3 trak was flightscope.  Guess I was wrong on that one!

Edited by Typhoon92

Today I shot my best round ever, a 77, without using my driver a single time. I can hit my 3 wood plenty far and shape it how I want off the tee, but being able to hit my driver as consistent definitely would help take off 20-30 yards off every approach shot. I know the only way to know for sure is to get fit but I've never actually gotten fit for a driver and currently have a stiff flex 60g shaft. I can hit every other club in my bag but I can't hit my driver to save my life. I know I have a pretty high swing speed and a fast tempo/transition, and my driver is the only stiff flex club I have. Could this have any effect on why I can't seem to hit it at all. Could an x flex with a heavier shaft really help give me some sort of consistency?

10 hours ago, Mattmccain15 said:

Today I shot my best round ever, a 77, without using my driver a single time. I can hit my 3 wood plenty far and shape it how I want off the tee, but being able to hit my driver as consistent definitely would help take off 20-30 yards off every approach shot. I know the only way to know for sure is to get fit but I've never actually gotten fit for a driver and currently have a stiff flex 60g shaft. I can hit every other club in my bag but I can't hit my driver to save my life. I know I have a pretty high swing speed and a fast tempo/transition, and my driver is the only stiff flex club I have. Could this have any effect on why I can't seem to hit it at all. Could an x flex with a heavier shaft really help give me some sort of consistency?

Wow, nice job on the 77!

What are your other clubs? Shafts, flex, head etc.

Do you have the same tempo with the other clubs, and it works for those?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

12 hours ago, Mattmccain15 said:

Yes, nice work on the 77.  I'd start with a heavier shaft, same flex and see how that works.  Seems weight is what makes inconsistency whereas flex will have u with a certain ballfight all the time like. Hook, low fade...

Need to find the center of the clubface first

12 hours ago, Mattmccain15 said:

Congratulations on your low round...that's awesome!

The situation with your driver is pretty common.  Many players struggle with consistency and often hit their 3 wood almost as far or farther than their driver.  The reason is usually because the driver has the longest shaft and the least amount of loft.  A 3 wood is about 2-2.5" shorter and has more loft (most are around 15*) so it's easier to hit solid because of the shorter length and the higher loft produces a better trajectory.  

I can say from years of analyzing player's launch data that almost everyone launches their driver too low.  It ranges anywhere between "just slightly lower than ideal" to "way too low", plus based on the information you provided, I can say with confidence that a higher lofted driver would help.  I also think a shorter shaft would help.  Realistically, if you can't hit it worth a flip now, and it's to the point that you're not even attempting to hit it (and scoring better as a result of leaving it in the bag) that simply going to a heavier weight shaft or a stiffer flex isn't going to make much of a difference.

Let me make a suggestion...get the specs checked on your 3 wood.  Have the length measured, have the flex of the shaft checked and find out how heavy it is.  Don't just look at what flex is printed on the shaft, especially if it's a stock factory type shaft...have a shop with a frequency analyzer check it.  Also, remember that shafts labeled something like 70-x or 80-x does not mean it's actually 70g or 80g...it could be 71g or it could be 78g, so don't just assume.

Knowing the length, flex, loft and shaft weight of your 3 wood is important because it's a club we know you hit really well, so it gives you a base to work from.  Now, before you disregard my next suggestion, hear me out.  If your current driver is like a 9.5* or 10.5* or something like that, seriously consider moving to at least a 12* head.  I know, I know...just go with me on this, and this is for everyone who is in the same situation...don't let ego get in the way.  You just played a round of golf and teed off with a 15* club, right?  And played awesome.  But a lot of guys have a problem with the concept of a 12* or 12.5* driver. 10 years ago if you had told me I would be playing a 12* driver I would have told you you're crazy, but guess what?  I'm playing a 12* driver and wished I had done it sooner.  If you're hitting your 3 wood almost the same distance as your driver, a shorter shaft and more loft will help.  I suggest making the driver 1" to no more than 1.5" longer than your 3 wood.  This should be around 44 - 44.5".  When you go with a shorter shaft, I like to move up in weight as well.  Then I would recommend matching the flex to your 3 wood, whatever that happens to be.

If you have any questions or concerns about this information, let me know and I'll be happy to respond.  

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

Note: This thread is 2625 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!