IGNORED

My Swing (p1n9183)

p1n9183
Note: This thread is 2615 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: An acummulate of 15 years in the 3 periods i played.
My current handicap index or average score is: arround 0.5 index, scoring average of 3.
My typical ball flight is: Pull Fade/Slice
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: the push slice.

Time to "Step out of the box" and change my full swing

Since i can remember from my teenage years i play a pull-fade with my irons, with an outside to inside club path. It´s been always the worst part of my game.
Last year after 8 years of inactivity I resume my game but i added this same swing to my driving too. So every full swing was a pull-fade, normal miss where a straigth pull or a pull-slice and my worst been a push-slice. 
Besides loosing distance with my driver it wasn´t as accurate than it was when i was younger and hit it just straigth. A few month ago i tryed to change it to a more inside to outside club path, and it worked. Gained 20 yards with a pretty high draw shape, still working with accuracy but happy with it.

My irons as all my life, where all over the place, short ones tended to miss left, mid irons a little rigth and long ones a lot to the rigth. So 2 days ago i decided to change it for the first time in my life. 
Worked at home with some aligments and film a few swings with my phone. 
1st of all my stance/hips/shoulders where ridiculusly aiming left of the target, not paralel to the target line. 
In 2nd place i confirm that i was swinging with an outside-to-inside club path.
3rd and most shocking, the club face on all of my irons where aiming rigth to the target.
So with that the only way i could hit a decent fade to the target it´s to close the face of the club in orther to be open to club path but close to the target.
I read that long irons starts more in relation where the club is aiming and not that much with the club path and less with the short ones. That will explain that i couldn´t hit my long irons.

Yesterday went to the range and make a few changes to hit all irons the same way as my driver.
1- Close my stance/hip/shoulders to be parallel to the target line.
2- aim the club face at the target
3- change my swing path to an inside-to-outside one.
4- try to favor missing to the rigth side to avoid hooking the ball.

I think this was the first time in my life i hit all the clubs in the bag with the same swing and with the same ball fligth. Pretty high baby draw, and with a pretty narrow dispersion. I know i have to work a lot with this new swing to make it consistent but i know too that in the long run it will make me a better player and lower my scores. Besides i love the feel of the impact of the draw ball and also it´s ball fligth and increse of distance.

Maybe tomorrow i will hit the range again and could make a video to post here.    

Videos: 

Comming Soon...

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...

Here are the videos from yesterday`s 9 holes practice round after shooting 68 (-4) on the morning. Both shoot`s with my new intended inside to outside swing.

4 Iron: 

Driver:

My carry distance it`s 250, played this week with the best amateurs in the country and they hit it around 270/280 carry. What do you suggest me to do to increase my distance??

Heigth: 178 cm, Weigth: 77 kg 

Thanks in advance !

1. Close your stance so you're more square to the target. That's probably what's prompting your "out to in" path. From that angle it appears as thought you're not actually coming over the top, but you are aimed left so that you have to swing out to in and slice it to keep it in the fairway.  

2. Backswing sway is bringing you off the ball and can cause a number of inconsistencies. When you start your downswing, your whole body has to come forward in order to hit the ball, that's very difficult to repeat with success in a pressure situation. You can do it with success, but it's much more reliable not to. 

3. Ball placement with your iron is too far forward. 

Summary: close stance, move ball back a few inches with irons, center your pivot with no sway, keep the lower body movement in your downswing(looks great!), but don't move your upper body forward. 

@p1n9183, I don't know enough to help, but I wish my swing looked like that! For you to be at a 0.5-1 HI and be willing to change up your swing pattern takes kahunas - I love the desire to improve

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

22 hours ago, senorchipotle said:

1. Close your stance so you're more square to the target. That's probably what's prompting your "out to in" path. From that angle it appears as thought you're not actually coming over the top, but you are aimed left so that you have to swing out to in and slice it to keep it in the fairway.  

2. Backswing sway is bringing you off the ball and can cause a number of inconsistencies. When you start your downswing, your whole body has to come forward in order to hit the ball, that's very difficult to repeat with success in a pressure situation. You can do it with success, but it's much more reliable not to. 

3. Ball placement with your iron is too far forward. 

Summary: close stance, move ball back a few inches with irons, center your pivot with no sway, keep the lower body movement in your downswing(looks great!), but don't move your upper body forward. 

1- In the video is the "new" swing with a square stance to the target, that´s why it appears im not coming over the top. I actually coming from the inside like i wanted.

2- You are rigth! my driving is the worst of my game. Short for my index and with a wider dispersion than normal. It´s not penal at my home course (short and wide course) but on competition courses I get a lot OB, water hazard and unplayable balls. Have to work on that, any suggestions ??

3- I think it´s not, in the video appear outside my left foot but because of the camera angle, in reality it is closer to the middle of my stance.

21 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

@p1n9183, I don't know enough to help, but I wish my swing looked like that! For you to be at a 0.5-1 HI and be willing to change up your swing pattern takes kahunas - I love the desire to improve

Thanks ! started playing at 7 years old, and with teachers from 12. That helped to develop a decent swing. 

I want to change it because i think I reach the limits of my current swing, And yes, i have the desire to improve and be a better player in the near future. 

2 hours ago, p1n9183 said:

in the video appear outside my left foot but because of the camera angle, in reality it is closer to the middle of my stance.

gotcha... well that changes pretty much everything except the sway. lol

Have to work on that, any suggestions ??

try to keep the weight in the backswing on the inside of the right foot. again, it may be the camera angle, but it looks like your feet are toed in a little bit, which could be a contributing factor. so fan them out a bit so that they're slightly open to your line.

and i think most importantly, make small 3/4 slow swings where you can feel yourself making the turn without moving your body backwards. when you take your backswing, feel like your head stays put and your butt/hip stick out toward the target. this will begin your lateral side bend sooner, so that all you've got to do now is shift your pressure to the lead foot and start your lower body movement, instead of the extra time you'd need to sway back on to the ball. 

i think you'll also feel like you're able to store up more power and energy in the backswing because you'll be able to better feel the weight of the club, and you can make your downswing pivot faster without having to worry about hanging back on your back leg and spinning out. 

Edited by senorchipotle
additional info added

Note: This thread is 2615 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!