IGNORED

Steel Shaft option

CSTACK
Note: This thread is 2608 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I have the Cobra UT in graphite shaft right now and I'm thinking of getting a steel shaft option, would it make more sense to go with a lighter shaft option similar to what cobra makes as standard with that club or should I match my current iron shafts? 

Callaway GBB 9º
Titleist 913F 15°
King Cobra Utility Iron 19.5º
Srixon z765 4-AW
Vokey sm5 56°, 60°
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.6

I would say you have some homework to do. Here's the KC Utility Iron site for other readers.

First, we don't know much about your game. Being a 13 HDCP, using a 9* driver and Z765 irons, I assume you have fairly good clubhead speed.

As for reshafting to match your irons, what shaft do your irons have? Stock shafts for the Z765 appear to be Modus Tour 120 and DG S300.

For the KC Utility, the stock steel options are KBS C-Taper Lite in X, S and R, and King F6 FST in S and R. (F6 is probably proprietary). Which do you have now?

A new KC Utility would offer you graphite for an upcharge of $20 to $120. And, you get the following shaft model options: XS = 18 / S = 21 / R = 8 / and SR= 2.

Really can't help you much with the sketchy information you gave us. So, what are you trying to accomplish? Having trouble hitting the U? Hitting the U but going too low, high, left or right? Or, are you trying to go from good to perfect (risky...)? 

Best suggestion: talk to a fitter and try out different shafts in  your U. It's adjustable so you could swap out shafts with a wrench.

• Upvote 1

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Currently have the modus Tour 120 in my irons, my club head speed is 108-112 with the driver, in my UT I have the aldila rogue black 85g. I hit the UT great but I travel a lot for work and play different courses in different states with a lot of different winds and want to be able to play it more like a true 3 iron at times, I guess my question is would a light steel shaft make it go too high or would using a modus tour 120 make it hard to get in the air at all?

Callaway GBB 9º
Titleist 913F 15°
King Cobra Utility Iron 19.5º
Srixon z765 4-AW
Vokey sm5 56°, 60°
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.6

if you're worried about wind, NSPro says the Modus from your irons might help out your Utility:

High tip rigidity strengthens trajectory. The high-rigidity design of the tip steadies impact to help minimize unwanted spin and realize a stronger trajectory. 

(from Modus Tour link, with good diagrams!)

Aldila has promise also. The Rouge Black 85 gr. is a low spin, mid launch shaft with 2.8 torque in Stiff, 2.4 (low) in XS. The low spin will help it fight the wind.

The best test: on a windy day, play 9 from the middle tees and hit the Utility every chance you get. Does the ball blow around with the Rouge Black? If so, can you make a stance adjustment to keep it down a bit?

Another thing to consider: if the wind is high, would it help to take the loft from 20* down to 18*? This assumes you can still get the ball up.

Just take an afternoon, try this, try that, and make notes on what happened. Let us know what you decide, you've got me wondering! ;-)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

18 hours ago, WUTiger said:

I would say you have some homework to do. Here's the KC Utility Iron site for other readers.

First, we don't know much about your game. Being a 13 HDCP, using a 9* driver and Z765 irons, I assume you have fairly good clubhead speed.

As for reshafting to match your irons, what shaft do your irons have? Stock shafts for the Z765 appear to be Modus Tour 120 and DG S300.

For the KC Utility, the stock steel options are KBS C-Taper Lite in X, S and R, and King F6 FST in S and R. (F6 is probably proprietary). Which do you have now?

A new KC Utility would offer you graphite for an upcharge of $20 to $120. And, you get the following shaft model options: XS = 18 / S = 21 / R = 8 / and SR= 2.

Really can't help you much with the sketchy information you gave us. So, what are you trying to accomplish? Having trouble hitting the U? Hitting the U but going too low, high, left or right? Or, are you trying to go from good to perfect (risky...)? 

Best suggestion: talk to a fitter and try out different shafts in  your U. It's adjustable so you could swap out shafts with a wrench.

I wonder if responses like this are  part of why this site has the least traffic of all the boards I watch, golf or other interests included? This place is like a ghost town in comparison. What is troubling you so? You sound like quite the charm.  

12 hours ago, Lagavulin62 said:

What is troubling you so? You sound like quite the charm.  

@CSTACK asked me a question, and I asked for some details on what he wanted to do. He responded, and I suggested options.

I hope your postings on other interests are of higher quality than your TST remarks.

• Upvote 5

On 2/11/2017 at 4:08 AM, Lagavulin62 said:

I wonder if responses like this are  part of why this site has the least traffic of all the boards I watch, golf or other interests included? This place is like a ghost town in comparison. What is troubling you so? You sound like quite the charm.  

??????? The guy made an attempt to answer your question in a decent adult manner

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/12/2017 at 6:10 PM, Lagavulin62 said:

I'm not the OP, wasn't my question. 

No, but you also didn't add anything to this thread with this comment. 

On 2/11/2017 at 7:08 AM, Lagavulin62 said:

There was nothing wrong with what @WUTiger posted. All he did was ask for more specific information. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

One thing to keep in mind is the Modus3 120 is not available in a .370 tip version.  This doesn't mean it's not an option, just be aware it would have to be shimmed if you decide on that model.

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

Note: This thread is 2608 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!