IGNORED

The price of golf clubs after leaving my parents wallet?

st3vie
Note: This thread is 2617 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi all,

I'm not entirely sure if this post is supposed to go in here but it's here now. 

At the current moment i am jumping between a 5-7 handicap. My last irons fitting session was in 2013 (age 14, 5 ft 4) but have recently started growing out of my old Mizuno's (MP54 (5i-pw), KBS tour 120 Stiff, Golf pride multi compound). I have had a fitting session with my coach and have been prescribed 716 ap2's with standard lie + loft, with the same KBS shaft. However, after looking at the price of these clubs online and through my club I have realized that they are quite expensive ($1500+). 

I have recently moved from high school to university, and have a part time job. However doing electrical/computer engineering (honors) has limited my hours of work from 20+/week to 10-12/week. This now restricts me to what I can afford in the marketplace. 

Now I have had a look at some ap2's through second-hand shops and eBay, gumtree etc.Even though most of them are standard lie+loft, most come with the generic dynamic gold s3000 shafts that Titleist use. So is it possible that going through to some older models (710/712/714 is on the brink) is the better choice, and if so where would be the best place to find a set of clubs playable for my level and how much would the shaft change affect my game?

Thanks

Harry

P.S, budget would prefer to be capped at $700-800 aud, $900 for a good deal.

13 hours ago, st3vie said:

I'm not entirely sure if this post is supposed to go in here but it's here now. 

At the current moment i am jumping between a 5-7 handicap. My last irons fitting session was in 2013 (age 14, 5 ft 4) but have recently started growing out of my old Mizuno's (MP54 (5i-pw), KBS tour 120 Stiff, Golf pride multi compound). I have had a fitting session with my coach and have been prescribed 716 ap2's with standard lie + loft, with the same KBS shaft.

...how much would the shaft change affect my game?

Yes, you probably should have posted this in the clubs section, but I'm sure one of the mods will move it if they see it.

Curious what you mean when you say you're growing out of your old irons.  Do you mean you're taller, and the shafts are too short?  My perspective is the MP 54 and AP2 are in the same category, so the AP2 is not necessarily a better club (although some could make arguments one way or the other).  If it's the length of the shaft that is now the issue, you could save some money and just have the MP 54 re-shafted.

As far as the shaft, it can be a big deal.  Personally, I prefer the S300.  I tried the KBS Tour Stiff and didn't like them.  It could just be that I'm used to S300 after all these years, although my club fitter stated it probably matches my swing better (he said golfers with a "smoother" swing (I assume he was referring to tempo) typically prefer S300... his words, not mine).  As you're used to the KBS, you may or may not like the S300... only one way to find that out.  So be careful buying online, unless you know if you're going to like it or not.  Maybe find a local shop and demo the KBS vs S300

• Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• RandallT changed the title to The price of golf clubs after leaving my parents wallet?

So basically at the current exchange rate for ap2 we're talking $1150 ish USD so your looking at less than $600 USD. Ok for 716 AP2 that will be damn near impossible, but doable I suppose... For 714 AP2 however since you have standard length and lie, actually won't be that hard.

Did you attempt to see if your Mizunos had any trade in value? @st3vie if you have a PGA trade in website in Australia, you could see how much value you can get out of the Mizunos to help offset the cost a bit.

There are also US based retailers that will ship to Brisbane the duties and taxes will kill your budget though. However, on your budget I would stick to domestic. I'll do some poking around on eBay for you and see what I can find.

Welcome to the site @st3vie.

• Upvote 1

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Here in USA, the KBS Tour S-flex shafts go for about $27 each new. If you get AP2 714 model, a 4-PW (?) reshaft would require $189 + tax to get shafts. Add $15 per club for shaft swap, and $10 per for new grips, and it's about $365 + tax.

The KBS Tour stiff would be a few grams lighter and slightly stiffer than the S300 which often come as stock for the AP2.

On 2/22/2017 at 10:48 PM, onthehunt526 said:

There are also US based retailers that will ship to Brisbane the duties and taxes will kill your budget though. However, on your budget I would stick to domestic. I'll do some poking around on eBay for you and see what I can find.

OTH is on target, consider this too.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

You should lift too.

2013-2015 good used clubs better than any new clubs. For 500:

Tour preferred 2014. 3-p for 220

Tm aeroburner driver for 80

hybrids aeroburner or Adams red, blue, or tight lie. 25-30

Ping g25 3 wood or fly's for 50-60

2 sm5 titliests for 100 total

Putter all the same for 20 bucks.

500= win

Note: This thread is 2617 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!