IGNORED

My Swing (woodzie264)

woodzie264

1 hour ago, woodzie264 said:

Is this more what I should look like at the top? Or is this too laid off? 

I almost think that’s the opposite of what I was working on with taking the club back and up....but Erik did say (many moons ago) that I’d need to start taking it “in” at some some point (back, up, & in) so maybe that’s what he was referring to?

FWIW, my instructor has me shaft steep at A3 and shallow at A5. My hand position at A4 is similar to yours, I’m just flattening on the way down. We got that figured out a few months ago. But others do what you show here and are fine.

What he has me working on now, with that steep to shallow feel, is keeping my spine angle through to contact so my “butt stays on the wall” so to speak. When we straighten up too early, early extension, the shaft can shallow from A5 to impact. I was getting fat shots or pulls. I was also coming in too far inside, so hooks. 

In your DTL view, you look really good up to A5 or so, then start to straighten up or extend. Watch the fence behind your behind. Your butt pulls away from its start point. A little EE is ok he says because it generates some power. But reducing it or delaying it to later on in the swing will help. 

He has me do the backswing and downswing slow all the way to A7 or even A8 exaggerating keeping the spine angle the same.

If you watch my rehearsal, that is what I am doing, trying to keep the spine angle the same. I still extend a little, but I get more rotation. I also feel like I’m driving the swing with my right elbow like throwing something side arm. It keeps my spine angle in a better position for a longer time. I am doing the rehearsal too fast here. It’s easy to speed up.

• Upvote 1
  • Informative 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@boogielicious, thanks man. That’s helpful. I feel like I don’t know what to do next from the top position since all of my PPs have been in the backswing from A1-A4 (since we literally had to start from scratch at my grip), so that gives me some direction. I appreciate that.  

I’m not saying I’m ready to graduate to next PP yet, but it gives me direction 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Just now, woodzie264 said:

@boogielicious, thanks man. That’s helpful. I feel like I don’t know what to do next from the top position since all of my PP have been in the backswing from A1-A4 (since we literally had to start from scratch at my grip), so that gives me some direction. I appreciate that.  

Be patient. It takes time. Sometimes when we fix one thing, something else gets off a bit. I can tell now when I early extend by just how the ball strike feels and ball curves. I just haven’t completely changed the picture yet.

Scott

My Swing Thread

@boogielicious the old school knee action in your shallowing rehearsal from A4 to A5 is awesome! I think it does wonders for the turn rates

Jon, the wall drill is great. It will help shallow out the club down to A5. When done right I have noticed a feel that my right thigh/pocket moves into impact with right forearm in sync.

• Thumbs Up 2

Vishal S.

27 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Be patient. It takes time. Sometimes when we fix one thing, something else gets off a bit.

I get it. It’s honestly not so much impatience as it is with confusion as to where I need to be at the end of a movement. So that’s helpful.

11 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

Jon, the wall drill is great. It will help shallow out the club down to A5. When done right I have noticed a feel that my right thigh/pocket moves into impact with right forearm in sync.

Indeed. I think the first 13 pages of MySwing thread is nothing but the wall drill 😜

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

6 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

@boogielicious the old school knee action in your shallowing rehearsal from A4 to A5 is awesome! I think it does wonders for the turn rates

Thanks. It’s because I have old knees!😜

Scott

My Swing Thread

41 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Thanks. It’s because I have old knees!😜

.😄

1 minute ago, GolfLug said:

Lol.. but ya know that's not how I mean..😄.

Don't remember how I came across it but I watched a Gene Littler swing yesterday and the difference in the knee action and ankle roll was so pronounced compared to today's top players. It seemed so easy and fluid. Almost fluffy.

Sorry, I fat fingered this post.. lol

Edited by GolfLug

Vishal S.

• 2 weeks later...

2/04/21 - today sucked. Lots of thinned pulls. Not coming up enough on BS, so coming over the top more? I don’t know. Not fun today

-Jonny

2 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

2/04/21 - today sucked. Lots of thinned pulls. Not coming up enough on BS, so coming over the top more? I don’t know. Not fun today

Your right elbow looks like it gets trapped on your side from A5 on. Your rehearsal looks better. On the face on, at A5, the right elbow should be lower than or level with the left arm and maybe more in front too. I rehearse that feel a lot, the right elbow driving the arms. @billchao uses that feel too sometimes. Try rehearsing that feel slowly.

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

@woodzie264 can you try something? You can do this inside in front of a mirror without a club. 

Get into a golf address position with your hands together like you’re holding a club. Now stand straight up and lift your arms at the shoulders until your hands shoulder level in front of you. Turn your shoulders 90° as in a backswing while staying upright. Now bend into a golf posture.

I’m completely ignoring the wrist action but that’s the gist of the backswing, broken down into separate components. You still don’t seem to be lifting your arms off your torso so I’m thinking maybe if you felt what the end result should be, you can find your own feels to achieve it.

• Thumbs Up 2

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

On 2/4/2021 at 9:26 PM, billchao said:

@woodzie264 can you try something? You can do this inside in front of a mirror without a club. 

Get into a golf address position with your hands together like you’re holding a club. Now stand straight up and lift your arms at the shoulders until your hands shoulder level in front of you. Turn your shoulders 90° as in a backswing while staying upright. Now bend into a golf posture.

I’m completely ignoring the wrist action but that’s the gist of the backswing, broken down into separate components. You still don’t seem to be lifting your arms off your torso so I’m thinking maybe if you felt what the end result should be, you can find your own feels to achieve it.

Is this more what you meant? There is definitely a difference with my right arm staying straighter longer:

• Thumbs Up 1

-Jonny

21 minutes ago, woodzie264 said:

Is this more what you meant? There is definitely a difference with my right arm staying straighter longer:

Did you actually do the steps and you’re just showing me some backswings? These look better, yes.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

8 minutes ago, billchao said:

Did you actually do the steps and you’re just showing me some backswings? These look better, yes.

I did. But, the fact you can’t tell, means I’m still not doing it right 😝

-Jonny

• Administrator

I think Bill wanted to see a video of you doing the steps.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

13 minutes ago, iacas said:

I think Bill wanted to see a video of you doing the steps.

That’s easy enough; I thought that was just to put me in the position so I could see where I needed to be. Got it

-Jonny

On 2/8/2021 at 6:11 PM, billchao said:

• Thumbs Up 1

-Jonny

36 minutes ago, woodzie264 said:

That must be a long putt!

• Funny 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

2 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

Interesting how your first move when you side bend is to lower your upper right arm and bend your elbow. You basically ended up in the same position as you always have.

Bill

My Swing Thread