IGNORED

My Swing (woodzie264)

woodzie264

5 minutes ago, billchao said:

Interesting how your first move when you side bend is to lower your upper right arm and bend your elbow. You basically ended up in the same position as you always have.

Interesting - I see that now. Old habits are hard to break. Gimme some time

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, woodzie264 said:

Interesting - I see that now. Old habits are hard to break. Gimme some time

Sure thing. I’m a patient man.

It’s your swing after all 😉

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

On 2/10/2021 at 5:48 PM, billchao said:

Interesting how your first move when you side bend is to lower your upper right arm and bend your elbow. You basically ended up in the same position as you always have.

I’ll be honest, I’m not sure why, but I don’t think I can physically hold that right elbow straighter when tilting back forward into golf stance as my right shoulder doesn’t seem to tolerate the resultant External rotation:

am I just making excuses here? 

...but I do think this has been a really helpful check as I think I’m getting a straighter right elbow away from my side sooner:

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

3 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

I’ll be honest, I’m not sure why, but I don’t think I can physically hold that right elbow straighter when tilting back forward into golf stance as my right shoulder doesn’t seem to tolerate the resultant External rotation

You're not trying to get perfectly straight arms at A4. The idea is to try to get you to get that trail arm off of your chest and have your shoulders do more in the backswing so your arms can do less.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
11 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

am I just making excuses here? 

Yes. 🙂 There's nothing physiologically that makes your right elbow bend when you side bend to the left.

8 hours ago, billchao said:

You're not trying to get perfectly straight arms at A4. The idea is to try to get you to get that trail arm off of your chest and have your shoulders do more in the backswing so your arms can do less.

Also, that.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2/15/21 - straighter right elbow on the range 

• Thumbs Up 1

-Jonny

• Administrator

Good.

When you have this better, let me know specifically. I know what you'll have next.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

6 minutes ago, iacas said:

Good.

When you have this better, let me know specifically. I know what you'll have next.

Thanks - I’ll definitely need more time to solidify, but I’m glad you think I’m close to moving on. At least you feel like my right elbow sucks less than some other part now 🤔 

-Jonny

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, woodzie264 said:

Thanks - I’ll definitely need more time to solidify, but I’m glad you think I’m close to moving on. At least you feel like my right elbow sucks less than some other part now 🤔 

I didn't say you were close, just that you're doing it pretty well in those videos.

There's a difference. 😄 

• Funny 1

@iacas, is it a really bad thing that my driver swing is so different from my iron swing? I believe that they ideally should be fairly similar, but with the Driver AoA being positive. I don’t expect you to have really paid any attention to my driver swing when we played at RNK, but it’s much more laid off/flatter. I’ve just done that over the years to reinforce the inside-outside swing and my fairway % is somewhere around mid-upper 70’s with my average drivers going 240-250y (+\- 10-20yds on better/poor shots). I suspect I’m losing distance with it, but have been reluctant to change since it doesn’t get me in trouble much and GIR is King. Do I need to start making the same swing with my driver that I’m using for my irons?

I just realized this video cuts out the clubface, so that it’s not very useful, but you get the essence of how flat I am with it.

-Jonny

• Administrator

It ideally shouldn't be that (as in specific to the video in the post above) different. That's quite different.

5 minutes ago, iacas said:

It ideally shouldn't be that (as in specific to the video in the post above) different. That's quite different.

TBH, I was actually nervous that you guys were rag on me about it when we played because they are so different :-). I mean, I knew my putting would prob steal all the attention, but it was a concern.  I’ll start practicing with my driver some instead of 7-8i’s all the time and see how it goes. 

-Jonny

• Administrator
30 minutes ago, woodzie264 said:

TBH, I was actually nervous that you guys were rag on me about it when we played because they are so different :-). I mean, I knew my putting would prob steal all the attention, but it was a concern.  I’ll start practicing with my driver some instead of 7-8i’s all the time and see how it goes. 

You worried WAY the heck too much about that round, my man.

I was mostly just trying to stay dry and have a decent time, and see what specific variety of crack Strantz was on at that course as compared to his others.

40 minutes ago, iacas said:

You worried WAY the heck too much about that round, my man.

Well, no one I play with cares about scoring. Most are at least a 6-pack deep by the 18th and I’m usually a one bourbon/9 holes myself...having never played in anything other than an occasional Scramble, I’ve never played a competitive round in my life...thus all of my nerves. But next time out, I’ll be much more relaxed. 

-Jonny

Just a repost of my 5-min practice, but wanted to post here for logging purposes.

Day 47 - despite playing relatively well a couple of weeks ago for my first time out this year, on the range that day Prior to the round, I was “drawing” everything 20yds left. I felt like I had an abnormally strong grip, and so I weakened it for the round and, again, played relatively well. 
 But I’m struggling with my grip still. Nothing seems comfortable. So I worked on it today going back to the basics. 

-Jonny

• 1 month later...

Been a while since posting swing. I was prepping for a competitive round with a buddy so I didn’t want swing thoughts in my head. Looking at swing today, I’ve digressed a little.

• Thumbs Up 1

-Jonny

• Administrator

I'm confused as to the follow-through. It's like the arms just stop moving relative to the chest around impact, and the only thing carrying them through is the chest turning.

24 minutes ago, iacas said:

I'm confused as to the follow-through. It's like the arms just stop moving relative to the chest around impact, and the only thing carrying them through is the chest turning.

We’ve never discussed it before and so it’s “raw”...untouched by any instruction. I suppose I developed it over the years because prior to my left shoulder replacement in 2018(?), I had little to no motion in it...with ER being the most limited.  I can always try something new. 

-Jonny