IGNORED

My Swing (woodzie264)

woodzie264

15 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

Admittedly, grip is still a little palmy, but better than before. It’s a work in progress

Try doing the mapping rehearsal even slower. Go to A2 slow 2 or 3 times a bit slower than you did there. Then go to A2, pause, then up to A4 and repeat. Reinforce the feeling of the positions. Then do a few slow transitions to A6, then A6 to impact without hitting. If you have a mirror, this really helps as well.

Finally, do the whole swing at at 50% or partial swings to reinforce the feels.

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4/05/20 - full swing 

I’ll get to work with the slower work as recommended above

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

(edited)
On 4/6/2020 at 7:50 AM, boogielicious said:

Try doing the mapping rehearsal even slower. Go to A2 slow 2 or 3 times a bit slower than you did there. Then go to A2, pause, then up to A4 and repeat. Reinforce the feeling of the positions. Then do a few slow transitions to A6, then A6 to impact without hitting. If you have a mirror, this really helps as well.

Finally, do the whole swing at at 50% or partial swings to reinforce the feels.

I will need A LOT of help here. Aside from @iacas having me work on a centered turn and steady head (5SK stuff), I’ve had no formal instruction on parts of my swing and how to get there. This latest movement, working on my take away, is the only real feedback I’ve gotten on the swing motion itself as it pertains to what the arms do. So, I will have a lot of flaws I’m sure on each of my A2, A4, A6 positions and the transitions therein. On these swings in the video, I’m a bit laid off with respect to my right elbow, but I’ve honestly been a little bit better job lately than what these swings show. Nevertheless, that’s how I swung the club today. 
I am not the coach, only the ignorant student attempting to be a stupid monkey, but I think I’ll need some feedback on how to get from A2 (which I think I get) to A4

Just more swings to establish all my flawed tendencies 🙄...

Edited by woodzie264

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

• Administrator

The first video looks pretty good.

Much better than even about a week ago.

Feel free to let the right elbow fold/bend a little sooner.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

Thanks - I was watching one of @billchao practice videos and was intrigued at the transition from top to start the downswing. I feel lost on how to get from A2 to the top and how to transition down to A6, but I realize you will progress me as I demonstrate “readiness.” 

-Jonny

1 hour ago, iacas said:

I look like I’m bending beyond 90* though

-Jonny

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, woodzie264 said:

I look like I’m bending beyond 90* though

You are. But man, you've come a long way in a short span. You can't obsess over everything right away.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

I was watching one of @billchao practice videos and was intrigued at the transition from top to start the downswing.

Stay in your lane! 😜

You've made good progress in a short amount of time, but don't get sidetracked. It still takes time for changes to "bake in," so to speak.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

2 minutes ago, billchao said:

Stay in your lane! 😜

You've made good progress in a short amount of time, but don't get sidetracked. It still takes time for changes to "bake in," so to speak.

Indeed - but I am honestly very grateful for your video posts. I really struggled with coming over-the-top, but watching one of your practice sessions where you transitioning from the top was really helpful. I can certainly see how much I don’t know by observing others. Often we don’t know what we don’t know....thus I’m trying to get my wisdom through the first two ways mentioned in your signature 😉

-Jonny

6 minutes ago, woodzie264 said:

Indeed - but I am honestly very grateful for your video posts. I really struggled with coming over-the-top, but watching one of your practice sessions where you transitioning from the top was really helpful.

I'm glad you found my videos helpful. As you can see from the thread, my swing is a very long work in progress. I've often made the mistake in the past of trying to take on too much at once, moving onto new pieces before the previous changes have set, or even just working on something that wasn't in the right direction at all.

Some moves I've learned are easier to change once you change something else, or the flaw goes away entirely while working on something else. The worst part is finding you're regressing on a previous piece when you start focusing on another one because you're trying to move on too quickly. That's really all I mean when I say don't get sidetracked.

16 minutes ago, woodzie264 said:

I can certainly see how much I don’t know by observing others. Often we don’t know what we don’t know....thus I’m trying to get my wisdom through the first two ways mentioned in your signature 😉

I'm really good at learning the third way.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

11 minutes ago, billchao said:

The worst part is finding you're regressing on a previous piece when you start focusing on another one because you're trying to move on too quickly. That's really all I mean when I say don't get sidetracked.

I knew what you meant...and I understand. I need to get some things ingrained before moving forward.

-Jonny

4/08/20 - hands in & up. Right elbow bend otw up

I realize I haven’t done a FOV in a bit, so...

-Jonny

so I went to get fit for newer clubs (mine are 15 yrs old) and the guy asked about why I had oversized grips. When I started playing, I liked the thicker grips, but he said that may be contributing to the "palminess" of my grip and my ability to move the club as I should. I don't plan on buying them just yet, but maybe that will help me some when that transition happens. 

@boogielicious, @billchao, I have a question though: I traditionally liked to grip down on the club leaving about 1-1.5" from the butt of the grip. I know other people do this as well, but if this is in some way hindering my swing motion, speed and/or power, I am amendable to changing. Now that I am trying to have my hands away from my thighs at address, I have found myself subconsciously moving my hands closer to the butt already, but wanted you guys with high golf IQ to weigh in.

-Jonny

1 hour ago, woodzie264 said:

so I went to get fit for newer clubs (mine are 15 yrs old) and the guy asked about why I had oversized grips. When I started playing, I liked the thicker grips, but he said that may be contributing to the "palminess" of my grip and my ability to move the club as I should. I don't plan on buying them just yet, but maybe that will help me some when that transition happens. 

@boogielicious, @billchao, I have a question though: I traditionally liked to grip down on the club leaving about 1-1.5" from the butt of the grip. I know other people do this as well, but if this is in some way hindering my swing motion, speed and/or power, I am amendable to changing. Now that I am trying to have my hands away from my thighs at address, I have found myself subconsciously moving my hands closer to the butt already, but wanted you guys with high golf IQ to weigh in.

It depends on the shot for me. I do a lot of 3/4, 1/2 shots with 7 iron up to lob wedge. On those, I grip down about an inch.

One quick way to check where your arms should be is to set up, then let the right arm fall off the grip and hang. If is hanging about where it was on the grip away from your body, then the club is in the correct place. If your right hand is closer or further away, move the club accordingly. 

Lastly, grip size is really about your hands. I have long thin fingers. Standard grips feel like gripping a pencil. I was fit for standard +3 wraps, which was okay. But last year I went to midsize with the GolfPride MCC+4. I also have a bit of arthritis in my knuckles. After switching, I don’t have any pain anymore. I have no problem with gripping in the fingers either. Just keep practicing gripping as Erik showed us in the COVID videos. Make it part of your routine.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

31 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

One quick way to check where your arms should be is to set up, then let the right arm fall off the grip and hang. If is hanging about where it was on the grip away from your body, then the club is in the correct place. If your right hand is closer or further away, move the club accordingly. 

Lastly, grip size is really about your hands. I have long thin fingers. Standard grips feel like gripping a pencil. I was fit for standard +3 wraps, which was okay. But last year I went to midsize with the GolfPride MCC+4. I also have a bit of arthritis in my knuckles. After switching, I don’t have any pain anymore. I have no problem with gripping in the fingers either. Just keep practicing gripping as Erik showed us in the COVID videos. Make it part of your routine.

Thanks - that was helpful, and yes, I’ve been gripping in the air (as opposed to club down at address) before each swing 

• Thumbs Up 1

-Jonny

4 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

When I started playing, I liked the thicker grips, but he said that may be contributing to the "palminess" of my grip and my ability to move the club as I should.

If the grip is too thick the club won't feel secure in your fingers so I can see how that can be a factor.

4 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

I traditionally liked to grip down on the club leaving about 1-1.5" from the butt of the grip.

Wait, you have oversized grips but you grip down to where the grip is thinner? Why not just play standard grips and grip the club at the end?

The only time I choke that far down with a full swing motion is when I'm hitting a knockdown or if I'm hitting out of trouble and trying to hit a big sweeping draw and I need a little more control over the club.

3 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Lastly, grip size is really about your hands. I have long thin fingers.

Yea, it's mostly about comfort. I have meaty hands with short fingers, so I play standard grips. I'd probably be more comfortable playing an undersize grip than I would a midsize grip. But if you get too far out of the "proper" range for you, it's probably going to affect how you hold the club.

Bill

My Swing Thread

6 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Just keep practicing gripping as Erik showed us in the COVID videos. Make it part of your routine.

The good news is that this:

Will give me the opportunity to practice this anywhere!

CCE84A31-3FB3-4A27-A480-443481C77F8F.thumb.jpeg.3afde716f5d9bcf481984bdada339db2.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

-Jonny

(edited)

4/10/20 - club head back, hands in, elbow up w/less than 90*

I’m not sure what my top position needs to look like, but I’m making my turn and bring the right elbow up. Not sure if I should be steeper or not

I feel like my half swings are laid off,  But then my full swing looks better. 🤔

Edited by woodzie264

-Jonny