IGNORED

Scotty Cameron - Why so popular?

kregan
Note: This thread is 5967 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

putters are jewelry, a guy made it through Q-School putting with his driver.

If you think it works better, then it is worth every cent.

In my Nexos
HiBore XLS Draw Driver
X-hybrid 4,5
Fusion Wide Sole 6-AW
Black Pearl CG10 54/14, CG12 DSG 64 Vokey SM Oil Can 60/8 Spider Pro V1x HX Hot Bite

STAND BACK before this thing EXPLODES!!!

He's real good at copying other people's designs and overcharging for them!!!

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

ks8829,

All the studio stainless putters were made of German Stainless Steel. The expensive ones on ebay are essentially the smae but have a slightly different head and are custom limited edition putters, which is what makes the mso expensive.

Monster Tour 10.5* w/ Redboard 63
FP400f 14.5* w/ GD YSQ
Idea Pro 18* w/ VS Proto 80s
MP FLi-Hi 21 w/ S300
CG1 BP w/ PX 6.0 SM 54.11 SM 60.08 Sophia 33"

All the studio stainless putters were made of German Stainless Steel. The expensive ones on ebay are essentially the smae but have a slightly different head and are custom limited edition putters, which is what makes the mso expensive.

Crafty,

They're actually not. The Studio Stainless are made from standard 303 stainless over the counter steel. Scotty saves the special stuff for the special guys. You might want to read through the thread again, as there are significant differences between the Tour and retail putters that go way beyond numbers and stamping. Of course the Cameron marketing machine would rather you believe otherwise. Anyhow, here it is straight from Scotty: http://www.scottycameron.com/product...ails.asp?id=10
STUDIO STAINLESS® NEWPORT INSPIRATION: The Newport model draws its inspiration from the Classic 1, one of the first putters produced by Cameron Golf International in late ‘92, and made famous in the ‘93 Master’s win. The Studio Stainless Newport is a breed apart. The entire stainless series is milled from 303 stainless steel, which has a winning reputation on Tour with soft and responsive feedback giving the putters solid, controlled feel. The Newport has been refined in the Studio making it slightly wider from front to back with a thinner topline and more radiused weight bumps leading down the back flange. This gives the putter a softer, less mechanical look and still retains the 1/4 toe hang for optimal toe flow. The finish, a soft beaded mist, eliminates glare and the single sight-line makes for perfect alignment. Scotty’s love of 1950’s industrial design inspired the graphics and red color scheme on the headcover and shaft band.

Studio Style on the other hand has a body made from 303 stainless and a thin GSS milled insert suspended in elastomer.

http://www.scottycameron.com/product...ils.asp?id=286
STUDIO STYLE NEWPORT INSPIRATION: The entire Studio Style line of putters is known for its optimal blend of high-performance and classic design. The Studio Style Newport model is no exception. The putter head is precision milled from 303 stainless steel with a German Stainless Steel (GSS) inlay that is adhered with screws and a hi-tech polymer. This milled GSS insert combined with the Studio Stainless Steel (SSS) putter head gives the Studio Style Newport perfect feedback, which is a combination of superior sound and feel.

putters are jewelry, a guy made it through Q-School putting with his driver.

for me its all about the look and feel of the putter. the look has to not only fit my eye, but it has inspire confidence (a SC futura putter for example, doesnt in my opinion). as i prefer a more traditional/minimalist look to my clubs (obvious based on the clubs i use in my signature...), many of the classic SC and ping putters are usually to my liking. beyond the look, the feel is the ultimate piece that has to be there. the key there is that the feel is always going to be a personal deal. while i like the looks of the new ping putter's (started playing years ago with anser's), and their attempt at making a higher end line, the feel and sound they produce isnt as much to my liking as the SC circa 62 putters. while the SC brand and the extensive marketing they have done obviously comes into play on some level, i ultimately agree with the bolded part of the above quote... if you can consistently make putts with it, then its worth every cent... even if its just all in your head

907D2 9.5°, Fujikura Speeder
906F4, 15.5°, Fujikura Speeder
585H, 19°, Fujikura Speeder
735 CM 3-PW, Dynamic Gold
Vokey 52° & 58°35" Circa 62 #3Freestyle BagLow tournament score: 70 (back in my high school days)

I like scotty's because not only the look, and the fact no one else puts that much effort into their putters, but because of the weight. I can't putt with something that doesn't have weight b/c it makes the pendulum harder to complete for me. Weight is the key to my putting stroke.
What's In The Bag?

Driver - Rapture 10.5 Epic 68g X-Pure - Balance Certified
Fairway Metal - Titleist PT 18°
Irons - Mizuno MP-67 3-PW Project X 6.0 Wedges - Mizunos R Series Chrome 52°, 56°, 58° Project X 6.0 Putter - Yes! C-Groove Callie-f - Balance Certified Bag - Ping Freestyle...

just wondering, what makes german stainless steel so great? Does it have a better feel?

elchene,

The purists say it does - but the fact remains it is still stainless steel. How soft can it be? Whether it is 303, German, or Double Aged like Bettinardi uses I've tried them all and can't feel any difference. Construction, mass behind the ball, and even things like shaft and grip make significantly more difference to me than the steel used. If you truly want a soft putter, carbon steel is the only way to go.

I went to the local golf retailer to buy my first set of clubs today (been playing for a year with my brother's clubs - yes he's pissed with me for keeping them so long), and being completely clueless about what to get I picked a Scotty Cameron just based on feel in the store. The attendant came over after I'd picked it out and filled me in on my selection, and told me the price!, but I still got it - felt good. I did ask him to get a cheaper putter with similar features/shape but I could tell the difference - I felt like I was having to compensate with the cheaper putter whereas the SC was, I don't know, like it was 'helping' in some way.

I went to the local golf retailer to buy my first set of clubs today (been playing for a year with my brother's clubs - yes he's pissed with me for keeping them so long), and being completely clueless about what to get I picked a Scotty Cameron just based on feel in the store. The attendant came over after I'd picked it out and filled me in on my selection, and told me the price!, but I still got it - felt good. I did ask him to get a cheaper putter with similar features/shape but I could tell the difference - I felt like I was having to compensate with the cheaper putter whereas the SC was, I don't know, like it was 'helping' in some way.

Congrats on the new purchase, you will not be disappointed. When I bought my first Scotty I tried out quite a few different brands (Ping, Odyssey, Taylor Made, etc.) and I found that the Scotty felt much better and I haven't regretted my purchase once.

909D-Comp
909F-2
585H Hybrids
755 Irons
Vokey Wedges 2-Ball F7 B330S

I think my ping zing putter is better than those high priced scotty cameron's. I paid $75 for it last year and i love it. Took 2 strokes off my game. Great feel on short and long putts. I think with the Scotty you are mainly paying for the name. So if you have the money for that go for it. I go for performance and deals mainly on ebay.
whats in my bag
Driver: Superquad 8.5 LOVE THIS CLUB
woods: R7 TP 3 wood
Hybrids: Burner 3
Irons: XD BurnersWedges:Vokey Spin Milled 56Putter: G5 ZINGBall:TP Black

Note: This thread is 5967 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!