IGNORED

Pay to play... how much?

Big_M
Note: This thread is 5901 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. how much do you pay to play 18?

• always under $20
    • $20 or less most of the time w/ occaional higher priced round
    • $20 - $40 usually
    • $40 and up
    • I buy a yearly membership
    • I mostly play a league

I go the membership route. But most decent courses in the area are minimum $65.

Blog: http://emergencynine.com/

In my bag you'll find lots of left-handed clubs like these:
Driver: G10 9* TFC (stock) S
3 wood: G5 Aldila NV SIrons 4 thru P: MX-20 TTDG RWedges: MP T Series Chrome, Forged - 52/56/60Putter: CallieBall: B330Bag (carry): Tour Stand; (cart): 9" Staff Tour

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hi everybody,

im new to this forum and this is my first reply. i pay generally about $30-$40 here in southern wisconsin. you can get a pretty fair course at that price ... muni's and some clubs. we've got several excellent courses too in the area and i'll splurge with someone depending on the occassion, if it's a great course we've heard about but haven't played, or simply if it's been too long playing the muni's, etc.

how much do you usually pay to play an 18 hole round? walk or ride? how often?

I belonged to a club for 17 years. I played it three times a week. That made the expense per round reasonable. Then realized I just couldn't look at those holes any more. Now, I play once a week with a bunch of other refugees from that club and some other $10 Nassau nut cases. I'm a little older now so I don't play three times a week. If it's once a week, I'm OK with $40-$70. If it's once a week, you might as well enjoy the course. We have plenty of goat ranches around here for $25 or less. I don't play those. I'll retire sometime in the near future. Then I'll go for the $800 annual pass to all of the Columbus muni courses (5) and go to MapQuest to locate all of the goat ranches.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

I could play for less than 30 bucks with a cart if those damn married guys in my group didn't have to play at the crack of dawn every weekend

My Bag

Driver: Sumo 460 10.5º Stiff
4 & 7 Woods: T-40 Stiff
Irons: Tight Lies GT 3-PWWedges: Tom Watson SignaturePutter: Daiwa DG-245Ball: One PlatinumGone Golfin'

I could play for less than 30 bucks with a cart if those damn married guys in my group didn't have to play at the crack of dawn every weekend

Come up to Ohio and join the Cocksmen's Golf Club. Seriously, that's the name of the club. We play every Sunday, just about everybody is married and we have a rule: no tee times before 9. I don't think you are supposed to play golf with morning mouth.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

Come up to Ohio and join the Cocksmen's Golf Club. Seriously, that's the name of the club. We play every Sunday, just about everybody is married and we have a rule: no tee times before 9. I don't think you are supposed to play golf with morning mouth.

I don't think you are either, the problem is these guys haven't been married long enough to make their own rules.

For some reason you are permitted to be gone for 5+ hours to play golf as long as it isn't in the afternoon. I don't quite understand it, but that may be why I'm not married. My favorite part is the 16th hole check-in they all make on the cell phone to let the wifey know they are finishing up.
My Bag

Driver: Sumo 460 10.5º Stiff
4 & 7 Woods: T-40 Stiff
Irons: Tight Lies GT 3-PWWedges: Tom Watson SignaturePutter: Daiwa DG-245Ball: One PlatinumGone Golfin'

how much do you usually pay to play an 18 hole round? walk or ride? how often?

I play about 25 rounds a year on average and pay about $36 per round. I have two kids and so, I, too, am on a golf budget. I try to limit my $50+ rounds to five per year and also hunt for the coupons. But, when I play an upscale, because I play few courses like that a year, it is a real treat. Playing in the afternoon enables me to pay less. Several courses offer free rounds (if you walk like me) if you fill out a survey. Last year, I received a free round plus a vastly reduced rate on another course, so I try to look out for surveys. I also get deals by signing up for special e-rates over the net.

• 3 weeks later...
I pay $34/month for unlimited access to the range and practice facilities, free access to all the group clinics, and $12/16 twilight green fee w/ cart. I actually prefer to play in the afternoon so it saves me a bunch of money plus having unlimited use of the range makes the $34 a month worth it.

What's in my orange Callaway Warbird Hot:

Maltby CT250 11.5° - SK Fiber Pure Energy s-flex
Maltby CT250 18° - SK Fiber Tour Trac 80 s-flex
Taylor Made RAC OS2 3-PW - True Temper r-flexTitleist Vokey Satin 252.08 (bent to 49°) & Satin SM54.10Yes! Tiffany (center shafted)Top Flite D2 Feel...

If you want to play some great golf on some fantastic courses think about visiting Arizona in the summer. I try and get down to Tucson in the summer and take advantage of some great rates on fantastic courses ($30-40 for a course that is $100 plus in the spring). If you can take the heat it's definitely worth.

What's in the bag?
Titleist D2 9.5 Stiff
Mizuno F60 3W
TaylorMade 3 Hybrid
Nike Pro Combo 3-PWTaylorMade TP 52 degreeTaylorMade TP 60degree

My local 18-hole muni runs $20 on weekends walking. Its par 67 but still well worth the money. Most of the time I can book a tee time online a day prior at $8-$12. The other courses I play in the Sacramento area run between $40-$60 on the weekends. I have so many options.

This year I hope to play Edgewood in Tahoe but it runs $200+ (see my avatar)

Driver: 454 Comp 10.5* Stiff
3-Wood: Warbird Strong 3 Stiff
Irons: I10, 3-PW, white dot, stiff
Wedges: Tour-W 54/14 and 60/10
Putter: Anser 2Ball: Pro-V1

Its about a 40-50 range here on a weekend riding. Still kinda high to me since we are supposed to have the most tracks per sq mile then any other city in the U.S. Atleast thats what I heard. Nebraska also has 2 of the highest rated public corses in the nation.
IN THE BAG:

Driver- 907 D2 9.5 w/ Aldila "Proto By You" Stiff
3 Wood- 975 w/ Aldila NV
5 Wood- 975 w/ Aldila NVIrons- 806CB w/ Black shaftsWedges- Vokey 52*,56*,60*Putter- NewportBall- Pro V1

In the Palm Springs area rates vary a great deal depending on the time of year. In the winter time, its tough to find anything for less than $90 while summertime rates are below $40 for many tracks.

I buy a frequent player card for a couple hundred dollars which lets me play for around $50 in the winter and around $25 during the summer.

Cleveland Classic XL 10.5 Rombax 6X07
Titleist 904F Aldila NV
Nickent 3DX hybrid

MX-25 irons & MP-R wedges

Odyssey #5

Leopold GX1/Skycaddie SG5

Sun Mountain Hybrid Bag

• 2 weeks later...
Well I have a membership, but like a couple of other local courses and play those quite a bit. I never take a cart so I am not sure how much that is but walking is usually about $35-40 bucks for 18 holes on weekend. Many courses have a twighlight rate too which is like $20 walking all the holes you can golf after 3pm.
"When I play with him, he talks to me on every green. He turns to me and says, 'You're away.' "
-Jimmy Demaret referring to Ben Hogan

In The Bag:
Driver: Cleveland HiBore XL (10.5 -conforming)3 Wood: MacGregor V-FOIL5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001Irons: Ben Hogan BH-5 (4-PW)Wedges:52 - Nike SV Tour56 - Cleve...

About $4,000 annually at my club and I own my own cart, and $75-$125 per 18 elsewhere (bringing my cart); rarely, I will pay $150-$250 to play a course like a TPC. Over the past 20 years or so I haven't found any first class courses under $75 for 18, even in the off season.

I really hate places that make you use their crappy carts at $50-$100+ per round.

2007 Yamaha Cart
TaylorMade R7 460 Superquad Driver, 10.5, Reg flex (RF)
Taylormade R7 Titanium 3,5 & 7 Fairway woods RF
PING Rapture irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, graphite RF
Odyssey White Hot Two Ball putter Ping Cart Bag, Pioneer in Atomic OrangeNow playing Titleist Pro V1x balls

I buy memberships at 4 of the 5 courses around here (one is too new and has no trees). I spend about $8700 between the 4 memeberships, but I play every day in the morning before work (can usually get 9 in) and try to get the other 9 in after work and usually 18 (or 36 if I have the time) on the weekends. Yeah, I play a lot of golf. But I wouldn't have it any other way!

Note: This thread is 5901 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!