IGNORED

Rotating the wrists to straighten a drive: can't do it

Note: This thread is 2526 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 4/5/2017 at 6:26 AM, gregsandiego said:

So why do you refer to the position of the grip as strong, neutral, weak? It seems that should be called something else like left, center, right?

In any case, I don't know. I know Ben Hogan wrote a whole boring chapter on the grip. My amateur opinion is that it is over evaluated. But I'll take a look at the V thing. I remember in my first ever golf lessons they taught me that. Thanks for the suggestion!

Hard to say without actually witnessing what you are doing. I can only give my input based on what you've told us. You say that you are hitting straight out to the right. To me, this would indicate either an alignment problem or face angle. This could by caused by a myriad of things as has already been addressed. If you are sure you are aligned up squarely to the target, to me, the two things that come to my mind that might help would be (as I mentioned previously), strengthening your grip by having the club more in the palm of your right hand and fingers of your left, (turn right hand "under" slightly). This should give you more time to square the club at impact or at least facilitate it.

Secondly, it appears that you are not turning through the ball (blocking). A swing thought that might help this would be that on the downswing replace your left shoulder with your right to the degree that the outside of your right shoulder is pointing down the target line if you were to "hold your finish".  The notion of palmer flexion (mistakenly referred to as supination by many) was probably given you as a means of squaring up at impact, but as pointed out a couple times before, is probably not the root cause. its a good thing to do, but also putting the cart before the horse.  Just my observation and I am certainly not qualified as an instructor, but I can relate to things that have helped me in the past.

Good luck with it. Post a swing video for those more qualified to interpret and try not to become confused with too much input and points of view. 

• Upvote 2

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 2526 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!