IGNORED

Rotating the wrists to straighten a drive: can't do it

Note: This thread is 2516 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Everyone of my drives goes off to the right. Not a slice, I think this is an open face issue.

My instructor says I should be rotating the wrists gradually on the way down to correct it. I find this move to subtle to perform.Either I don't do it at all, or I over-do it and hit the ball weird with some kind of top spin.

Is there a different approach I should be trying?

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

Right going right? Or right going in a straight line?

Video would help.

Reverse-revving the throttle on a motorcycle feel might help.

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Have you tried a stronger grip? Alignment problem? if you have an open face and path at same angle, you will have a ball going right. If you favor an open face, then you need to have the swing path a little "more" open to create differential between path and face angle.

or...like my girl friend once told me..."why don't you just hit the ball straight?"   now, why didn't I think of that?

Edited by Hacker James

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, colin007 said:

a) The above.

b) Please do not try to rotate your wrists during the downswing.

c) Check that your grip is not weak and/or palmy.

d) How about a Member Swing thread?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

4 hours ago, colin007 said:

Right going right? Or right going in a straight line?

Video would help.

More a straight line. 

And I don't understand that reverse revving statement at all. Please explain in detail.

4 hours ago, iacas said:

a) The above.

b) Please do not try to rotate your wrists during the downswing.

c) Check that your grip is not weak and/or palmy.

d) How about a Member Swing thread?

Thank you.

I already asked @colin007 to explain that revving thing. 

But why do you say NOT do rotate?

And yes as a matter of fact my grip does come loose at the top. Hmmm.

4 hours ago, Hacker James said:

Have you tried a stronger grip? Alignment problem? if you have an open face and path at same angle, you will have a ball going right. If you favor an open face, then you need to have the swing path a little "more" open to create differential between path and face angle.

or...like my girl friend once told me..."why don't you just hit the ball straight?"   now, why didn't I think of that?

I'm starting to think about this grip thing.

Your girlfriend's sense of humor is like mine. 

4 hours ago, gregsandiego said:

More a straight line. 

And I don't understand that reverse revving statement at all. Please explain in detail.

Thank you.

I already asked @colin007 to explain that revving thing. 

But why do you say NOT do rotate?

And yes as a matter of fact my grip does come loose at the top. Hmmm.

I'm starting to think about this grip thing.

Trying to rotate the wrists on the downswing (i.e. right wrist rotating over left) will cause lots of problems. Mainly, it can lead to an over-the-top swing. Some call this 'release'. You would just be replacing a push or push fade with a hook.

Video would really help. I would recommend starting a My Swing thread. There maybe other issues that are causing the push and push fade.

In general, the motor cycle revving feel will close the face without rolling the wrists over each other. You will keep and inside out swing path and be able to draw the ball back.

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

Trying to rotate the wrists on the downswing (i.e. right wrist rotating over left) will cause lots of problems. Mainly, it can lead to an over-the-top swing. Some call this 'release'. You would just be replacing a push or push fade with a hook.

Video would really help. I would recommend starting a My Swing thread. There maybe other issues that are causing the push and push fade.

In general, the motor cycle revving feel will close the face without rolling the wrists over each other. You will keep and inside out swing path and be able to draw the ball back.

Unless I misunderstood the intent, "reverse" revving would be twisting clockwise and open the face, but it would encourage the lifting of the lead shoulder and inside out path. A motor cycle grip is spring loaded in that you twist it counter clockwise when revving up. 

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, Hacker James said:

Unless I misunderstood the intent, "reverse" revving would be twisting clockwise and open the face, but it would encourage the lifting of the lead shoulder and inside out path. A motor cycle grip is spring loaded in that you twist it counter clockwise when revving up. 

It's twisting the left hand into palmar flexion. If the butt of the grip was a clock you'd twist 12 o'clock to 10 or so. Closes face without adding flip.

A little goes a long way.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

This is highly individual and tough to gauge without seeing your swing, but I know for me, when I start missing shots left, it typically is because my tempo has speed up too much, so the clubface is open at impact. When I slow my tempo down slightly, it feels like my clubface has a split second more time to square up through impact and the shots are typically much straighter.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

1 hour ago, iacas said:

It's twisting the left hand into palmar flexion. If the butt of the grip was a clock you'd twist 12 o'clock to 10 or so. Closes face without adding flip.

You mean just before impact? This sounds almost the same as what I'm being taught. 

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, gregsandiego said:

You mean just before impact? This sounds almost the same as what I'm being taught. 

I suspect what I'm talking about it is a little different. In what I'm talking about the orientation of the radius and ulna doesn't change when you just do the thing I'm talking about. I suspect you're being told something different.

But… you're a high handicapper and palmar flexion is likely well down on the list of problems. You should create a Member Swing thread. I doubt this is anywhere near what I'd call your priority.

13 hours ago, iacas said:

BINGO!

It's a unique feel. One I used to enjoy frequently back in the day. Not so much currently. I've been trying to rediscover it recently. It's easy for some to think the "flip" is release. It is not!

My last couple of range sessions have been very illustrative. Been crushing shots dead on the button with little effort!

Just gotta keep working. And mind your right hand!

When you say, @iacas

"If the butt of the grip was a clock you'd twist 12 o'clock to 10 or so. "

When exactly do you do this twisting thing?

To the OP and those providing suggestions in this thread, my swing thanks you.

Ping G2 Driver; Titleist 906F2 5W; TM Rescue Mid 3H; Adams Idea Pro 4H; Titleist DTR 3-SW; Callaway Bobby Jones Putter; Ping Hoofer lite

• Administrator
1 hour ago, gregsandiego said:

When you say, @iacas

"If the butt of the grip was a clock you'd twist 12 o'clock to 10 or so. "

When exactly do you do this twisting thing?

The entire downswing. If you wait too long you physically can't do it prior to impact.

8 minutes ago, iacas said:

The entire downswing. If you wait too long you physically can't do it prior to impact.

OK. Now it sounds like you and my instructor are on the same page! I started out this thread saying I can't do that.

(Maybe after 1000 reps I could)

12 minutes ago, wannabe said:

To the OP and those providing suggestions in this thread, my swing thanks you.

I'm glad it was useful. Maybe you can show me now  HA HA

To me, the move being described is basically the way Dustin Johnson's wrists look at the top of his backswing.

Correct?

• Upvote 1

Ping G2 Driver; Titleist 906F2 5W; TM Rescue Mid 3H; Adams Idea Pro 4H; Titleist DTR 3-SW; Callaway Bobby Jones Putter; Ping Hoofer lite

On 3/27/2017 at 1:46 AM, gregsandiego said:

You and I would probably get along then, lol. When playing with my buddies (who live out of state now) I would say crap like (after they hit one OB) "No, you're supposed to hit it towards the flag. See? The flag is over there." 

lol :banana:

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

Note: This thread is 2516 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!