IGNORED

Train Like a Golf Athlete

vjgidda
Note: This thread is 2505 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Anyone who plays golf understands golf is hard.  It’s a simple game, but it’s just plain hard.  I want to share a few thoughts on how to train like an athlete to improve your golf game.  I’ve been training clients for years and they always ask me:  

“Should I just join a globo gym?”

“What  fitness exercises work best for playing golf?”

“How do I improve my balance and coordination?”

Notice something about the comments?  Many of the students who come to me do not know where to begin or how proper golf functional training can really lower their scores and make the game easier.  Some students are in really good shape but just want a new program to follow.  There is too much information out there on golf fitness, so how can you sort through it all and improve faster?

Proper golf skills training has 3 main elements:

1. Core/Lower Body Strength

2. Functional Swing Training

3. Mobility

Core/Lower Body Strength:  Targeted exercises for the transverse and rectus abdominus, and internal/external obliques will play a huge role in posture and stability throughout the golf swing.  Also, targeted exercises for the posterior chain will help stabilize the body during the swing and help to prevent early extension.

Functional Swing Training:  Building body awareness of movement patterns layered on top of strength exercises.  Static and dynamic swings along with tempo swings.  Coordination drills that increase awareness with shaft and sweet spot of club.    

Mobility:  Encompassing natural movement patterns, joint mobilization, pre round warmup, post round recovery, and playing with injuries.  

The truth about getting your body strong and ready enough to swing a golf club is that it takes many repetitions with a planned program using the the modalities that I’ve listed.  There are no shortcuts, only HARD work.  Most importantly it takes DAILY discipline to put in the work and be aware of how your body is moving in space.

• 4 weeks later...

I have developed my own version of a slow down Power Yoga. The general public and especially men for the most part have overlooked the amazing benefits of this practice. I have been doing it for twenty years and I have found nothing that compares to this complete body workout that promotes strength, balance, and mobility. As a golfer I believe it is really important to keep a balance in the body. So many golfers think we need to target just the golf muscles and forget about the supportive muscle groups that support the movement. As you say much of it is commitment   . A little progress over a period of time will allow the body to adjust to it's new routine. My guess is that it is very similar to what you are doing at least in principle.

No doubt a lot of merit to the above, but then I am reminded of Craig Stadler and John Daly. Not exactly poster children, yet they both seemed to have faired well.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

there are exceptions to every rule and there are no guarantees, but I want the odds on my side and I do not want to roll the dice and maybe pay a bigger price down the road as I age. I know too many golfers who used that model and are no longer playing

Instead of trolling out a self serving ad, one might consider:

- Contacting Dave and Erik about a sponsor's membership

- Offering a giveaway to the members as part of being a sponsor to facilitate a business

also - tons of threads on golf fitness (which I personally find to be a misnomer, I prefer overall fitness.  But it's useful to others, so that's just for me.  Anything that gets people to even try to take care of themselves I applaud.)   A search function is good.

Bill - 

1 hour ago, rehmwa said:

Instead of trolling out a self serving ad, one might consider:

- Contacting Dave and Erik about a sponsor's membership

- Offering a giveaway to the members as part of being a sponsor to facilitate a business

also - tons of threads on golf fitness (which I personally find to be a misnomer, I prefer overall fitness.  But it's useful to others, so that's just for me.  Anything that gets people to even try to take care of themselves I applaud.)   A search function is good.

I agree with you regarding post.  I'll inquire about sponsorship.  Thank you.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, vjgidda said:

I agree with you regarding post.  I'll inquire about sponsorship.  Thank you.

well, that was gracious.  Now I'm not sure how to stay outraged....:beer:

good luck

• Upvote 1

Bill - 

10 minutes ago, rehmwa said:

well, that was gracious.  Now I'm not sure how to stay outraged....:beer:

good luck

I would also be inclined to give him a pass on the seemingly self serving , but perhaps well intentioned attempt from someone who wasn't completely aware of the rules or decorum and really can't find a lot of fault for trying. I am also giving note to the apparent restraint from admin in giving the party at least the opportunity for redemption. Moving on.

• Upvote 1

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

in regard to the idea of golf fitness vs overall fitness. I have found over the years that those who can attach their fitness program to something in their personal life seem to much more committed It can be their golf game, their gardening, shoveling snow etc. I think this is because it is a committment and no one wants to make a committment without a return on investment and if results show up in their personal life in a measurable way they get more exited about it.

• Upvote 2

Note: This thread is 2505 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!