IGNORED

What Would a 20.1 (see post #95) Index Shoot at a Local U.S. Open Qualifier Site?

kpaulhus
Note: This thread is 1620 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
On 6/23/2017 at 0:24 PM, tsdugger said:

Excited to watch this round... @kpaulhus and I are building some interest at the club and it looks like we might have a proper gallery to follow the group.

Trying to set it up where the club pro announces names on the first tee and have someone follow the group with a scoreboard.

So… not at all like a local qualifier for a U.S. Open…? :-)

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 hours ago, iacas said:

So… not at all like a local qualifier for a U.S. Open…? :-)

That depends. There should be some kind of pressure, not just an other round with the guys where the only difference is that you play by the rules of strokeplay.

To me, the pressure they are building now is comparable to a first time local qualifier for a U.S. open.

• Administrator
3 hours ago, MacDutch said:

That depends. There should be some kind of pressure, not just an other round with the guys where the only difference is that you play by the rules of strokeplay.

To me, the pressure they are building now is comparable to a first time local qualifier for a U.S. open.

I disagree. It's contrived.

• Upvote 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, iacas said:

I disagree. It's contrived.

Of course it's contrived.  But honestly, I doubt that it's all that far from experiencing the pressure someone plying their first time in a US Open qualifier would likely feel.

The test here is going to be the golf course (length) and the handicap system itself.  As I initially said, he should be well under the target, simply because of the math.  But, given no ESC, the challenges of a pure stroke play round that must be seen to completion, and some unfamiliar pressure, contrived or not, I could easily see him having an outlier round.  

I wont be surprised be either result.  I'm still interested to hear what happens though.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

If one wanted to measure how a 20.1 index player would score in a Local Qualifier, why not go to Hot Springs Country Club?  That was the site of a 2017 Local Qualifier.

Brian Kuehn

• Administrator
8 hours ago, David in FL said:

Of course it's contrived.  But honestly, I doubt that it's all that far from experiencing the pressure someone plying their first time in a US Open qualifier would likely feel.

I don't. I think the bet alone is enough pressure. Some guys play in those with no pressure because they know they won't make it and are just doing it for the experience.

On 6/23/2017 at 0:24 PM, tsdugger said:

Excited to watch this round... @kpaulhus and I are building some interest at the club and it looks like we might have a proper gallery to follow the group.

Trying to set it up where the club pro announces names on the first tee and have someone follow the group with a scoreboard 

@kpaulhus and @tsdugger... is this challenge good-natured? I mean, there's not a lot of money riding on it or serious trash talk, correct?

5 hours ago, iacas said:

Some guys play in those with no pressure because they know they won't make it and are just doing it for the experience. 

This is what I was thinking.

I'd play a qualifier or take this bet in a heartbeat but not because I'd expect a successful outcome. It would be more for the fun of it. There would be little more pressure than posting one of my rounds here online. Like someone said in another post recently, no one cares how bad we are. Obviously, we'd prefer to play our best, but even that isn't very good. It's just golf.

Jon

5 hours ago, JonMA1 said:

@kpaulhus and @tsdugger... is this challenge good-natured? I mean, there's not a lot of money riding on it or serious trash talk, correct?

This is what I was thinking.

I'd play a qualifier or take this bet in a heartbeat but not because I'd expect a successful outcome. It would be more for the fun of it. There would be little more pressure than posting one of my rounds here online. Like someone said in another post recently, no one cares how bad we are. Obviously, we'd prefer to play our best, but even that isn't very good. It's just golf.

What started as a "pressure" round has been blown into a big deal. I don't want a gallery or announcing players and BS but there is a bit of money on the line now. He is even trying to wager lowering the number to 122 strokes if he gets to ride in a cart. Idk how I feel about it anymore, but we will see. 

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

18 hours ago, kpaulhus said:

What started as a "pressure" round has been blown into a big deal. I don't want a gallery or announcing players and BS but there is a bit of money on the line now. He is even trying to wager lowering the number to 122 strokes if he gets to ride in a cart. Idk how I feel about it anymore, but we will see. 

That sucks. He should just go walk the course, try to play his best golf and see what happens. Either way, it's not like one round is going to really prove anything either way.

I would love to have one of the better player on this forum play my course from the tips and make a small wager that they couldn't shoot their average score. It'd be interesting to see how they'd attack some of the hazards that give me fits. But something like that sure as hell wouldn't turn into anything negative whether they proved me wrong or not.

Jon

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, JonMA1 said:

Either way, it's not like one round is going to really prove anything either way.

If he breaks 127, it will prove that he can break 127. :-)

11 minutes ago, JonMA1 said:

I would love to have one of the better player on this forum play my course from the tips and make a small wager that they couldn't shoot their average score. It'd be interesting to see how they'd attack some of the hazards that give me fits. But something like that sure as hell wouldn't turn into anything negative whether they proved me wrong or not.

Post a topic somewhere with the one or two top holes that give you fits. Often the things a higher handicapper sees as problems or hazards don't even really enter the mind or process of a good player.

2 hours ago, iacas said:

If he breaks 127, it will prove that he can break 127. :-)

I stand corrected. 

Off topic...

Spoiler

2 hours ago, iacas said:

Post a topic somewhere with the one or two top holes that give you fits. Often the things a higher handicapper sees as problems or hazards don't even really enter the mind or process of a good player.

I have posted a few holes from this course over the years. I'm certain you're right and many may even find the course easier than the rating or my perception of it. But because I've yet to play more than 4 or 5 holes with a low handicapper from the tips, I don't have much reference to go by. Most mid-cappers tell me they find the course difficult and avoid those back tees.

It's just a weird course compared to others I've played. If one's dispersion is tight, or if he can shape the ball when in trouble (which I suspect would be the case with most single-digit players) I'm guessing he'd be ok. Other than being smallish, the greens are not that challenging to the average putter. There are a few unforeseeable trouble spots but I suppose that's the case with most courses.

Jon

(edited)
27 minutes ago, JonMA1 said:

I stand corrected. 

Off topic...

Hide contents

I have posted a few holes from this course over the years. I'm certain you're right and many may even find the course easier than the rating or my perception of it. But because I've yet to play more than 4 or 5 holes with a low handicapper from the tips, I don't have much reference to go by. Most mid-cappers tell me they find the course difficult and avoid those back tees.

It's just a weird course compared to others I've played. If one's dispersion is tight, or if he can shape the ball when in trouble (which I suspect would be the case with most single-digit players) I'm guessing he'd be ok. Other than being smallish, the greens are not that challenging to the average putter. There are a few unforeseeable trouble spots but I suppose that's the case with most courses.

I'll continue the OT and say I've never shot a normal round at a course I played for the first time. Course knowledge is worth more strokes than you think. 

My my friends last 3 rounds have been 90-92 so unless he loses a finger or something I think he will cover the spread. He has been playing a much easier course, but to @iacas earlier posts, the differential is astronomical versus his average. 

Edited by kpaulhus

Kyle Paulhus

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

8 minutes ago, kpaulhus said:

I'll continue the OT and say I've never shot a normal round at a course I played for the first time. Course knowledge is worth more strokes than you think. 

My my friends last 3 rounds have been 90-92 so unless he loses a finger or something I think he will cover the spread. He has been playing a much easier course, but to @iacas earlier posts, the differential is astronomical versus his average. 

What's the differential on a 90 for the course he's playing?  What yardage has he been playing?

That sounds like he's trending a bit better than 20.1....

In David's bag....

(edited)
5 minutes ago, David in FL said:

What's the differential on a 90 for the course he's playing?  What yardage has he been playing?

That sounds like he's trending a bit better than 20.1....

Mind you those 3 scores at the bottom were double bogey then pick up, so not true scores. 

His current course, Fayetteville CC, the yardage is 5785 from the tees he plays. 

IMG_0296.PNG

Edited by kpaulhus

Kyle Paulhus

2 minutes ago, kpaulhus said:

Mind you those 3 scores at the bottom were double bogey then pick up, so not true scores. 

IMG_0296.PNG

What yardage is he used to playing?  What's the yardage on the "qualifier"?

It's looking like he should break the 127 by a good bit....

In David's bag....

(edited)
6 minutes ago, David in FL said:

What yardage is he used to playing?  What's the yardage on the "qualifier"?

It's looking like he should break the 127 by a good bit....

He usually plays 5800 yards. The qualifying round will be at 7000. For example, the 3rd hole Par 3 on the "qualifying course" tonight from the back tees was playing 217. I foresee him having to play from the drop zone 

IMG_0297.PNG

Edited by kpaulhus

Kyle Paulhus

1 minute ago, kpaulhus said:

He usually plays 5800 yes. The qualifying round will be at 7000. 

Those FL rounds were a lot more than 5800 yards... ;-) 

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Just now, David in FL said:

Those FL rounds were a lot more than 5800 yards... ;-) 

Yes, but he didn't finish half the holes. 

Kyle Paulhus

Note: This thread is 1620 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!