IGNORED

My Swing (Antneye)

Antneye
Note: This thread is 1036 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Posting a quick check in on what I hope is progress. I was a little misaligned to the camera but it should be enough. I am putting a tripod on the next purchase list so I can get some real shots on the range.

I am being very deliberate getting to the top and then taking a full swing in these 3 swings.  

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

(edited)

Took things out to the range after work this evening and had a positive session. Far from perfect, but when I did things properly I made some really nice contact. I could tell the swings where everything was executed properly. Most of my misses tended to  be on the fat side with a handful of thin shots but my ball flight was much better than it had been on even the best of my shots prior to refocusing on my main pieces. My ball flight was mostly a draw and I really didn't concern myself with trying to align it to my target. I just wanted to swing and see what my tendency was. 

Dont get me wrong, there is a lot of work to do to find the needed consistency to score well but I feel I'm heading in the right direction. My driver is really coming around and that will make a big difference for me. I even had some nice swings with my hybrid and low irons. 3 wood off the deck still needs work but was improved. 

A couple of takeaways:

1) I'm being very deliberate on the takeaway and might just make that my norm. Maybe I can eventually do it with more tempo, but for now it seems more important to get to the top properly than it is to get to the top faster than I am. 

2) My best strikes came when I could really feel that I was staying down through impact. I have a tendency to stand up a bit through impact and when I kept my spine angle the same it "felt" different then usual. I'm struggling to define it but I think it's something I can ingrain. 

3) I am definitely buying a tripod shortly. I want to be able to see my range sessions on video so I can better visualize my good and bad swings. In addition to feeling like i was staying down I felt my best results were when I really started my downswing with my hips starting forward and rotating, my hands staying behind a bit, and my head staying behind the ball. It felt great but I have no idea if it looked as good as it felt. I suspect that on my fat shots I was simply not getting my weight forward enough while performing those feelings. My thins simply felt like I was standing up through the downswing. 

Positive vibes today. 

Edited by Antneye
  • Thumbs Up 1

Tripod incoming....time to take things to the next level!

$3 after applying $17 in Amazon cc points. LOL. I spend $150 on wedges without blinking an eye but it took me this long to make a $20 purchase that will greatly aid my game. 

Tripod arrived. Can’t wait to get to the range and take a proper slo mo video of my swing. The lighting sucks for slo mo in my garage and I don’t have enough room for a proper FV. 

Looking for some guidance since I feel like I am a bit stuck. I'm trying to get to the range over the next few days to get some slo-mo video of DTL and FV with 7 iron and driver but wanted to put this up to hopefully get some ideas for practice or things to work on. My main piece is still trying to get to the top in a better position and get on plane in the downswing. I feel I have come a long way but I still have a slight steepening of my shoulders at the beginning of the downswing and no matter how much I practice I can't seem to get rid of it. 

The video is a bit long (4 min) but you can FF to each swing. Here I do a series of slow swings and then some full swings just so you can see the difference in the two. I use those hand gestures to let me know when I am making the change as I review. 

Thoughts? What should I be working on to get that transition fixed? Or is it still all a product of not getting to the top properly?

• Administrator

You have any recent face-on video? I didn't see any in that whole video.

Your arms stay up and are already too close to you, then you rotate with your upper body without involving the legs much, and the arms stay up.

01.jpg02.jpg

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

You have any recent face-on video? I didn't see any in that whole video.

Your arms stay up and are already too close to you, then you rotate with your upper body without involving the legs much, and the arms stay up.

01.jpg02.jpg

Unfortunately no, but I will be posting some as soon as I can get to the range now that I have a tripod. I can't get a good FV in the garage because there is a ping pong table to my right. 

Thanks for the feedback. I think I follow what you are saying on the lower body . If I'm understanding properly I am not engaging my lower body soon enough. I've been trying to focus on starting with my lower body but clearly need more work there. With regards to my arms being too close to me. Is that in reference to my backswing and getting to the top or something I am doing on the downswing?

I feel like I am getting to the top better than before but what the heck do I know 😁

• Administrator
17 minutes ago, Antneye said:

Unfortunately no, but I will be posting some as soon as I can get to the range now that I have a tripod. I can't get a good FV in the garage because there is a ping pong table to my right. 

Thanks for the feedback. I think I follow what you are saying on the lower body . If I'm understanding properly I am not engaging my lower body soon enough. I've been trying to focus on starting with my lower body but clearly need more work there. With regards to my arms being too close to me. Is that in reference to my backswing and getting to the top or something I am doing on the downswing?

I feel like I am getting to the top better than before but what the heck do I know 😁

• Thumbs Up 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 hours ago, iacas said:

So, I've watched this and understand it, but have no idea how to apply it or what drills I should be doing to work on it. 

Any suggestions? I did a few more really slow swing practice sessions but don't seem able to do anything to improve it. 

• Administrator

Stop pulling your left arm so far across your chest on the backswing.

Big topic in the COVID-19 30-Day Practice Plan.

8 hours ago, iacas said:

Stop pulling your left arm so far across your chest on the backswing.

Big topic in the COVID-19 30-Day Practice Plan.

Got it. Back to those drills this week and some proper video to come this week after I've seen some improvement. 

Tons of practice today focused on the first 5 days of Covid. I have a long way to go but I feel like I'm seeing some progress. Here a few shots of left arm parallel to the ground on the downswing. Its better than the first photo above but not quite Justin Rose. 

These were all slow swings. Can't quite repeat it fast yet. 

DB1E406A-5CDC-4A59-AFCA-7EAF92395938.png

414C88FA-69A2-4B42-9808-2BFA6EE66E35.png

27AFA6ED-A825-46EB-8E5D-97C5F53E9DE4.png

• Administrator

Chest is still pretty open there with the left arm still back/high.

(It's not "open" of course, but it's not as turned back as it is. That's what you should see at A5 there.)

28 minutes ago, iacas said:

Chest is still pretty open there with the left arm still back/high.

(It's not "open" of course, but it's not as turned back as it is. That's what you should see at A5 there.)

I see what you mean on the chest. I guess I'm starting the shoulders to soon and need to let my lower body get more out in front. That's been the focus.  I'm not sure I understand the "left arm still back/high". I just looked at the P's thread to review the A5 pics and they all appear to be further back than me with their hands appearing to be under the right shoulder.  I don't think I'm interpreting what you are saying properly. (User error I'm sure).

• Administrator

Lower body, arms down, yeah.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't know what is harder, hitting a golf ball or posting slo-mo video from an iPhone to YouTube (apparently it's hitting a golf ball since I solved the iPhone challenge)

Finally I have some proper video to post (although I think my DTL is slightly off angle wise. I'll work on that for the next time). I don't think there is much improvementy since my last garage video but at least we can now see it in slo-mo with a real ball on turf and also have FV to go along with it. My swing has definitely changed because I found I had to tee my driver much lower during my session than normal but once I made that adjustment I was hitting my driver better then I have in a long time. Ball flight on my irons was still lower then I would like but that's not really my focus right now. One thing at a time.....

• Thumbs Up 1

I've been trying to digest what Im seeing in my latest videos and I have a couple of takeaways:

1) My head sways a little back on the backswing, but I don't think it's a killer for me. Either way I need to clean it up. 

2) If you go back to my original post in this thread my head does not move down nearly as much as it used to but it still does. 

3) I really need to clean up the start of my downswing. I seem to get to the top ok (I may be very wrong about this) but then I dart down a bit and the shaft steepens. I've been working on this but don't see much improvement. I honestly don't know what to do about that. 

4) I seem to be very close to proper inline impact even with these flaws so I think I'm not far from putting together a serviceable swing. 

5) I'm considering joining evolvr now that I have the proper equipment to take advantage of it. 

6) This site is the best and anyone not doing a swing thread is just wasting their time. 

On 8/31/2020 at 5:59 PM, Antneye said:

Tons of practice today focused on the first 5 days of Covid. I have a long way to go but I feel like I'm seeing some progress. Here a few shots of left arm parallel to the ground on the downswing. Its better than the first photo above but not quite Justin Rose. 

These were all slow swings. Can't quite repeat it fast yet. 

DB1E406A-5CDC-4A59-AFCA-7EAF92395938.png

414C88FA-69A2-4B42-9808-2BFA6EE66E35.png

27AFA6ED-A825-46EB-8E5D-97C5F53E9DE4.png

Very OT but what does your shirt say on the front?

3 hours ago, Antneye said:

5) I'm considering joining evolvr now that I have the proper equipment to take advantage of it. 

This would be a good investment, IMO.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Note: This thread is 1036 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!