IGNORED

Home golf room setup

Note: This thread is 2150 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

23 hours ago, Shindig said:

Yes to both!  I have to find a drawing app that can let me make a blueprint style thing.  Or I could try to diagram it in Paint.

As for the budget, I have no objection to spending $495 if you think it's a good thing for my objective.  For that matter, I spend a lot more than that on painting the new place and also on carpet. 

Well, I sort of could hit balls near year round anyway... while I do get cold in the So Cal winters, by no means do they make it impossible to step outdoors and play golf or hit an outdoor range.  However, ever since graduating from school, I haven't made use of year-round golf availability, and having something in my home would have the effect that I could.  I hope.  At least that's what I'm betting on :-)

Wait a minute! You get cold in the Winter in southern California? You have to be kidding me! Come play with me and my buds in the early Spring when the ponds on the course are still frozen over! It's kind of nice, actually. You don't have to worry about losing balls in the water hazards!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Great post @Shindig you have enough room to simply practice swing with no balls--Try a Sklz or Orange whip swing trainer for irons and you won't hit the ceiling. A low rent solution to protect the carpet is a door mat. Finally, if you get almost golf balls or other foam ones, you can practice without of breaking anything

great project. Good luck!

Edited by Mico
Typo

• Administrator
On 6/9/2017 at 3:23 PM, Shindig said:

Here's an updated diagram.  In this case, I couldn't get the door to render.  If you're standing at the bottom-right looking in, it opens from your right to left on an arc. 

2017-06-09 (2).png

If it were me, I'd try to…

• Put a mat in front of the mirror.
  • Put one of those SwingBoxes in front of the window.
  • Find a putting strip to put along the right-hand wall as you walk in to the room.
  • Mount a mirror on the right wall so you can see your swing face-on and down-the-line at the same time.

Would that work? You could also obviously put things on the wall behind you (left wall) and along the right wall or beneath the window to the right, too.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

5 hours ago, iacas said:

If it were me, I'd try to…

• Put a mat in front of the mirror.
  • Put one of those SwingBoxes in front of the window.
  • Find a putting strip to put along the right-hand wall as you walk in to the room.
  • Mount a mirror on the right wall so you can see your swing face-on and down-the-line at the same time.

Would that work? You could also obviously put things on the wall behind you (left wall) and along the right wall or beneath the window to the right, too.

I think so.  I can order the swingbox before too long.  I've never mounted a mirror, but I can learn these things.  Or, more likely, I can hire someone to mount it for me.  I should also try to figure out just how big I want it to be.

Any suggestions for points 1 & 3?

Thanks for your help on this !

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• Administrator
23 hours ago, Shindig said:

I think so.  I can order the swingbox before too long.  I've never mounted a mirror, but I can learn these things.  Or, more likely, I can hire someone to mount it for me.  I should also try to figure out just how big I want it to be.

Any suggestions for points 1 & 3?

Mats, http://www.truestrike.com are the best. Hanging a mirror is pretty easy. And… putting mats, I like anything by SynLawn, but even a strip of carpet that's a decent stimp could work.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

12 hours ago, iacas said:

Mats, http://www.truestrike.com are the best. Hanging a mirror is pretty easy. And… putting mats, I like anything by SynLawn, but even a strip of carpet that's a decent stimp could work.

Awesome, thank you!  That makes the purchase decision much easier for me. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, so, a lot of planning and a lot of delay... but over the past two weeks, I have actually used the room but not been able to take a full swing (I have done slow motion downswings but stopped at or near the ball).  

Now I'm ready to order the mat and the Single System looks like the one I'm going to want.  But it's out of stock.  So is the Impact Model.  So I'll be waiting.

Any advice on which one to get, should they both be back in stock at the same time?  It looks like the Impact System is one more module, but it isn't clear to me what that extra module is for.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, Shindig said:

Now I'm ready to order the mat and the Single System looks like the one I'm going to want.  But it's out of stock.  So is the Impact Model.  So I'll be waiting.

Any advice on which one to get, should they both be back in stock at the same time?  It looks like the Impact System is one more module, but it isn't clear to me what that extra module is for.  

These two?

Screen%20Shot%202017-06-29%20at%206.51.1

Obviously… the Single System is $120 more, but it includes a whole other section (which you can use for longer clubs, like your 3W) AND a ball tray. For $120.

The sections are otherwise the same. So it's a matter of whether you want to spend $120 to get the ball tray and the extra section.Screen%20Shot%202017-06-29%20at%206.51.1

I would. It'd cost quite a bit more to add that later.

If it saves shipping, buy one more cover for the gel section, too. It'll take a long time to wear it out, but having an extra will be nice.

• Upvote 1

Yep, those two.  I think I'll spend the difference.  Thanks!

-- Michael | My swing! 

• 2 weeks later...

Quick ping for anyone following this thread:  I just ordered the mat.  They're backordered, but alerted me that they're having a presale for an incoming shipment, and until July 15 they're on discount (but they won't ship until August 15).   I just paid less than $700 for the single model.  Very excited for so many reasons. 

• Upvote 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

First of all, allow me to congratulate you on the efforts you have made in perfecting your home setup. The True Strike Mat appears to be of the highest quality from what I have read and if one can afford the price, should be a very worth while investment. Your dedication to a practice regimine justifies your purchase in my opinion. If it were me, and I had the indoor space, I would probably go with a less expensive mat but put the extra cost into a simulator such as opti shot.

As one who has experimented with all sorts of mats, I have some first hand knowledge of how each performs. basically, you get what you pay for.

For me personally, the best bang for the buck has been the All Turf Monster mat. It simulates real turf conditions fairly well. I believe I paid around $100.

A step up would be the Country Club Elite "real feel" mats, I would imagine nearly as good as the true strike, but considerably lower in price at around $300. I do have a small hitting pad which works for me, but is only about 1ft x 2 ft, the cost of which was probably around $40 or so.

All of the above will accept a real tee, but with the caveat, the tee will fly away. Some mats, more than others.

additional note: for the people who really do not wish to spend a lot, the driving mat from Home Depot Online, retails at around $22 and is every bit as good as the All Turf. It is small, but adequate (30 inches I believe).

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

• Administrator
29 minutes ago, Hacker James said:

A step up would be the Country Club Elite "real feel" mats, I would imagine nearly as good as the true strike, but considerably lower in price at around $300.

They're not close IMO. The True Strike mats have a gel section that you hit off of that works much better than the other "solid fill" mats I've seen.

Well, I said the Real Feel were "Nearly" as good and also IMO.  I do not doubt that True Strike is a superior product if one has the discretionary income to indulge oneself.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, Hacker James said:

Well, I said the Real Feel were "Nearly" as good and also IMO.  I do not doubt that True Strike is a superior product if one has the discretionary income to indulge oneself.

I know.

I also know you "imagined" it, as you've not used the True Strike.

• 4 months later...
  • Administrator
8 minutes ago, Shindig said:

I want to say thank you for such an in-depth review.   I haven't read it yet admittedly.  I need to purchase and then set up a swingbox, but a tracker like this is the next goodie for that room after having something to hit into, and I really appreciate having such a writeup from someone I trust. 

The room might be little tight. If you buy a Mevo, just have a backup plan to perhaps re-sell it to someone for a $10 loss or something (though if you buy through me, you might not even take a loss…).

56 minutes ago, iacas said:

The room might be little tight. If you buy a Mevo, just have a backup plan to perhaps re-sell it to someone for a $10 loss or something (though if you buy through me, you might not even take a loss…).

Thanks for that heads-up.  As it is, I'm measuring to find out if the iSwingBox will fit first -- it isn't clear to me from their site how big it is and how much space I need.  I want to make sure I can swing with it in the room.

(Maybe I should move this response to my thread about that room, as I'm getting us off-topic a bit)

-- Michael | My swing! 

8 minutes ago, Shindig said:

(Maybe I should move this response to my thread about that room, as I'm getting us off-topic a bit)

Thanks for the move, Erik.

And I fail at reading comprehension.  The iSwingBox site even tells me once I found it: 
"Dimensions: Width – 47 inches. Height – 51 inches. Depth 6 inches. Net weight – 59 lbs. "

Yeah, that's going to fit.   Time to buy :-) 

-- Michael | My swing! 

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Shindig said:

Thanks for the move, Erik.

And I fail at reading comprehension.  The iSwingBox site even tells me once I found it: 
"Dimensions: Width – 47 inches. Height – 51 inches. Depth 6 inches. Net weight – 59 lbs. "

Yup.

And if the box is that small, I don't know how much "flight" you're going to get out of a ball, and if the Mevo would work there at all. With a  box that small you have to be close enough to not miss it, EVER, and that's not much flight at all.

Note: This thread is 2150 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!