IGNORED

Practicing with blades

Note: This thread is 5963 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've now had six lessons with an instructor who has really helped with my swing fundamentals -- I was a hopeless over the topper and every thing is getting more on plane and with a smoother tempo. I've lost a few yards with my mid irons but the ball is straight versus a strong pull. I've noticed that my clubs (fitted Callaway X18s) are pretty forgiving. I can tell the obvious mishits -- thin, fat, hosel, etc. but it is more difficult to distinguish slightly on toe or heel versus sweetspot. This is great during a round but I was wondering if I should add a blade 5i for practice sake to get more accurate feedback on my swing.

Has anyone done this, who plays with game improvement clubs, and did it help?

My Bag:

Driver: Srixon ZR-W 9.5* Graffaloy Epic 68(R)
Fairway: Wishon 949MC 16.5*
Hybrid(s): Cobra Baffler DWS 20*Irons: 6-PW Mizuno MP-52. 5i Mizuno MX-23Wedges: Cleveland CG12 DSG 56/10Putter: Rife 2-Bar Hybrid

I've now had six lessons with an instructor who has really helped with my swing fundamentals -- I was a hopeless over the topper and every thing is getting more on plane and with a smoother tempo. I've lost a few yards with my mid irons but the ball is straight versus a strong pull. I've noticed that my clubs (fitted Callaway X18s) are pretty forgiving. I can tell the obvious mishits -- thin, fat, hosel, etc. but it is more difficult to distinguish slightly on toe or heel versus sweetspot. This is great during a round but I was wondering if I should add a blade 5i for practice sake to get more accurate feedback on my swing.

Back in the early 90s I was in the PGA apprentice program. I found a blade iron somewhere in the bag room and did exactly what you are asking about. The club had the sweet spot of a dime with no forgiveness. Needless to say, I became a much better ball striker with my regular set.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Rad Tour 16* | Tour Edge 19* | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Odyssey 2 Ball Blade | Vice Pro Plus  

I do this pretty regularly. I have an old set of Tommy Armour 709s that I take to the range. I'll even play a local par 3 course with them sometimes. They really force me to focus and pay attention to fundamentals. I've occasionally hit really good shots with them, and they feel amazing when that happens.

Of course, when I miss a shot, which happens more often then not, they hand me my ass. :)

Titleist 907D1 10.5°
Titleist 906F4 15.5°
Titleist 906F4 18.5°
Wilson Staff Pi5 3-P
Titleist Vokey 56.14Cleveland CG12 60°Scotty Cameron Newport Two

I dunno... Call me funny... But I believe in practicing with the clubs you are gonna play with (same goes for golf balls and short game practicing). Makes no sense to me to groove a swing with your Sam Sneed Blue Ridges, and then try to play with your Pings. Two different kinds of clubs, especially in the weight and hosel offset departments. Plus you may have to re-grip your practice blade more than your playing sticks. What ever floats your boat I guess... I dunno... Call me funny...

I dunno... Call me funny... But I believe in practicing with the clubs you are gonna play with (same goes for golf balls and short game practicing). Makes no sense to me to groove a swing with your Sam Sneed Blue Ridges, and then try to play with your Pings. Two different kinds of clubs, especially in the weight and hosel offset departments. Plus you may have to re-grip your practice blade more than your playing sticks. What ever floats your boat I guess... I dunno... Call me funny...

I pretty much agree... practicing with a club that has a different offset, a different swing weight, etc. seems like it could hurt more than help. If you want to make sure you are contacting the sweet spot regularly, use some impact tape.

But, practicing with the same balls can be hard... obviously on the range you have to make do with whatever they use. As shag balls, I have a little bit of everything, but most are at least similar (i.e. I don't keep lady's balls, super low compression balls, or Pro v1's... since I don't play with such).
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

I guess I did say "and" for "golf balls and short game practice". I meant, golf balls FOR short game practice. Obviously, you can't take your favorite brand of balls to the range and hit them, cause you can't get them back

For chipping, pitching, and putting practice, I ALWAYS use the kind of balls I play on the course. Kinda makes sense when you think about it. I always laugh at guys who use range balls to practice there pitching and chipping. Unless you play your regular rounds with "range" balls, you will NEVER get any feel on the course with your "regular" brand of ball.

TommyD69... yeah, on a second read it is pretty clear you meant short game... I just read it quickly. I agree too, I just need to buy a dozen or two just for practice... and also decide on WHICH ball I'm going to play.

I go back and forth between whether or not I'm OK with spending $25 a dozen, and I'm leaning towards not being OK with it right now... which is why I'm playing Maxfli Fires... they are on sale for 12.99 or 2 for 25 almost everywhere and they have pretty decent feel. Cheapest 3-piece around, but I DO like the NXT tour.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

Have you guys ever tried hitting a blade for practice? Obviously you aren't going to hit it exclusively or every time you practice. A blade can give you more feedback through feel and ultimately that is what you have to play with on the course. It is not quite the same as taping up your Big Bubbas and looking at the tape to see if you hit the spot, with a blade you don't have to look...you feel it at impact.

Good point about the balls, especially around the greens. I have a shag bag of quality balls that I pitch and chip with.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Rad Tour 16* | Tour Edge 19* | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Odyssey 2 Ball Blade | Vice Pro Plus  

Have you guys ever tried hitting a blade for practice? Obviously you aren't going to hit it exclusively or every time you practice. A blade can give you more feedback through feel and ultimately that is what you have to play with on the course. It is not quite the same as taping up your Big Bubbas and looking at the tape to see if you hit the spot, with a blade you don't have to look...you feel it at impact.

Actually I have tried practicing with blades, sort of, I hit a friend of mines at the range quite a few times.

Also, my irons aren't exactly big shovels, I can feel the difference in a toe hit, a slightly thin hit, etc. My clubs give some decent feedback. But, you are CORRECT... hitting a big ole game improvement iron with tape doesn't FEEL the same as hitting a forged blade pure. But for most golfers... they aren't good enough to worry about it, just being able hit the club near the sweet spot is what's important, and impact tape will tell you if you are doing this. And, chances are a better player is already practicing with a club that gives them some amount of feedback. I don't know... it just doesn't seem worth while to practice with a different club, even if it is only on occaision... But that's just my 2 cents.

But for most golfers... they aren't good enough to worry about it, just being able hit the club near the sweet spot is what's important, and impact tape will tell you if you are doing this. And, chances are a better player is already practicing with a club that gives them some amount of feedback.

Good point...

Good idea but make sure its weighted the same as your clubs.

Monster Tour 10.5* w/ Redboard 63
FP400f 14.5* w/ GD YSQ
Idea Pro 18* w/ VS Proto 80s
MP FLi-Hi 21 w/ S300
CG1 BP w/ PX 6.0 SM 54.11 SM 60.08 Sophia 33"

I agree completely. No way would I practice with one club only to play with another.

I recommend buying a used set of mp 33 for $100 - $200 on ebay and you might switch them for your x18s, they are easier to hit that everyone thinks.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

TommyD69... yeah, on a second read it is pretty clear you meant short game... I just read it quickly. I agree too, I just need to buy a dozen or two just for practice... and also decide on WHICH ball I'm going to play.

Just save all your old scuffs and throw them in a shag bag.

In the bag:
Driver-Cleveland HiBore XLS Tour 10.5s
Hybrids-Adams Pro Gold
Irons-Srixon I-701Tour PX6.0
Wedges-Srixon WG 50*/56*Putter-Rife BarbadosBalls-Bridgestone B330S

I once bought a REALLY beat up set of Hogan Director blades (circa 1980) for this very purpose. I had been hitting Tommy Armour 845 cavity backs. I was really surprised to find that the difference between off-center hit performance between the two clubs was not all that big.

I ended up playing Hogan blades for 3-4 years. I actually wore them out and am now playing a set of "player's cavity backs". Modern, super-game improvement irons do have a detectable improvement in off-center hit performance. OTOH, I just don't like how they feel and they seem to degrade the quality of my ballstriking. For whatever reason my swing seems to prefer (or has learned to prefer) irons where the center of gravity is closer to the actual point of impact.

dave

In The Bag:
- Wishon 949MC 10.5* Driver
- Wishon 525 F/D 3W
- Wishon 515 949MC 5W
- Wishon 60* Cx Micro LW- Wishon 550M SW (55*)- Wishon 550M GW bent to 50* - Wishon 550C 6i - 9i (9i bent to 45*)- Wishon 321Li 3i/4i/5i hybrids- Odyssey Two Ball Putter

I find that when I was playing cast/cavity back irons that when I used my dad's Hogan blades that after feeling what a bad shot was on a forged 2-iron I always focused in and consistantly hit them on the sweet spot every time, and broke par for 9 holes in a gambling match using them.

I just think that it gives instant feedback and puts much more importance on perfect mechanics than forgiveness like most modern day clubs now,
In My Bag:
Driver: r580XD R flex
3 Wood: Mac Burrows 13*
Irons: Apex 2 iron
Irons: Edge 3-E ('89-92)Wedge: rac TP Satin 56*12Wedge: rac TP Black 60*06Putter: CER Milled CP03 (GolfWorks custom head)Ball: Pro V1 or any other found premimum ball

Note: This thread is 5963 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!