IGNORED

TST/Grint users unite

lastings
Note: This thread is 1799 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

TST members, 

if you are a member here and you also use the Grint, feel free to add me as a friend.  

Chad Miller - Excelsior, MN
username: Milledge

would love to follow along with your rounds..   especially those that track your stats on there.   would be enjoyable to see how I compare to golfers of different abilities in those areas.  

• Upvote 1

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

@dennyjones - Kind of rules question, but also a common practice and Grint question regarding casual play...

I entered a 45 yesterday that included a 5 on hole 12 that was played outside the rules of golf. The par 4 had a handicap of 14 and my course HC for nine is 7. That's where I came up with par +1 for the score.

(For the record, I hate doing this because it doesn't make any sense. It just feels like I'm either not understanding the steps, or I'm cheating, or at the very least vanity capping. I should have gone back to the tee and played the hole correctly, but I think this is what folks do to maintain place of play and keep an accurate HC.)

For stroke play, I wrote a 9 on my scorecard because I'd hit my first tee shot right and then hit a provisional that looked to be in play. My partner and I found the 2nd tee shot but it was just beyond the out of bounds marker. I decided to play it Instead of going back to the tee and added another two strokes meaning I was laying 5 at that point. 

On casual rounds, do you ever play a hole outside the rules of golf for the purpose of pace of play and then follow this procedure? If so, how do you enter that into Grint? I believe you use your phone so I'm not sure how that works. The Grint also has a feature that allows you to submit a photo of your scorecard.

Screen Shot 2017-09-24 at 7.26.05 AM copy.png

Jon

• Administrator

I think that's a case where you take your ESC. You would have been hitting five from the tee, so to mark down 5 makes no sense.

Again, it's not that you didn't play the hole under the rules… it's that the best score you could have gotten from there would be a 6, and that's certainly not the most likely score you would have achieved. Even if you "birdie" with that last ball, you're getting a 7, which is probably your ESC anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

56 minutes ago, iacas said:

I think that's a case where you take your ESC. You would have been hitting five from the tee, so to mark down 5 makes no sense.

I agree. It doesn't come close to reflecting a probable score. I posted that score because I thought once a rule was broken, you disregard all the strokes. I'm glad to see that's incorrect. The round for HC purposes will be modified and changed to ESC (8).

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Again, it's not that you didn't play the hole under the rules… it's that the best score you could have gotten from there would be a 6, and that's certainly not the most likely score you would have achieved. Even if you "birdie" with that last ball, you're getting a 7, which is probably your ESC anyway.

I think I understand. It's at the point in the scoring when a rule was broken. At THAT point, I put the probable score in. Correct?

I'm embarrassed that I can't easily grasp this and hate to keep asking about it. I understand the general concept of eliminating sandbagging, but posting an unrealistically low score just seemed crazy.

It's just easier to go back to the original spot or continue to hit provisionals until there's virtual certainty the ball is in play (this was an unfamiliar course however).

This post is from the other thread and I think it applies:

Jon

47 minutes ago, JonMA1 said:

I agree. It doesn't come close to reflecting a probable score. I posted that score because I thought once a rule was broken, you disregard all the strokes. I'm glad to see that's incorrect. The round for HC purposes will be modified and changed to ESC (8).

I think I understand. It's at the point in the scoring when a rule was broken. At THAT point, I put the probable score in. Correct?

Probable score is okay to put down, and I agree that 8 makes sense but only if you'd realistically shoot that from wherever you started breaking the rules. If you randomly start putting down 8s and 9s on par 4s as a 22HC, I'm sure someone from your HC committee will be knocking on your door. :-D

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

@JonMA1,

After reading the other 5 pages of the discussion regarding rules like your situation, I'd do what Erik suggested.   The first one was OB,penalty, back to tee, the second one was found to be OB, penalty.   I'd drop at that point and play out.   Your ESC for that hole was a 7.   Take the 7 and run.   Most courses are crowded enough that going back to the tee after finding your second OB isn't practical.   Obviously, if this was a tournament it would be different but we're talking a handicap round.  

• Thumbs Up 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

• 1 year later...

Bump. I just started playing again after about 7 years. This time, I am actually playing and not just out for the social aspect. I've played 4 times (All solo) in the last 5 weeks. I've never played more than 5 times in a year before. I've also discovered The Grint however I guess I need to have my scores "attested" to have a handicap? Not sure how it works. I pretty much suck. I've been playing my local par 3/9 hole course and have scored 41, 37 & 36. Today I shot a 91 on my local 67 par course. I'm hoping to go and play Monday in Tampa so I have really caught the bug.

My question is if I don't play with friends- or ones without The Grint, how can I have someone "attest" my round?

Edited by Ballgame59

Golf is good. The Grint User name = Ballgame59

:ping: Karsen Zing Orange dot 4-W,  :mizuno:  JPX 900 D,3W,4&5H,  :titleist: Vokey SM4 56,  Ray Cook M1 Mallet, :bridgestone: e12

:adidas:  Tech Response. Any glove'll do.

31 minutes ago, Ballgame59 said:

I guess I need to have my scores "attested" to have a handicap? Not sure how it works.

All rounds played individually are practice rounds and using Thegrint, you can select that as an option.   Attested means that somebody (on thegrint) can attest (confirm) your scores.   My regular foursome partners don't belong so none of my scores are attested but I count them as handicap scores when we play because they are not rounds played alone.    

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

11 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

All rounds played individually are practice rounds and using Thegrint, you can select that as an option.   Attested means that somebody (on thegrint) can attest (confirm) your scores.   My regular foursome partners don't belong so none of my scores are attested but I count them as handicap scores when we play because they are not rounds played alone.    

Thanks for the explanation. I wasn't sure how important having a round attested was. I guess it really doesn't matter. 

Golf is good. The Grint User name = Ballgame59

:ping: Karsen Zing Orange dot 4-W,  :mizuno:  JPX 900 D,3W,4&5H,  :titleist: Vokey SM4 56,  Ray Cook M1 Mallet, :bridgestone: e12

:adidas:  Tech Response. Any glove'll do.

Note: This thread is 1799 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!