IGNORED

which iron will u recommend for beginner?

Note: This thread is 4675 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Which iron will you recommend?

• Ping - G10
    • Mizuno - Mx 25
    • Nickent - 3DX Hybrid
    • Taylor Made - 2007 R7 iron
    • Muraman - Exim Nano
    • Others - Please post the model. thanks.

i am using steel R flex now but i feel the club was quite heavy and the swing slow. if i swing fast, the angle all gone.

the shaft that iam using is around 130g, iam looking at 80-90 g shaft.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i would recommand ping. because of the forgiveness and their soft feel. their shafts are also lightweight as what you are looking for.

you can also check out nickent 3dx dc combo instead of the hybrid
the lofts on the hybrid are just too strong. i don't like that at all.
don't think you would want to play them when you are at low handicap

i think mx25 comes with TT dynamic gold r300. if you can get nippon shaft ns pro 850 or 950, they are pretty light weight as well. but might cost more $$

adams a2/a3.

i wouldn't spend money on expensive japanese yet.
i'd make them my last set.

basically, any of the clubs on the market, you can find people who love them.
it's all down to cost and personal preference.

i just recently bought x20 tour. if i can start over again, i'd look for ping eye2, tm rac, cleveland ta, ping g2/g5/i5. these are also great clubs at a much much lower price. save lots of money for hybrids, driver, wedges, putter.

Launcher 460 10.5° <BB Solution 130 R>
Wishon 949MC 16.5° <SK Fiber Tour Trac 80 R>
3DX DC Ironwood 20°, 23° <UST SR2 R>
MX-23 5-PW <KBS Tour R>
Vokey 250.08, SM54.10, SM58.08 <DG Wedge> Callie 33.75"TLT Series 4MOI matched

i try the G10 today, too good to be true, the feeling was great. but i think i need to get a graphite shaft for it as i still feel heavy on the swing. what you guys think? too bad they don't have a demo graphite club to test.

Anything made by Wilson or Dunlop at a sporting goods store.
$200 tops for the clubs and a bag.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

I voted for a ping, just because it is a more forgiving club, if you are looking for a solid player's club you can try the mizunos or some titleists, but if you are just recreationally playing the g10's are perfect.
What's In The Bag?

Driver - Rapture 10.5 Epic 68g X-Pure - Balance Certified
Fairway Metal - Titleist PT 18°
Irons - Mizuno MP-67 3-PW Project X 6.0 Wedges - Mizunos R Series Chrome 52°, 56°, 58° Project X 6.0 Putter - Yes! C-Groove Callie-f - Balance Certified Bag - Ping Freestyle...

I believe the TaylorMade R7s are available with a 90g steel shaft, as well as the Mizuno MX-25s, but at additional cost.
Driver: TaylorMade Super Tri 10.5°
3-Wood: TaylorMadeR580, 15°
Hybrid: TaylorMade Rescue Mid, 19°
Irons: TaylorMade R7 4-PW
Wedges: Titleist Spin-Milled Vokey Oil Can 56.14, 52.08Putter: Ping Karsten AnserBall: Bridgestone e5+

I think any ping irons would be good for you. If i wasn't left handed i would of bought ping Eye 2's but were hard to find for a reasonable price. I use Tommy Armour Sliver Scots and they are pretty good but i think you should go for the g10's
In the Bag:

Driver 10.5 r7 460 ti Reax regular shaft
3 Wood 15.5 LD F Speed Aldila NV stiff shaft
Hybrids 19 Tour Burner Rescue Reax stiff shaft. 21 degree torch series saber shaftIrons Sliver Scot 4-pw Rifle 5.0 shaftsSand Wedge 56 Degree Cg10 Black pearl finish 2 dotLob Wedge 60...

I would recommend 20 year old golden bear blades. If you can learn to hit those than you can hit anything. Im joking of course but I played these the first 100 rounds or so and it made playing decent clubs a lot easier once I broke down or rather the clubs broke down and I bought new nike bladed irons.

I agree with Mike.

Go for a great 2nd hand OS set.

Pings and Callaways are proven as the front runners in Golf Improvement irons.
Driver: Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 10.5* (UST Proforce v2 77g X Flex) 3 Wood: Callaway Diablo 15* (UST Proforce v2 86g S Flex). 2 Hybrid: Adams A4 Tech 17* (UST Proforce v2 105g S Flex). 3 and 4 Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 20* and 23* (UST Proforce v2 105g S Flex)
Irons: Tour Edge Exotics...

I think that Callaway are a good choice for beginnners, they are really forgiving and will help you improve your game! They are good enough as well until you get down to a single figure handicap! But there are a lot of possibilities out there - it is all down to personal preference!

In my bag:

R7 Quad Driver
3 wood
RAC MB Irons 3 - PW Vokey 52 and 6056 Wedge Fatshaft PutterGolf Bag Pro V1 Ball

Newbie here ....and I see that you are in Singapore, so this might not be possible for you...but, the local golf galaxy store had the Ping G5 and I5 irons for $599 to make way for the new G10 / I10 sets. Might be a more cost effective approach to a set of pings. By the way, the I5's show up on sale at their webiste, but the G5's don't. You could always check to see if you could get the store pricing???

In case you couldn't tell, I think the Pings are a good choice.

Any solid, good name brand "game improvement" club would probably be fine. I do suggest that instead of spending too much $ on your first set of irons you spend a little extra cash to get fitted by a pro. Having the correct length, lie, grip size, shaft flex, etc. may be more important than the actual club brand. When you are getting fit, hit all the brands you are considering and see which one feels better, looks better, etc.

In the : Nike SQ Tour Bag

Driver: Speed Pro S Stiff 9.5*
3 Wood: Speed Pro X/ST Stiff 15*
Hybrid: Walter Hagen 21* Aldila NV Hybrid 85-S Shaft Irons: RAC LT2 4-Sand StiffWedge: Z TP 60* Putter: Rossa Lambeau Ball: TP Red Grips: Golf Pride Dual Durometer

Newbie here ....and I see that you are in Singapore, so this might not be possible for you...but, the local golf galaxy store had the Ping G5 and I5 irons for $599 to make way for the new G10 / I10 sets. Might be a more cost effective approach to a set of pings. By the way, the I5's show up on sale at their webiste, but the G5's don't. You could always check to see if you could get the store pricing???

agree with you, ping will be a great choice, anyway, i can get it ship over through friend in USA. not a problem at all, i will check it out on the website.

the club in Singapore are 20% more in USA. no matter how i count, it worth to get over in your country. unless the price difference is less than 200.

• 2 months later...
Why not invest in second hand clubs or something less expensive to start with. For me, spending $800 on G10s is a little bit too much for a game you are just starting at. As someone said before, you might leave it tomorrow...

i'am getting a Mizuno mx-23 or mx-25 from ebay now. will see how it goes. hopefully able to suit the way i play. maybe budget ard 300usd or less.

anyone selling a left hand set, let me know. haha..

• 2 weeks later...
For a beginner, I wouldn't go for the pricey stuff. The person could decide they hate the game the first day.

Exactly. I bought my Golden Bear's 15pc set for $139.99. I figured if I lost interest it wouldn't be a big hit to my pocketbook.

4 Months later I just order a set of Cobra FP's and will slowly work on replacing the other pieces of my starter set.

mizuno mx-25 you may struggle a tiny bit at first with them but you will appreciate them not being super game improvement clubs later

in my x72 stand bag
g10 driver 10.5
g10 3-wood 15.5
g10 3 iron hybrid
cg gold with actionlite flighted vokey spin milled oil can 56 t35 60 degree anser 2 putterz urs

Note: This thread is 4675 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!