IGNORED

Computer data transfer

Hacker James
Note: This thread is 2446 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am considering a purchase of a lap top. I want to be able to transfer files to the laptop. I am guessing the easiest way would be to save them in a thumb drive, but I do not know for sure if I also have to transfer the basic execute program for example Openoffice.exe  I no longer have the ability to use MS Office as I lost the Q Drive awhile back during a crash which is why I reconstructed my files to the Apache system. (actually, it works every bit as well and is a free program). The new laptops generally come with Office 365 loaded, but you need to activate which I will more than likely decline. I will also have to make sure that Mcafee will cover the new computer should I get one.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

For a one-time (or once in a while) large volume transfer, I use an external hard drive.  But for ongoing transfers (which I do all the time) I use online services like Dropbox or Google Drive: works in the background and I can get to the stuff anywhere, laptop, iPad, iPhone, my android tablet, desktop at work.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

3 minutes ago, Missouri Swede said:

For a one-time (or once in a while) large volume transfer, I use an external hard drive.  But for ongoing transfers (which I do all the time) I use online services like Dropbox or Google Drive: works in the background and I can get to the stuff anywhere, laptop, iPad, iPhone, my android tablet, desktop at work.

I have files on One Drive, but I have difficulty in getting files to automatically sync (I still have Windows 7.1). I have one spread sheet that syncs automatically, but I forget exactly how I got it to do that. My understanding that with WIN10 it is much easier and it is taken care of for you.  One problem with One Drive is that often times spreadsheets are saved in some kind of Office On-line format which lack many features of the dedicated MS Office. I am not familiar with external hard drive works, I am guessing that you transfer from your desktop to the external, and then to the laptop using some sort of USB connection. The files I currently would save will fit into a 16GB thumb drive including a bunch of photo images I have on CD/DVD. 

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

10 minutes ago, Hacker James said:

I have files on One Drive, but I have difficulty in getting files to automatically sync (I still have Windows 7.1). I have one spread sheet that syncs automatically, but I forget exactly how I got it to do that. My understanding that with WIN10 it is much easier and it is taken care of for you.  One problem with One Drive is that often times spreadsheets are saved in some kind of Office On-line format which lack many features of the dedicated MS Office.

I have One Drive but hardly ever use it, so not sure I can help with that part of it, or with the Office format issues.  I do know that with Dropbox and Google Drive if the files are within the DB or GD folder (or in a sub folder in that) they will sync if you've got the same folder(s) set up on the other computer and the internet connection is on. 

Don't have to have it set to sync, though. I only access some files at a work desktop once a month or so. So on that computer I just log on to Google Drive as needed and download the file I need.  

19 minutes ago, Hacker James said:

I am not familiar with external hard drive works, I am guessing that you transfer from your desktop to the external, and then to the laptop using some sort of USB connection. The files I currently would save will fit into a 16GB thumb drive including a bunch of photo images I have on CD/DVD. 

Yeah external drive works the same way.  Thumb drive works if data volume is small enough like you describe. 

I just brought up the online method as alternative to consider.  (Watch your data limits if you're doing a large volume transfer online, too.)

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

good to know - thanx

"James"

figgered out my One Drive Syncing problem. Amazing what you can learn if you simply right click something (fetching, folders, e.t.c.).

"James"

On 8/13/2017 at 3:52 PM, Missouri Swede said:

Thumb drive works if data volume is small enough like you describe. 

There are 2 terabyte usb flash drives now, although prohibitively expensive, you can get half a terabyte (~512 gigabytes) usb flash drive, for $250. 128 for well under 100.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

We switch out our laptops every 2 - 3 years, and have always thought the external hard drive that plugs into a USB port is the easiest way to move the documents.  As others have stated it basically acts like a giant thumb drive.  

I just open my documents folder copy everything, and click on external hard drive and paste. Unplug hard drive from old computer, plug it into new computer and reverse the process -- copy docs on hard drive and then paste where you want docs on new computer

I usually reinstall the programs that I want like Photoshop, Open Office, Office, etc.  Even if your new system doesn't have a cd drive (many don't these days) you should be able to download the programs from the web.

Edited by scotth

In my bag: All Lefty clubs
Goldsmith driver I built 10 degree reg flex, Orlimar 14 degree 3 wood, 7 wood
Cobra Oversize 3 and 4 iron; Gigagolf Ion Control 5 iron through PW firm flex and 1 inch over with 3 degrees upright
Golfsmith SW that I built, steel shaft reg flex, Cleveland Tour Action Raw 60 with dynamic golf stiff
Scotty Cameron Teryllium Newport putter

1 minute ago, scotth said:

We switch out our laptops every 2 -3 years, and have always thought the external hard drive that plugs into a USB port is the easiest way to move the documents.  As others have stated it basically acts like a giant thumb drive.  

I just open my documents folder copy everything, and click on external hard drive and paste. Unplug hard drive from old computer, plug it into new computer and reverse the process -- copy hard drive and then paste where you want docs on new computer

I usually reinstall the programs that I want like Photoshop, Open Office, Office, etc.  Even if your new system doesn't have a cd drive (many don't these days) you should be able to download the programs from the web.

That was also a concern. Actually, I am in good shape now that I got my one drive sync fixed. Also I do not have a lot of files, so the ones I would want to keep do in fact fit in my 16mb flash drive. They are also in the cloud (One Drive) and data changed on desktop or from online One Drive, will appear on both.  Although I have read and have been somewhat reassured, I am a little cautious about the privacy and security of files stored on the cloud.  I guess one just has to trust it. 

"James"

Note: This thread is 2446 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!