5 posts / 722 viewsLast Reply

I am having 2 major issues as of late that are taking my motivation and passion away from the game.

1. Referring to the following image - Golf Driver  I keep hitting the ball with the top left black corner of the club, and my ball sails very high into the air and goes way to the right where its usually unplayable.

2. When I use any iron on the fairway or rough, the ball NEVER lifts for more than a few seconds. It will pretty much skim across the ground and go anywhere from 20-50 yards. I can very rarely get anything besides the wedge to get any lift.

If anyone has absolutely any advice or tips it would be very appreciated.

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

11 hours ago, johnclark12 said:

I am having 2 major issues as of late that are taking my motivation and passion away from the game.

1. Referring to the following image - Golf Driver  I keep hitting the ball with the top left black corner of the club, and my ball sails very high into the air and goes way to the right where its usually unplayable.

2. When I use any iron on the fairway or rough, the ball NEVER lifts for more than a few seconds. It will pretty much skim across the ground and go anywhere from 20-50 yards. I can very rarely get anything besides the wedge to get any lift.

If anyone has absolutely any advice or tips it would be very appreciated.

@mvmac has the optimal idea here. But just from your post I suspect you are hitting a cold, dead shank with your irons. This means you are actually hitting the neck of the hosel dead on which will make the ball sputter ahead and not veer of alarmingly to the right (assuming you're right handed.) For now, until you make a swing thread, do the old drill of placing an object (2X4, head cover, shoe box) just on the other side of your ball at address to where if you hit the hosel your club will strike the object. Hit a few balls and focus on not hitting the object.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• 2018 TST Partners

PING Golf
    FlightScope Mevo
    More to come…
    • I've mentioned before how I haven't taken many lessons and I don't have a coach which is true, but that doesn't mean that I haven't read a lot about golf and philosophies regarding teaching. Here's a list of some of the books I've read.   The Search For The Perfect Swing This is an interesting book, it's pretty technical and scientific so a lot of it is tough to apply to your own game. The most interesting part of this book was the tests they did on compression, grooves, putting and stances of pro players compared to amateurs. This is what sparked my idea that to play good golf, you need to be in a very consistent starting position. (stance). How can you expect consistency if you aren't addressing the ball the same every time? Ben Hogan 5 Lessons The "bible" for golf instruction. I used to live and die by this book when I was younger but now not so much. It's meh. Too technical. The best part of this book was the plane of glass theory, certainly something I use regularly in my practice and swing. Ben Hogan Power Golf The "little known" Ben Hogan book which was written before his 5 lessons. I think this book is more valuable, it talks about how to play under different conditions and it goes into detail about how Hogan played short irons and long irons. That was the most interesting part of the book, I learned that short irons should be played differently than long irons. I also learned that having a slightly open stance for short irons helps with control. Jack Nicklaus Golf My Way I like this book a lot, I love the parts that talk about the mental game and how to think your way around the course. I also like the parts that Jack talks about how he was taught golf. Jack Nicklaus The Greatest Game Of All Time This is MUCH better than Golf My Way, this book talks more about Jacks careers and how he moved up the ranks. The stories are great and give you an insight into what it takes to play pro golf. My favourite part was the beginning Chapters where Jack talks about how he learned golf, how Jack Grout taught him and his approach to tournaments. This is a must have book. George Knudson The Natural Swing Meh. I loved this book when I was younger but I never really got better from reading it and applying the principles. Knudson is probably one of my favourite players but his book never really clicked with me. Harvey Pennick Little Red Book A decent book, the anecdotes are great and he has some great bite-sized advice to playing better golf. I like how simple Harvey made golf. I remember one part of the book that talks about how the motion you make when you use a trimmer to cut grass is the same one you make in golf "chop the heads off the dandelions." Byron Nelson Black Book A good book, even though its relatively short. It's basically a bunch of journal entries and stats that Byron kept of his game. The little bits of wisdom are nice too. My favourite part though was where Byron wrote down that he shot an 84 at a tournament, it made me feel less bad when I shot a high 80 in mine. Byron Nelson Winning Golf This book is kind of like Jacks Golf My Way but it's shorter. Byron has some interesting advice in this book but none of it really stuck with me, his main bit of advice was to use the legs. Butch Harmon The Pro: Lessons About Golf and Life from My Father, Claude Harmon, Sr. I loved this book. Claude Harmon was one of the few men that Hogan took advice from. This book made me realize that I need a coach and that I need to make the game simpler, not harder. Other parts of the book I enjoyed was where Butch was talking about what it was like to be the swing coach for Tiger and Butch talks about just how much willpower Tiger had. Tiger essentially changed his swing around the peak of his dominance because he wanted it to be better. It was a big commitment and ultimately it payed off, even though at first Woods struggled. I enjoyed learning about how Tiger practiced and the focus he had. He wouldn't leave until the shot was perfect, Butch said. This is an attitude I adopted to my own practice, I won't stop working on something until I perfect it. Jack Grout  Not so much a golf instruction book, it reads more like a novel but it's very interesting because it talks about Jacks relationship with Nicklaus and how he coached him. This book made realize what type of relationship I should look for with a coach. Another thing I learned was how to practice and make practice time worth it. Education Of A Golfer This is my favourite book I have ever read on golf. Sam Snead's philosophy regarding golf and how he used "feel" to teach him how to play really stuck with me. He also said had he have gotten all tangled up in mechanics and theory he wouldn't have been able to play a lick. This is probably the only golf book that really made a difference with my game. There's not a single part of it that I didn't learn from. I love Knudson, Hogan, Woods but Snead is the guy I resonate the most with.  Oh really? I thought shooting par basically means I'm pro...right? What if I shoot par on a 9100 yard course? That should be good enough right?
    • Gary Player 3 Masters, 1 U.S. Open, and 2 PGAs Tony Jacklin 1970 U.S. Open Tommy Armour 1927 U.S. Open?
    • Are you talking about 2018 and 2002? The strength of field argument is a better one than the whole scoring, Tiger-proofing, technology argument. IMHO Tiger would have kicked the shit out of everyone in his prime, if everyone was required to use wooden woods and balata golf balls. Or even if he would've happened to stick to persimmon woods longer. There goes the technology argument. Tiger-proofing is Technology Proofing, null, Scoring, nice take, no, scoring hasn't changed that much. The greens were a helluva a lot slower is Nicklaus's prime, and I mean turf-management was trash back in the late 1960s and early '70s. Augusta always looked great because in a lot of ways they were ahead of the curve. But that isn't even the point. Jack didn't even really have "elite" level competition until the late '70s. I mean seriously you might as well call his win at the '71 PGA, the Who Are You Championship, the first "real major" I think Jack had a decent field in was the 1975 Masters, and even that was that was 20 decent players and 25 or 30 mid-level to lower-level pros who made the cut. Tiger won his first Masters over basically has-beens and who's this guy (if you look at the top-ten) Tom Kite finished 2nd and everyone else I'd never even heard of on TV before the '97 Masters. Hell, all four majors of the Tiger Slam, had better fields than all 18 of Jack's majors combined.  Yes, the OWGR didn't make it's debut until 1986 so it is hard to say what the fields were like with statistical evidence, unless well we can try to do it retroactively, but I don't know how we'd be able to do that. Needless to say. Let x= Average Strength Of Field of Jack Nicklaus's major championships Let y= Average Strength Of Field of Tiger's major championships 15y > 18x everyday of the week. If 15y > 18x, then 15/81 > 18/73 Tiger is the GOAT... based on the facts given.
    • Yes I have ongoing issues with my driver always had a fade issue then after a break of 5 months I had a draw to pull issues .. I know it's a just a matter of putting time on the range and working on the basics for me then after around 100+ drives over a couple of practice sessions at the range I get some really good repeat drives ... but then my putting or the short game goes on me AAARRGHHH  But that's why it's such an addictive game for all us players that take it seriously because it's a hard game that when it does click and you feel 10 foot tall and bulletproof ... 
    • This is the same clown that told another dreamer (5 handicap at 27 years old) to f$#@ it, just go for it.  Beside the foul language and atrocious grammar, he’s making it up as he goes. Walter Mitty. Playing even or 1 under from 6900 yards won’t make a cut on any pro tour. That’s Tour Champions distance. Roll on out 7200 to 7500 and count em up.  Even a 58 year old fart like me plays 6500-6800 yards.  This bravado and zero results are a waste.  Young man, grow up.
  • TST Blog Entries

• Blog Entries

• Today's Birthdays

1. artie76
      artie76
      (55 years old)
    2. headsweep
      headsweep
      (52 years old)

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...