IGNORED

TaylorMade M2 irons

TN94z
Note: This thread is 2181 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 12:16 PM, klineka said:

If you had trouble with your old irons, and youre having trouble with a VERY forgiving iron set now, which are in the "super game improvement" category according to the Maltby Playability factor (http://ralphmaltby.com/golf-head-ratings/), AND you admitted you know its the indian not the arrow, why spend at least a couple hundred on another iron set? Why not just take a few lessons and actually improve your swing? Or if you are already taking lessons, be patient and wait for the swing to improve. Switching from 2016 M2s to 718 AP1's wont make you become a pure ball striker. Once the newness of the AP1's wears off I think you'll be in the same position you are in right now.

I am too old for lessons!!  LOL

Actually I did have traditional lessons from a PGA professional many years ago, and still use basically the same swing. I hope the "iron problem" is temporary; it is getting some better. I think the problem was sequencing/timing/tempo causing me to leave the face open, and possibly standing too close to the ball. I have been hitting my driver, fairway, and hybrids fairly well for a nearly 60 year old, and my wedges fair as well. Just full shots with irons were crap. The purchase of the M2s was a knee jerk reaction to the bad iron play, and loss of distance from age. They look great on the shelf, and I liked the numbers on the simulator, so I bought them. If I hit them well, they fly as advertised.

My "modern" clubs were Titleist DCIs from about 1992, so the M2s are a big change. They are cool looking, but a little too chunky, a little too bouncy, and a little too much offset. I have hit the 718 AP1s on the simulator, and with the best shaft they are more consistent, though the distance is a little less than I would like. I may experiment with a couple more shafts. They are just more traditional to look down at while still providing a good amount of forgiveness and launch assistance, though I have never really had trouble getting the ball in the air. I am probably going to trade after the release, even though I will take a beating. I am paying for the impulsive purchase though, rather than what I feel is a good investment.

I will seek instruction if necessary, I am sure I could benefit.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, dbuck said:

I am too old for lessons!!  LOL

Actually I did have traditional lessons from a PGA professional many years ago, and still use basically the same swing. I hope the "iron problem" is temporary; it is getting some better. I think the problem was sequencing/timing/tempo causing me to leave the face open, and possibly standing too close to the ball. I have been hitting my driver, fairway, and hybrids fairly well for a nearly 60 year old, and my wedges fair as well. Just full shots with irons were crap. The purchase of the M2s was a knee jerk reaction to the bad iron play, and loss of distance from age. They look great on the shelf, and I liked the numbers on the simulator, so I bought them. If I hit them well, they fly as advertised.

My "modern" clubs were Titleist DCIs from about 1992, so the M2s are a big change. They are cool looking, but a little too chunky, a little too bouncy, and a little too much offset. I have hit the 718 AP1s on the simulator, and with the best shaft they are more consistent, though the distance is a little less than I would like. I may experiment with a couple more shafts. They are just more traditional to look down at while still providing a good amount of forgiveness and launch assistance, though I have never really had trouble getting the ball in the air. I am probably going to trade after the release, even though I will take a beating. I am paying for the impulsive purchase though, rather than what I feel is a good investment.

I will seek instruction if necessary, I am sure I could benefit.

I would try the Taylormade P790s. I hit one the other day at Dicks and it felt great....better than the APs, in my opinion. That's most likely what I will go with once I have played a few rounds with these M2s.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

• 2 months later...

So I have put a few rounds on the replacement 5i that I received and now this one has the same face slot issue. And honestly, during those 5 rounds, I don't even use the 5i that many times...2 times a round.

So I call Taylormade and explain the situation again and they had my case on file. After talking with them, they are going to send me a new set of TM M1 irons (which I will probably like better to be honest) and I have been assured that the M1 irons have not had the same issues as the M2 because the face is thicker. We will see. I really do like playing the M2s even though they are GI irons. The distance is just ridiculous and they had a good crisp sound. I'll update the post once I try the M1 irons.

Minus the issue with the face slot that one may or may not have, I would recommend these irons as a good GI choice. I have been more than pleased with their performance.

• Like 1

Bryan A

@TN94z

I play some MC67's and love them.  Was thinking about getting a set of MP32's.  I like how they both have the Cut Muscle sections on them.

Have you ever swung a MP67?  Wondered how similar they were or weren't.

I was looking around for face cave-ins of the M2 irons and found some horrible pics/stories.  I would NEVER buy any of their irons.  You might just want to sell the M1's right when you get them as they will be un-hit and sell for more.

Keep on swinging the MP32's, seems like you play them pretty good and they have been loyal for years.

Edited by Vinny Cap

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

1 hour ago, Vinny Cap said:

@TN94z

I play some MC67's and love them.  Was thinking about getting a set of MP32's.  I like how they both have the Cut Muscle sections on them.

Have you ever swung a MP67?  Wondered how similar they were or weren't.

I was looking around for face cave-ins of the M2 irons and found some horrible pics/stories.  I would NEVER buy any of their irons.  You might just want to sell the M1's right when you get them as they will be un-hit and sell for more.

Keep on swinging the MP32's, seems like you play them pretty good and they have been loyal for years.

@Vinny Cap Honestly, I have not. The reason being that I have never really went out looking for another set of irons to buy. I have been very happy with my MP32s. The only reason I got onto this Taylormade kick was I threw in 20.00 on a raffle and won the initial set. I'll give the M1s a chance. I only have 20.00 in them and Taylormade is more than happy to resolve the issue so I have no concerns there. I'll probably always hang on to the Mizunos. They are so old now that, in my mind, I wouldn't get enough out of them to justify selling them. If I were to go out and buy a set, I would prefer Mizunos but it would come down to whatever I hit best via a fitting.

Bryan A

Thanks @TN94z for the reply.

I collect clubs so to have some MP32's kicking around wouldn't be a bad thing.  I have a feeling I will just buy them some day.

I hear you on the $20... not a big deal... wish you luck with the M1's!

* Never sell the 32's... I meant sell the M1's *

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

• 5 months later...
(edited)

Well, I ended up not liking the M1s. I think a big part of it was just not having confidence in the face slot any longer. I know TaylorMade had told me they hadn't had any complaints out of the M1s, but the slot is still there and it still bothered me. So I posted them for sale on Facebook, just to see if any friends wanted them first. I ended up having a guy contact me from Alabama with a brand new set of Callaway Rogue Pro Irons. He stated that he did not like Callaway and had won the irons at his club. He wanted my M1s and wanted to trade straight up. So he sent me the Rogues and I received them, checked them out, and shipped him the M1s. I never would have tried the Rogues most likely, but I knew I didn't want the M1s and this was a pretty good deal. The Rogue's were still in sealed bags and they were 5-AW. I haven't had the chance to hit these yet, but the reviews looked pretty good and the trade was a bit in my favor, so I feel like these will be better. Whether or not they will work for me, that is yet to be seen.

Edited by TN94z
  • Like 1

Bryan A

Note: This thread is 2181 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!