IGNORED

Frank Lloyd Wright

MSchott
Note: This thread is 2412 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been a fan of his organic prairie architecture for decades. We are fortunate to have a number of his homes in Michigan including 5-6 in the Metro Detroit area. One is near Detroit Golf Club in a prestigious part of Detroit. He was a controversial figure with a huge ego and invariably his projects went way over budget. For example, in the late 1930's following the great depression Fallingwater, commissioned by the Kaufman family of Pittsburgh was estimated to cost $35,000.00 and ended up (including the separate guest house) running $155,000.00. Fortunately he usually had clients willing to pay to execute Wright's visions.1000008.jpg?etag=A4ECA9C98AE595146C80FC3Fallingwater2_d2bd17ed-bc1c-9e9e-efe5708

Edited by MSchott
  • Like 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Many of these 'name brand' architects have huge egos and cost overruns and boondoggles. See Calatrava. I'll admit their designs are inspiring and capture the imagination, but there must be some happy medium balancing practicality and design. It's been awhile since I last visited Fallingwater, but I still clearly remember it being incredibly cramped and shockingly, a little clinical and cold, despite its natural environs. There is an FLW exhibit at momma now:

https://www.moma.org/calendar/exhibitions/1660

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

It's been a long time for me as well but other than the bedrooms I don't recall it being cramped. For Wright the primary living space was the living room where friends and family could gather for discussion, music and other events. Fallingwater's living room has a door that opens to the waterfall, is centered around the rock the home is built on, the huge fireplace and a built in kettle to warm wine and other beverages. No matter than some of this was impractical. It was a home to allow you to commune with nature. It's the organic site that's important. Also, it was not the Kaufman family's primary residence, it was a weekend getaway home. 

• Administrator
8 hours ago, MSchott said:

Also, it was not the Kaufman family's primary residence, it was a weekend getaway home. 

It was where the old Kaufman took and stashed his many mistresses, says my wife, a former Kaufman's executive… Not a very well kept secret.

I'm looking forward to visiting some day after one of @NatalieB's tournaments.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I did not know that. This is a terrific video about the home. Edgar Kaufman Jr is a large part of it but of course there's no mention of it being his father's spot for trysts.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qvQZbC1OOZc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Administrator

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, iacas said:

I'm looking forward to visiting some day after one of @NatalieB's tournaments.

It's definitely worth the trip.

My favorite Wright building is the Beth Sholom Synagogue in Elkins Park, PA (near Philadelphia):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beth_Sholom_Congregation_(Elkins_Park,_Pennsylvania)

download.jpg

One of the neat things about Wright is that he designed everything in his buildings...from furniture, to light fixtures, to light switches.  Nothing was "off the shelf".

- John

Note: This thread is 2412 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!