IGNORED

A funny golf story

jkelley9
Note: This thread is 2288 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Figured I would share my funny golf story from about 4 years ago.

I had just joined my current company as a process engineer. I had worked ~2.5 years at my previous job (first job out of college) so I was ~25 years old. I had bought clubs about 1 year prior to that point (while working for my old company) and had taken zero lessons and played MAYBE 3 times since even buying clubs.

I got pair with one of the only actual golfers in our company - a very good player (shoots low 70's). He was the R&D manager which I work closely with in my role as a process engineer. Nearly daily.

It's a shotgun start and I forget what hole we start on, but the story starts on the tee box on #1 where there's plenty of people around to see. We're waiting on the group in front to clear out and so we're staying loose lightly swinging our clubs. I've got my driver out. 

So I'm not paying too much attention. Swinging my driver. And then on one full driver practice swing I take a beaver pelt-sized divot (WITH MY FREAKING DRIVER) and it flew right up into this guys BACK and nearly knocks him over. He turns around like :-X His glare nearly burned a hole through me for about 3-5 seconds and I'm terrified what's about to happen as I'm apologizing but then he says "that was pretty funny" and I started busted out laughing (while apologizing). We play in vendor/company captains choice tournaments a couple times a year and usually group up and I'm pretty sure we've talked about that story every time since.

Take note from my mistake if you aren't a good golfer, don't take practice swings with someone important 5 ft. down your line!

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Funny stuff. 

My first job out of college was with global company. We were at a Holloween golf outing, complete with costumes, and I was some what of a new hire.

I dressed as a doctor. In our group was a middle age lady who dressed as a nurse. Me, being the joker I was at the time jokingly ask her if she wanted to play doctor. Things became really quiet in our group. Long story short, the lady was a very senior vice president in the company who took sexual harrassment vey seriously. We played our golf and went our separate ways with out much conversation. 

Once back at work, my screw up became quite apparent, as I had a lengthy meeting with HR. 

Fortunately my golf game was not effected. I also learned one of those important business things they don't teach in college. :-O

Edited by Patch
  • Like 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Sending a beaver tail size divot up a guys back at 5 feet, with a driver.  That's a trick shot !

Driver - Cleveland Launcher XL270
3 Wood - Cleveland Launcher HT FL3W
Hybrid - Adams A12OS 4h
Irons -  Mizuno MP54 5i - Pitch
Wedges - Cleveland 588 Rotex
Putter - Rife Mr Beasley
Remember, P23 - V4 !!

We tee'd off and were walking down a par 3 hole towards the green.. The previous hole is a 270 yard dog leg left and the last 50 - 60 yards or so parallels the hole we were on. We were several yards from a very large rock on edge of our fairway when were heard "FORE" from the previous hole.

As we turned away I heard a "click" and saw this golf ball fly high and past us. We noticed where the ball went and started "hootin" & hollerin".. This group that hit the ball came racing up to us and were apologizing profusely. We were like.. Huh??.. WTF?. It wasn't THAT close.

I then asked if they saw where the ball went to which they replied "No".. I said it's on the green and that's why we were yelling.

In my Bag Boy XLT-15 bag:
Cobra 10.5* Speed Pro S driver
Cobra 15* Speed Pro 3W
Cobra 20* Baffler Pro
Cobra UFI 4-PW,GW,SW,LW Graphite Cobra Melbourne II putter Ball = Pinnacle: FX Long Gold Cart = ClicGear 2.0 in yellow

• 3 months later...

Something similar happened to some buddies of mine years ago. We are all on the tee box and waiting to hit. One buddy  is swinging warming up. And because it had rained the night before he takes a giant divot spraying the other guy straight up his front from his waist to his hat. It looked like someone loaded a shot gun with mud and blasted him. Needless to say me and their other guy were rolling laughing. He didn't think it was very funny. But I thought it was hilarious.

Edited by Architex

Note: This thread is 2288 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!