IGNORED

My Swing (bear996)

bear996
Note: This thread is 2348 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 1 Week
My current handicap index or average score is: N/A.  I've only played a 9 hole course and shot a 42.
My typical ball flight is: High
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Right now I'm really trying to focus on a good ball strike with my irons.  I don't worry so much about drivers just yet, I'd like to establish a solid mid and short game first.  Most of my iron shots are straight, with the occasional pull, and every now and then I'll hit a good hook shot.

Videos: 

I would suggest trying to reduce the vertical nature of your backswing.  In the picture below comparing you to kevin stadler you can see the difference between him at the top of the backswing vs you.  Think more turn with your shoulders, less lifting with your arms.

Your improved backswing position should make it a bit easier to get the club in a better position during the downswing.  Note the difference in your shafts in the other photo.  

Best of luck.  Not a bad swing at all for a beginner.

vs kevin stadler top of swing.png

vs kevin stadler downswing.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks so much. I'm gonna put this in to practice tomorrow at the range. I think this will greatly help my problem with hitting down on the ball and not getting behind it. 

Welcome to TST!

I'm not an instructor (as @jk3a is), but I have seen an instructor regularly and I can echo this: as you learn a swing, it is so critical to get into a good position at the top of the backswing. I know my instructor spent a while focusing on that, so the advice above is in line with the instruction I received. You can't have much of a chance of success on the downswing if you are not in some position at the top that will give you a chance. Good luck!

Here are some resources on our site that might also help with the backswing (and of course, review your grip and posture as those are fundamentals that need to be "ballpark" ok for you to have a decent chance as well).

Keep updating this thread, and join in elsewhere on the site, and eventually, you'll gain a following here in the thread and folks will chime in to assist. See you around.

• Thumbs Up 1

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

(edited)

So here's my week 2 swing, trying to keep that elbow in more and not coming down on top of the ball so much.  I personally think its better, but still not great.  My mobility is causing some issues, so with the continued weight loss and stretching eventually should get in line, as long as I don't cement bad habits.  I did have some "ah-ha!" moments on the range today when it came to feeling that pure ball strike and seeing it just jump off the club face for long flight.  Thanks for the help going through this before.  Putting up my swing next to Kevin Stadler's swing really made me stop and reevaluate who I was looking at trying to compare my swing to.  

Edited by bear996

Played my first full 18 yesterday after only playing 9 hole courses.  I'm hooked even more on this game now.  I had some abysmally awful shots but I also had some pretty decent shots that made me feel pretty good about things.  There's nothing like unleashing the driver right down the fairway on a par 5 hole and just watching it sail, or hitting a solid iron shot from the fairway to land on the green, man it was awesome.  I ended up with a 107, 2 lost balls and didn't take any extra shots or mulligans.  Worst hole was a 10, I really need to focus on pitching and getting it on the green without skulling the ball because I raise up to see where it goes before I hit it.  

So thanks to you guys for helping me out on my swing and for getting me rolling in the right direction.

• Like 1

My condolences on your getting hooked :beer: . Join the club.

Definitely keep updating here from time to time with what you're working on. Take good camera angles, and you'll get some good feedback on what to work on next over time. Learning happens bit by bit, one epiphany after another, and it's addicting to see where it takes your scores in the long run.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Hey, I just thought you'd get a kick out of this thread:

An old thread, but got bumped a couple weeks ago, and folks have been answering. Looking at the results, you did VERY well for a first round.

My Swing

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/27/2017 at 10:50 AM, bear996 said:

So here's my week 2 swing, trying to keep that elbow in more and not coming down on top of the ball so much.  I personally think its better, but still not great.  My mobility is causing some issues, so with the continued weight loss and stretching eventually should get in line, as long as I don't cement bad habits.  I did have some "ah-ha!" moments on the range today when it came to feeling that pure ball strike and seeing it just jump off the club face for long flight.  Thanks for the help going through this before.  Putting up my swing next to Kevin Stadler's swing really made me stop and reevaluate who I was looking at trying to compare my swing to.  

Glad to help.  I'd like to see your swing from better camera angles if you can.  http://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/filming_your_swing

Edited by jk3a

On 2017-10-27 at 5:50 PM, bear996 said:

Great swing! I would keep on hitting balls and focus on how to get a great feeling of the swing and thinking of the target instead of the tecnical part of the swing.

Note: This thread is 2348 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!