IGNORED

Help me with my Iron Choice.

Ruari
Note: This thread is 5888 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am a bogey golfer but feel I can be much better. I finished last season with the first edition Nike Slingshot Irons which I had for 3 years. I am replacing them this year and want some perspective. I am leaning towards a progressive set like the Titleist 735.cm since I really like the feel and look of quasi-blades and can handle them in the 8,9, PW. I probably should have a full cavity back set since I do play in a very competitive league and play other bogey golfer for money. I am also looking at the Callaway X-20, mainly since it got the Golf Digest Editors choice which I respect.

Any thoughts on which route I should go to stay competitive in my league and keep winning money from my sucker friends. I can not afford to have my game fall off from a drastic change, but I also think I could improve my game with some High iron blades that the 735.cm's offer.

P.S. I have read the entire Muscle Cut VS Cavity threads and do not think they apply much to me since I hit hybrids for my 3 and 4 iron. I have also read the reviews of the 735.cm and the X-20's.

You will hear different views. But to me the biggest improvement you could make is not as much about brand of iron, but getting properly fitted. The right length, lie, swingweight, and flex will do more to improve your game than buying irons off the rack.
I am a PING guy (Played Mizuno MP32 blades for years) but now swing the s58. Probably a little too much club for you right now, but look into a used set of either the G5 or even i5. It appears you are leaning toward Callaway which is fine, but getting fitted to me is the most game improvement thing you could do. Good luck.

Ping hoofer bag Ping G15 10.5* Driver, stock reg shaft Ping G15 3 metal, Aldila 75g Stiff shaft Ping G15 5 metal, Aldila 75g Stiff shaft Mizuno MP 69 3-PW irons, DG S300 shafts Mizuno MP R12 black nickel 52* and 56* gap and sand wedges, DG spinner W+ shafts Mizuno 20* FLiHi Clk hybrids, Project X 5.5 shaft 25 year old Bulls Eye putter, 33" or Ping Anser 2 Scottsdale 34" First round of golf was in 1963 at age 10. Best round -1. 2 Holes-In-One.

What does fitting change? I am a pretty standard guy, a little short at 5'7''. but I have a very standard swing speed.

also how much does it cost to get fitted? If they do make changes what type of changes will they be and how much will that cost me? (ie will I have to buy all new clubs or shafts?)

Titleist and Mizuno are the "players" clubs so you really can't go wrong with those too, just go to your local golf course or golf galaxy and test hit them.
What's In The Bag?

Driver - Rapture 10.5 Epic 68g X-Pure - Balance Certified
Fairway Metal - Titleist PT 18°
Irons - Mizuno MP-67 3-PW Project X 6.0 Wedges - Mizunos R Series Chrome 52°, 56°, 58° Project X 6.0 Putter - Yes! C-Groove Callie-f - Balance Certified Bag - Ping Freestyle...

Titleist and Mizuno are the "players" clubs so you really can't go wrong with those too, just go to your local golf course or golf galaxy and test hit them.

No disrepect Neudi, but Titleist and Mizuno are not the only player's clubs around and not all touring professionals play with MB irons anyway. I played Mizuno MP32 blades for years and the PING s58's, though not muscle back work the ball just as well or better. I am not sure a professed 18 handicapper like the original poster is ready for a set of muscle back irons. While I am sure with your scratch handicap you can play with such an iron with no regrets.

Ping hoofer bag Ping G15 10.5* Driver, stock reg shaft Ping G15 3 metal, Aldila 75g Stiff shaft Ping G15 5 metal, Aldila 75g Stiff shaft Mizuno MP 69 3-PW irons, DG S300 shafts Mizuno MP R12 black nickel 52* and 56* gap and sand wedges, DG spinner W+ shafts Mizuno 20* FLiHi Clk hybrids, Project X 5.5 shaft 25 year old Bulls Eye putter, 33" or Ping Anser 2 Scottsdale 34" First round of golf was in 1963 at age 10. Best round -1. 2 Holes-In-One.

What does fitting change? I am a pretty standard guy, a little short at 5'7''. but I have a very standard swing speed.

Cost varies among fitters, but I am guessing $30-$50 for a fitting session. If you buy clubs off the rack you may get lucky and no changes will be needed. You will get fitted for proper length, proper flex, proper bend point, proper lie and proper swingweight. Mostly likely maybe a shaft change and a lie bend on you iron heads I am guessing to a flatter lie than a stock iron off the rack offers. Your fitter can discuss varies shaft costs to fit your budget but finding the right one for you is worth it IMHO. Others may disagree.

You can look at the new G10s or I10s, which have the accuracy of forged blades and the forgiveness of cavity backs. Nike has also come out with some new versions of the slingshots, the slingshot 4ds. i tried them at Golf Galaxy, you cannot over swing with these. They are so forgiving, deadly accurate, and will increase distance on every club in your bag.

909D3 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 7 Lime Green Exotics cb2 15 Aldila DVS S-85 Slingshot 17° UST Irod S-110g G10 21° TFC S-129g i10 S300 Green Dot 4-PW Vokey Spin Milled Black Nickel 56° and 60° Made for the Tour AOP Newport PP

Age 16

Home CoursesRoyal Hawk...

Here are my choices and thoughts behind said choices.

Titleist 735.cm
Pros:
I am ready for a blade up top, Cavity 5-7 is nice, great reviews.
Should help me get a better swing from instant blade feedback

Cons:
I might struggle with the Blades and suck which will cost me money because I gamble on golf.

Callaway X-20
Pros:
Very easy to hit all around. Golf Digest editors choice best of 2007
Should not have any problem transitioning from my Slingshots.
Should continue to make money gambling.

Cons:
Will not be able to sharpen my game and make even more money long run.

I don't think you should go from slingshots straight to blades, this is because what feels like an on centre hit on the slingshots is probably off centre, they are a VERY forgiving iron, definately go for somthing with a cavity, the Callaway x 20's would be a good move, and all the Taylormade irons at the moment look pretty friendly to higher handicaps.
I think if you go to blades it will be a very big shock to the system.

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

you like the X-20s correct? alright take it a bit further, get the X20 tours, you get better shafts and a players club.

apart from that get fitted!

Driver:10 degree HS9 F speed Stock Regular
FW: 15 degree sasquatch stiff
906F4 18.5 V2 proforce stiff
Hybrid: 21 585H V2 Proforce stiff
Irons: Cobra Fp 4-PW Nippon StiffWedges: CG12 56 degree Wedge Flex Putter: Rossa agsi+ Daytona 1 35"

Here are my choices and thoughts behind said choices.

TRust me, you will not out grow the x-20's in a hurry. They offer great workability too.

Driver: Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 10.5* (UST Proforce v2 77g X Flex) 3 Wood: Callaway Diablo 15* (UST Proforce v2 86g S Flex). 2 Hybrid: Adams A4 Tech 17* (UST Proforce v2 105g S Flex). 3 and 4 Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 20* and 23* (UST Proforce v2 105g S Flex)
Irons: Tour Edge Exotics...

You will hear different views. But to me the biggest improvement you could make is not as much about brand of iron, but getting properly fitted. The right length, lie, swingweight, and flex will do more to improve your game than buying irons off the rack.

I agree with everything my neighbor to the west says. However, I would also suggest you take a look at the the Titleist 775s, the 755s and the Cobra FPs. I know single digit handicap players who play these clubs to great effect. Also, they are about to be replaced with 2008 models and should be available at steep discounts.

For the record, I am 5'6." You have an inch on me, old boy. We folks built close to the ground really benefit from getting fitted, just as do our average height and tall brethern.

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

I have been iron shopping now for 3 months and have tried about 20 different test clubs from most of the major manufacturers and just about every type from tour forged blades to total forgiveness clubs.

Until now, none performed any better than my custom-fitted, 1992 PING Zings with stiff steel shafts or my Mizuno MX-20s with regular graphite shafts and most have performed much poorer for me.

My main performance criteria are 1) consistent ball flight & distance, 2) soft feel, and 3) long distance. My ZINGs are excellent at consistent ball flight and distance, but the stiff steel shaft is too harsh for my old bones (and I have been advised that their heads are too heavy for grahite shafts) and I have lost some distance since I bought these clubs 16 years ago about 20 yards per club). The MX-20 irons in graphite are much softer, but less consistent and still not very long.

The first time I hit a new PING G10 (a green dot 7 iron) I used my now standard distance for the ZING or MX-20, and I hit it way over the green. Then I went to a par 3 with distance that I could hit a 7 iron with a forged blade in my 20's and hit the first two balls hole high in the left sandtrap. I then realized the test club was about 4 or steps more upright than my ZINGs so I aimed my next few shots at the right edge of the green and proceeded to hit 3 shots within ten feet of the pin and two more on the fringe. I played out the G10 and fell in love with it; being 60 and hitting the ball like you are 25 again is truly priceless. The Taylormade R7s did it for woods and now it looks like the G10 may do it for irons.

I have read that the Ping Rapture is about the same, but a bit longer. So my next step is to do a G10 vs. Rapture on the course test and hopefully in a less upright club and hopefully in a 4,5 or 6.

2007 Yamaha Cart
TaylorMade R7 460 Superquad Driver, 10.5, Reg flex (RF)
Taylormade R7 Titanium 3,5 & 7 Fairway woods RF
PING Rapture irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, graphite RF
Odyssey White Hot Two Ball putter Ping Cart Bag, Pioneer in Atomic OrangeNow playing Titleist Pro V1x balls

• 1 month later...
You should look for the Titleist 755. I had them before I dropped 5 shots I am a 5 handicapper now. They are just what you want. I recently switched to the 735.cm. The are a little more demanding then you think but the are great too. But I wouldn't reccomend for the average golfer.

I am a bogey golfer but feel I can be much better. I finished last season with the first edition Nike Slingshot Irons which I had for 3 years. I am replacing them this year and want some perspective. I am leaning towards a progressive set like the Titleist 735.cm since I really like the feel and look of quasi-blades and can handle them in the 8,9, PW. I probably should have a full cavity back set since I do play in a very competitive league and play other bogey golfer for money. I am also looking at the Callaway X-20, mainly since it got the Golf Digest Editors choice which I respect.

Callaway Callaway Callaway. Don't care what ppl think. I'm a 4 handicap and I still play Callaway.

Get the callaway x-forged irons they are very forgiving and with blade like looks they are great.
In my Hoofer Extreme

DriverBurner Stock Shaft 9.5

1 Iron Hybrid Idea Pro3 Iron HybridIdea ProIronsX-Forged 4-PWWedgesSpin Milled Vokey PutterStudio Select Newport 2BallPro V1

I couldn't help but melt when I hit the Mizuno MP 57 at the range. Also the bag appeal is greater than any other Iron. I was so sick of the gigantic Nike Slingshots that I had to switch to something sleek. I am still going to pick up a set of Titleist 735.cm to have as a back up set. I will not be able to put a Callaway or Ping in my bag for many years, possibly not until I am over 60 years old (23 now). I am only going to carry the 4-pw or 5-pw depending on the course I am playing and whether I want the lob wedge in the bag that day. Keeping my 5 wood and hybrid for the 180-220 shots.

Note: This thread is 5888 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!