IGNORED

Review - PGA Superstore Practice Plan

nevets88
Note: This thread is 1901 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Mentioned this in another post, but thought I'd write something here for more visibility. Haven't used it that long, so will update this thread as I get more of a feel for the plan. For $150, you get unlimited 30 minute sessions at the indoor stalls in the PGA Superstore. The stalls are reasonably sized, I'd guess about the size of a small elongated private house garage.

There is a simulator, but haven't used it and guessing it's not going to be as accurate is I'd like it to be. There's just enough room to get the full swing down the line on video, but face on, you're not going to see the clubhead on the downswing or post impact. The reservation website is a little dodgy, couldn't find the option to reserve, eventually used a book again link from the booking created by a salesman at the store. It says I have 3 appointments left as of now, I thought it's unlimited, will talk to the store next visit.

You're also allowed to putt. I'd like to use the Visio template, but the artificial mat won't allow you to press tees into the ground, so guess will have to flatten it out. There are seminars held frequently so you'll have to make sure not to show up at these times when the class will use the stalls or the green. The time allotted for the stalls is 30 minutes, but if demand for the stalls is low, you can stay a little longer.

Compared to Golftec, it's obviously a downgrade, you'll have to check in your clubs and head covers when you go in as well (they put a sticker around the shafts and keep your head covers so you'll have to remember to pick them up on the way out), but at a fraction of Golftec's cost (1/7th?), I'll put up with the inconveniences. Golftec had its inconveniences as well, you had to wait to get a room sometimes and the simulator sometimes had to be rejiggered, you couldn't use your own camera - not enough space. And I'm guessing there's not as much room for a Mevo to measure ball flight.

More after I spend more time at the facility, perhaps others can add their experiences here.

• Informative 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would totally do something like that. Had no clue Golftec offered something like this.

I wish more indoor places offered discount use rates like this, indoor practise gets expensive really quickly.

OK, so that's why I thought I had problems with the website. It's not unlimited, but two sessions max per week. Which is still a good deal. Compared to paying what, $40 for a session with a simulator, if you use this all winter long, let's say 8 times a month for 3 months, comes out to six bucks and change a session. And that's just for 3 months, it's a one year plan, doubt I'll use it as it gets warm enough to practice outside, maybe if it rains. Getting lots of chances to try different putters though. :-O

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• 4 weeks later...

After a month would have to say the plan already paid for itself, have been going 2X a week and usually get 40 minutes, maybe an hour if it's not busy, don't stay longer so as not to abuse the privilege. It's still annoying trying to get a good face on view as there's no space. Leaving the stickers on the clubs gets you in straight away, leaving the head covers in the car makes for another thing you won't have to deal with. And the background music is a little too mainstream for me. Practicing to Barbra Streisand is a first for me. Still I'm the only one I've noticed to bring in a tripod.

If 30 sessions over the winter, that's $5 a session. That's way cheaper than the hourly rate of any simulator and also way cheaper than Golftec. I'll probably buy stuff from the store on the way out if there's a deal.

Steve

1 hour ago, inthecup said:

You said leaving the stickers on the clubs?  Do you mean reflective dots?  If so is the monitor GC2?

Those are the blue stickers that wrap around the bottom of your shaft to distinguish your clubs from whatever's on display. Initially they left slack and they fell off, then they put them on tight and will pretty much gonna use a heat gun to get it off in the spring.

They don't use GC2, don't know what they use, there are all these black markings on their balls.

Steve

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

They don't use GC2, don't know what they use, there are all these black markings on their balls.

aboutGolf, I believe.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

6 minutes ago, iacas said:

aboutGolf, I believe.

I can check next time. Whatever it is, it looks ooold. Didn't check the PCs, but scared I'm gonna get a virus from XP (I bet they didn't upgrade) just by approaching it. :-P As long as the facility infrastructure is pretty new, that's all I need and it seems pretty well kept.

There are 6 bays, and I'd guess 6 smaller ones for club fitting.

The putting green is small, but I'd guess the stimp is 13, 14, not much fake grass over the concrete.

This is off topic, but the M3/M4s aren't in the store yet. No ETA.

Steve

• Administrator
1 minute ago, nevets88 said:

I can check next time.

http://www.aboutgolf.com/img/res/technology/2-1.jpg Like that?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

Yeah, that's it. Those markings aren't going to interfere with the Mevo, right?

How accurate is Aboutgolf?

Steve

• Administrator
56 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Yeah, that's it. Those markings aren't going to interfere with the Mevo, right?

How accurate is Aboutgolf?

I can't say. It's been too long since I last tested it.

https://thesandtrap.com/b/throwing_darts/aboutgolf_and_the_3trak_launch_monitor

• Informative 1

• 3 months later...

In retrospect, this was probably the best $150 I spent for practicing during the winter. Especially with the recent cold spells. And plan doesn't expire till December, so can still use it for rainy days. One of the things being "limited" to 45 minute to 1 hour practice sessions (it's technically 30 minutes, but usually someone doesn't kick me out straight away) is improving focus. I feel a bit weird, most of the staff know my name some I've never really spoken with, guess very much a regular. Also, a good supermarket is right next door, plus Home Depot, so kill two birds with one stone synergies.

Steve

• 5 months later...

To add, used this plan more often than I thought in the summer, with all the rain plus regular outdoor range closes a lot because drainage I'm guessing. As opposed to going to outdoor range option number two where I'm not part of a frequent usage plan and don't save any money, plus paying almost ten dollars for a bucket I'll half the time leave many balls behind, going to PGA Superstore saved some money and air conditioned to boot. Suspect I've gone at least dozen times during the summer so that's a lot of chicken dinners. Plus the change in venue, indoors, takes a little out of the drudgery of practicing at the same place all the time, should have used it more often.

Steve

• 4 months later...

I'm a bit late to the game on this thread, but thought I'd add that I use this plan in my area and they don't have the 2 per week cap.  You can go every day as long as you reserve.  In the cold weather, it's pretty busy.

On 1/28/2019 at 9:44 AM, Effington said:

I'm a bit late to the game on this thread, but thought I'd add that I use this plan in my area and they don't have the 2 per week cap.  You can go every day as long as you reserve.  In the cold weather, it's pretty busy.

Actually, my mistake, it's 3 a week. Seems like most who work the counter know my name now, so guess I'm a regular. Best money I ever spent on winter practice.

Steve

• iacas changed the title to Review - PGA Superstore Practice Plan
Note: This thread is 1901 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!