IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

Day 199.  I was out of my house for most of the day (7am until about 1115pm), but when I got home, I spent five minutes hitting quarter shots (UI and 9I) as a wind down.  Focus was on hitting these shots out of a good setup and grip.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day 101 (24 Sep 22) - Continued shot setup work (grip position, stance, etc.) in the backyard using the SW and PW to hit short pitches focused on the staying consistent on pre-shot routine. 

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Day 14:

Still working on grip thing, maybe too much (blisters), and to the point of overthinking things (feeling flummoxed addressing the ball right now). We'll see how it goes in tomorrow's round, but still feel limited to 3/4 swings to contact the ball solidly. Planning to record some swings tomorrow afternoon, but it's a busy day, so maybe Monday.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Day 61 (9/24/22): I worked on impact position in very abbreviated swings with real golf balls. Then I played about 12 holes at PGA West Stadium Course on the simulator. That. Course. Is. Unbelievably. Difficult. Good luck if you miss a green basically anywhere. Holy moly. I’m going to Palm Springs and was planning to play it so I think I need to play it about 50 times on the sim before I go there. 

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

Day 15:

Played 18 this morning. Scored better than expected considering some struggles with grip adjustment, but I tried to not overthink the weird feeling and just swing the club.

-Peter

Day 102 (25 Sep 22) - Played 18 with song and grandson this afternoon. Used the round to work on up and down around the greens as I had a limited number of clubs in the bag today.  

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

(Yesterday, 9/24/22, was a miss, my second in September but I haven't missed in the 30 days prior to that at all)

Day 200.  Full FFG workout this morning, from the in-season workouts.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 16- long day and just finished with backswing practice and trying to keep my left arm straight. This has translated into fairly straight shots on the course, and hooks when I don’t.

Day 62 (9/25/22): I continued working impact drills and played 11 holes at my course. Hit some very nice iron shots and putts. Driver was bad for the first 5-6 holes then was better. Everything was on the golf course. I shot 50 for 11 holes. Finished with some strength training tonight. 

JP Bouffard

Day 103 (26 Sep 22) - Worked on the swing setup today using a couple of wedges again focusing on the grip position, alignment, etc.    

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

Day 1 (9/26/22): 

Did some wall drills focusing on getting to my left side on the downswing. Then hit some wiffle balls in the yard focusing getting to my left side without kicking my right leg/knee towards the ball. Also did some slow mo swings working on left wrist twist and roll in the downswing. Played nine holes 

Day 63 (9/26/22): Indoor practice into net/screen. Impact pre-set drills, transitioning to 3/4 swings. Started with the impact pre-set, swing back to P2, swing forward to finish. Four times with foam balls, then one real ball. Then switch clubs and repeat. I did about 8 cycles of this over about 30 minutes, using most of the clubs in the bag including teed up driver. Then I switched to normal set up, and practiced a P3 length backswing and then getting to the impact position again and freezing. Did this 5-6 times then would hit a foam ball. I finished with 8 real balls, swing length about P3.5. I concentrated throughout the entire session on trying to let my lower body drive the swing. Pushing into the ground with the right leg going back, recenter, then push with the left leg into that impact position and the finish. I practiced about 45-50 minutes. The first 30 minutes were difficult but I forced myself to keep doing the present/tiny swing thing and not get ahead of myself. Quality of striking increased as the session went on. I finished really well, just flushing the last 4 shots with good direction and very little sidespin. Making progress.

JP Bouffard

Day 16:

Continued working on the same stuff. Still need to record swings to check if grip thing is making it into full swings all the time.

Had a nice cathartic ball hitting session midday taking a break from work, had a nice rhythm going and was hitting the ball crisply.

Later in the evening tried to get that same groove back but couldn't quite get there, and then I started chasing stuff and ended up not really practicing very effectively, but I hit a bunch of balls.

-Peter

Day 201.  Wind-down for a little over ten minutes today after work was hitting quarter shots with a UW, focus on setup and grip. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

Day 202.  I had only a dozen or so minutes between getting home from the office and heading out for the evening, but I made good use of it:  five minutes of quarter shots (9-iron) and a half dozen full swings with a 6-iron (shoulder/tilt drill, elbows, repeat). 

-- Michael | My swing! 

Day 104 (27 Sep 22) Tonight was the monthly 9-hole best ball with church man’s group.  Had a good evening in terms of ball striking (grip and setup drills starting to pay off).  

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star