IGNORED

when does your lower body weight shift begin

Note: This thread is 5835 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 member has voted

1. 1. when does the lower body shift start?

• exactly at the top of your backswing
    • after the start of your downswing
    • before the start of your downswing
    • other

for me, the lower body weight shift began at about age 38

Do you have to work hard at being a fool or does it come naturally?

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

Before the top of your backswing.

TaylorMade R11S TP Blur 60 X
TayloreMade R11S TP Blur 70 X

Titleist 910H 21&24
Miura Tournament Blades 5-PW DGX100 Tour Issue
Cleveland CG16 52

Miura Black Wedge 56, 60
Newport 2 Teryllium Ten

Titleist ProV1x

for me, the lower body weight shift began at about age 38

thanks for that....very funny!

In my Procombo stand bag
Fusion FT-3
Fusion FT-3 3 wood
Citation 2 iron from the early 80's
Cronin Tour irons 4 - PW V-foil 56 Vokey wedge 58 Oil canV-foil 60 G2i CRAZ-E ProV1

hi

some of the best players have played with a reverse pivot and they have been very successful

Greg Norman, Nick Faldo, Jose Maria Olazabal, and Jack Nicklaus..also Miguel Angel Jimenez...the most important part of a golf swing is the 3 feet before and after impact..so there!

bb

• 2 months later...
  • Administrator
some of the best players have played with a reverse pivot and they have been very successful

That's not a reverse pivot. Their weight is still on their front foot at the follow through, and it shifts to the back foot during the take-away and to the top of the backswing.

So... no.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You'll get alot of disagreance with that statement.

Nope, it's a twist alright. I just read a book on how to create an effortless swing, probably one of the best books out there (up there with Hogan IMO). Your right knee should shift towards the ball, transfering your weight to the inside of your left foot, twisting the hips to the perfect place, bringing the right elbow/shoulder down and putting you in the perfect impact position. Your knees should end up touching or being very close.

And to answer the question, I've always started the downswing with the weight shift, but never during the backswing. Hogan said starting the weight shift during the backswing is fine and shows how important starting the downswing is with the hips.

Driver: Tour Burner 10.5*
3 Wood: Hibore 15*
3 Hybrid: 3dx DC 20*
Irons: i5 4-PW
Gap Wedge: cg12 50*Sand Wedge: cg12 54*Putter: g5i anserIn my grom bag :)

As the club reaches the top of the swing-Greg Norman has said he pushes off his right foot

I've never read or heard Greg Norman say that, and in fact I've both read and heard (in numerous books and videos) Greg Norman say he feeling like he is keeping his back foot down, and liked to feel flat footed at impact. Pictures do not show him

pushing off either (see the image below that includes Norman at impact) as the back foot is still very low to the ground. http://img366.imageshack.us/img366/7...timpactzi7.jpg Pimpslap where did you hear (or read) the contradictory information? Back to the topic of the tread... The answer to when to begin the move back to the ball varies depending on what you consider the end of the back swing, what type of swing style you use, and if you want the scientific answer or the feel answer. The ModelGolf school of thought says that when the lead arm reaches parallel to the ground (the position of Sergio Garcia in the middle picture below) you are at the end of the backswing, and you should begin the transition (or downswing). Some pros believe in that school of thought (where the shoulders turn back as the hips are turning the opposite way at the same time), and others believe in completing the shoulder turn back before making a movement to reverse the swing. There is also the factor that there is a difference in time between when your mind tells your body to do something and when your body actually does it. There can also be a time discrepency between when you feel something occuring, and when it actually occurs in video and pictures. If you step by step (frame by frame) many tour pros swing videos you will find it difficult to find a pro that has his/her lower body moving back to the target while the upper body is still coiling back. (I took a quick look at a dozen video clips of pros I have, and not one of them has any noticable two directions at once movement, but that doesn't neccessary mean they don't feel like they do it).

In my bag:

Driver: Burner TP 8.5*
Fairway metals/woods: Burner TP 13* Tour Spoon, and Burner TP 17.5*
Irons: RAC MB TP Wedges: RAC TPPutter: Spider Ball: (varies ) (Most of the time): TP Red or HX Tour/56---------------------------------------------------

• Administrator
I've never read or heard Greg Norman say that, and in fact I've both read and heard (in numerous books and videos) Greg Norman say he feeling like he is keeping his back foot down, and liked to feel flat footed at impact. Pictures do not show him

Who says you have to LIFT your foot? Lifting your foot is almost the opposite of "pushing off." I know what feeling he's describing, and I think "pushing off" is a good way to put it.

It has nothing to do with lifting your foot.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I dont I think consciously make a "hip turn". Back or thorugh..it just happens. When I set my feet a like to get a feeling of my heels pushing away from each other to give me a solid base on my legs. If anything, it quiets my legs and feels like im making a mostly shoulder swing.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

I checked exactly on the start of my back swing but it likely to be a bit before hand. My problem at times is my shift starts too early and I pull my shots left...they go far but off-line

Cheers,
Eric

what's in my Sun Mtn bag:
Driver: 3-Wood: Big Bertha Irons: Mizuno MP-54 Wedge: Mizuno 56°-10° Putter: Newport 2 Ball: Pro Vx

It seems like Segio is hitting a knock down shot anyway in AvidGolfers illustration, looking at grip, hand position, and ball position.

I don't think there is enough information in those pictures to make the assumption that he is hitting a kock down shot. His grip and placement of his hands on the club is pretty much the standard he uses for all his shots, and his ball position (if you draw a line straight up) is pretty close to the his left ear and the left side of his head.

The view of his swing from the target also shows the ball getting up in the air pretty quickly. http://www.golfdigest.com/instructio.../sergio_upline Punch shots (aka knock downs) also do not tipically contain a full backswing and full finish. http://www.golfdigest.com/instructio...iosequence0602

In my bag:

Driver: Burner TP 8.5*
Fairway metals/woods: Burner TP 13* Tour Spoon, and Burner TP 17.5*
Irons: RAC MB TP Wedges: RAC TPPutter: Spider Ball: (varies ) (Most of the time): TP Red or HX Tour/56---------------------------------------------------

Note: This thread is 5835 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!