IGNORED

2018 RBC Heritage

krupa
Note: This thread is 2198 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Looks like CBS is "re-examining" its policy on airing early-start tournaments live: https://www.golfdigest.com/story/cbs-sports-re-examining-policy-that-kept-final-round-of-rbc-heritage-from-being-shown-live

“We have not streamed live golf outside our telecast window during weather-related tee time adjustments to protect our affiliates’ broadcast exclusivity, but we are re-examining our policy,” CBS Sports said in a statement.

I don't think anything will come of this and even if their policy was different, I still would have missed the broadcast* because I didn't have the TV on.

On a somewhat related note, Spectrum (formerly Time Warner) is having a contract dispute with someone else (I don't know or care who the players are in this mess) and the net result is that I have not had Fox for the past 2-3 months. If it continues, I won't be watching the US Open. On the plus side, I bet my home course will be empty that weekend. :)

* I imagine someone here would have posted something about it being live early, though.

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, krupa said:

Looks like CBS is "re-examining" its policy on airing early-start tournaments live: https://www.golfdigest.com/story/cbs-sports-re-examining-policy-that-kept-final-round-of-rbc-heritage-from-being-shown-live

I don't think anything will come of this and even if their policy was different, I still would have missed the broadcast* because I didn't have the TV on.

On a somewhat related note, Spectrum (formerly Time Warner) is having a contract dispute with someone else (I don't know or care who the players are in this mess) and the net result is that I have not had Fox for the past 2-3 months. If it continues, I won't be watching the US Open. On the plus side, I bet my home course will be empty that weekend. :)

* I imagine someone here would have posted something about it being live early, though.

In the same boat with Spectrum.  Am thinking about Hulu Live during US Open week if I am still without Fox, I think you can do a trial run for like a week

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

On 4/16/2018 at 8:38 AM, Bucki1968 said:

Not sure if anyone listens to PGA tour radio? I was listening to the tournament (live) early in the day while doing all the work around the house that I put off on Saturday. I listen to the tournaments while I play golf with a Bluetooth speaker. I actually like the announcers. They make more interesting comments about the golfers than you get from Nick Faldo and Jim Nance.

I do love the PGA Tour Radio. You can stream it from the app too, so I listen on my commute on Thursday and Friday afternoon. 

As for the delayed broadcast...

I think with today's instantaneous connectivity there is little excuse not to show sporting events live in some form, at the very least streaming online.

I get CBS not wanting to change around their line-up, but perhaps that is why broadcast TV networks will be fading over the next decade. Many are switching to streaming services anyway I and long for the day that I can just pay $10 a month direct to the PGA Tour to see every round of every event broadcast live, commercial free, on an app compatible with my television. 

- Mark

(edited)
9 minutes ago, Braivo said:

I think with today's instantaneous connectivity there is little excuse not to show sporting events live in some form, at the very least streaming online.

I get CBS not wanting to change around their line-up, but perhaps that is why broadcast TV networks will be fading over the next decade. Many are switching to streaming services anyway I and long for the day that I can just pay $10 a month direct to the PGA Tour to see every round of every event broadcast live, commercial free, on an app compatible with my television. 

I think the problem is that CBS (and every other network for that matter) make exclusivity deals with their affiliates and cable companies and shit that say they won't show golf at any other time.  That enables the affiliates and shit to sell advertising and say, "Golfers are your demographic and the only place from 3-6 on Saturday and Sunday to watch golf is our channel."

If CBS starts broadcasting at some other time, then that screws up a hierarchy of deals. And since we, the viewers, aren't writing checks for any of it, we're the ones who lose.  

Edited by krupa

4 minutes ago, krupa said:

I think the problem is that CBS (and every other network for that matter) make exclusivity deals with their affiliates and cable companies and shit that say they won't show golf at any other time.  That enables the affiliates and shit to sell advertising and say, "Golfers are your demographic and the only place from 3-6 on Saturday and Sunday to watch golf is our channel."

If CBS starts broadcasting at some other time, then that screws up a hierarchy of deals. And since we, the viewers, aren't writing checks for any of it, we're the ones who lose.  

I agree, which is why I hope things continue to change. We are seeing this with the Hulu type model for TV and now ESPN is delving into streaming services for live sports. Just a matter of time IMO before this old model dies. 

- Mark

Just now, Braivo said:

We are seeing this with the Hulu type model for TV and now ESPN is delving into streaming services for live sports. Just a matter of time IMO before this old model dies. 

I don't have Hulu or Youtube TV or any of the other current, new things.  Are there ads?

The last time I tried to stream ESPN (which I admit was a while ago) I had to prove that I had a cable package that included ESPN (which I don't.)

Just now, krupa said:

I don't have Hulu or Youtube TV or any of the other current, new things.  Are there ads?

The last time I tried to stream ESPN (which I admit was a while ago) I had to prove that I had a cable package that included ESPN (which I don't.)

Hulu you can pay $4 extra per month to remove ads from the shows. I gladly pay it. 

ESPN just released a new service that does not require a cable package, but still limits viewing based on "geographical markets", so still more of the same imo. 

The cable companies and the networks are "middle men" and the technology is now there to bypass them.

Direct to consumer live sports via subscription streaming apps is the future. 

- Mark

Note: This thread is 2198 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!