IGNORED

New Irons

AugustaDawg17
Note: This thread is 2134 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This is about a month old, was curious if @AugustaDawg17 has purchased anything.

With multiple stores around to buy used clubs, I would be hitting them all and swinging everything that catches my eye.  Ping, Callaway & Mizuno are some good clubs... everyone has their favorites but you should be able to get a good quality used set of 3 - PW for around $200 - $300.

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 month later...
On 5/11/2018 at 10:36 AM, Vinny Cap said:

This is about a month old, was curious if @AugustaDawg17 has purchased anything.

With multiple stores around to buy used clubs, I would be hitting them all and swinging everything that catches my eye.  Ping, Callaway & Mizuno are some good clubs... everyone has their favorites but you should be able to get a good quality used set of 3 - PW for around $200 - $300.

Sorry for the late response, been looking on and off between being busy last couple months. 

More recently I found a few within my price range- TaylorMade R Bladez, Cobra s3 irons, and Callaway RAZR irons. Any thoughts on any of these? The Cobra s3s felt pretty good but I couldn’t find much on them. These are all right around 200. I’m debating just waiting until I can afford something in the 300 range. Any thoughts on any of these?

on a side note- I did find a Callaway XR 16 used for 120$, hence my decrease in available funds for the irons haha

All modern iron sets from known companies perform perfectly well. There's no such thing as good or bad. It all comes down to what YOU personally like. 

Please don't take any notice what people recommend in terms of specific brands and models. THEY ARE ALL EQUALLY GOOD. What others like has nothing to do with you.

If you are buying clubs from a known OEM you are buying quality. Just steer clear of clubs that are unforgiving which are designed for people who hit close to the sweet spot 95% of the time.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

19 minutes ago, Shorty said:

All modern iron sets from known companies perform perfectly well. There's no such thing as good or bad. It all comes down to what YOU personally like. 

Please don't take any notice what people recommend in terms of specific brands and models. THEY ARE ALL EQUALLY GOOD. What others like has nothing to do with you.

If you are buying clubs from a known OEM you are buying quality. Just steer clear of clubs that are unforgiving which are designed for people who hit close to the sweet spot 95% of the time.

I agree with this train of thought 100%, whole heartedly. This also brings into play, the price of a set of clubs. Why spend more when you don't have too? A quality brand, at a better price seems to be the way to go. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

36 minutes ago, Shorty said:

Some are more forgiving though no? I don’t pretend to know the tech behind the clubs,  and how they work, just want the best clubs within a given price range. I’m pretty clueless to know what makes “good” clubs. I was initially going to go with just the full Callaway Strata set but after talking to several people and getting some advice on here I decided to go better  quality, used clubs 

11 minutes ago, AugustaDawg17 said:

Some are more forgiving though no? I don’t pretend to know the tech behind the clubs,  and how they work, just want the best clubs within a given price range. I’m pretty clueless to know what makes “good” clubs. I was initially going to go with just the full Callaway Strata set but after talking to several people and getting some advice on here I decided to go better  quality, used clubs 

Just a suggestion. If you have not already ruled hem out, take a look at what Tour Edge has to offer. Both price wise, forgiveness, and in quality. . FWIW. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Cobra s3 irons and Callaway RAZR irons would both be a good set to start with.  Both are a bit forgiving for you as well. 

Too bad you dropped $120 on the driver.  Do you need a bag, putter, woods and wedges as well?

If so, you will need more $$$ to get you going.  You might have to look on FleeBay to see if you can get some deals.

41 minutes ago, Vinny Cap said:

Cobra s3 irons and Callaway RAZR irons would both be a good set to start with.  Both are a bit forgiving for you as well. 

Too bad you dropped $120 on the driver.  Do you need a bag, putter, woods and wedges as well?

If so, you will need more $$$ to get you going.  You might have to look on FleeBay to see if you can get some deals.

Yea after looking through my set again the driver was the priority. My previous driver looked more like a 3 wood 

8 minutes ago, AugustaDawg17 said:

Yea after looking through my set again the driver was the priority. My previous driver looked more like a 3 wood 

Ahhhh... an old school driver.  I guess you could start there as that club does get used a lot.

So are you hitting the blades still?  Have you gotten any better with them?

(edited)
1 hour ago, Vinny Cap said:

Ahhhh... an old school driver.  I guess you could start there as that club does get used a lot.

So are you hitting the blades still?  Have you gotten any better with them?

Making solid contact most of the time. Accuracy is still a major issue. Haven’t tried any others so I’m interested to see when I do change to some more forgiving irons if it changes my game dramatically like it did with the driver 

(what made me upgrade my driver was using my buddies Callaway in the course- consistently 50-75 yards farther and straighter )

Edited by AugustaDawg17

Note: This thread is 2134 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!