IGNORED

New Irons

AugustaDawg17
Note: This thread is 2091 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey all, looking to maybe buy some new irons for cheap and was wondering if anyone had any particular opinions on the most affordable options. I’ve been using an old set from a friend- which are apparently more difficult irons to hit (blades, I’m new to the game- wasn’t awar). Anyway I’m not looking to spend a large amount now, I figure I’ll wait a few years and get the set I want when I can afford it. As far as getting the most for my money- is the best option generally online used or in a local store used, or just buy a new cheaper set? I’m in Augusta and have a couple different used golf shops around here. 

Thanks in advancd 

• Administrator
On 4/19/2018 at 1:35 PM, ncates00 said:

Go to a golf shop and try hitting different things.  See what you like.  Then, find it on ebay and buy it.

I second this. How's the hunt going @AugustaDawg17?

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 4/19/2018 at 1:26 PM, AugustaDawg17 said:

Hey all, looking to maybe buy some new irons for cheap and was wondering if anyone had any particular opinions on the most affordable options. I’ve been using an old set from a friend- which are apparently more difficult irons to hit (blades, I’m new to the game- wasn’t awar). Anyway I’m not looking to spend a large amount now, I figure I’ll wait a few years and get the set I want when I can afford it. As far as getting the most for my money- is the best option generally online used or in a local store used, or just buy a new cheaper set? I’m in Augusta and have a couple different used golf shops around here. 

Thanks in advancd 

Suppose you’re right handed? If you’re a lefty I can hook you up nicely.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

22 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Suppose you’re right handed? If you’re a lefty I can hook you up nicely.

Actually am a lefty but golf right handed. Thanks though

Honestly haven't had time to go to a shop yet, going to try this weekend and go from there. Thanks for the responses

28 minutes ago, AugustaDawg17 said:

Actually am a lefty but golf right handed. Thanks though

Honestly haven't had time to go to a shop yet, going to try this weekend and go from there. Thanks for the responses

Sure thing. Well let us know how it goes! Many of us here love to hear about new club purchases...kind live vicariously through these wonderful events! Lol.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 11:26 AM, AugustaDawg17 said:

Thanks in advancd 

I'd suggest looking into a well maintained set of Ping Eye 2's with the zz-lite shafts.  They are reasonably priced and have a solid history of play.  I'm not partial to them or anything. ;-)

Callaway Razr-Fit 8.5 Driver | Callaway GBB Warbird 3W | PingEye 2 Irons (2-PW) | McGregor Jack Nicklaus SW | Ping B61 Putter

36 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Sure thing. Well let us know how it goes! Many of us here love to hear about new club purchases...kind live vicariously through these wonderful events! Lol.

Right. Getting new irons is the best part of the game :whistle:

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

20 hours ago, fishgolf said:

I'm not partial to them or anything. ;-)

Right, like I'm not partial to Mizuno! Best, -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

My dad just picked up a set of brand new Wilson C200-D300?? Can't remember but it was some combo of those letters and numbers for 212.00. Great set for beginners if you're looking for an actual brand. They're solid. Very forgiving. I've hit them a few times since I sent him the link to buy them, but they're somewhere between SGI and GI. Really solid clubs. He gained 2 clubs distance with them, i.e. He hits his new 9i as far as his previous 7i on solid strikes. Less than perfect strikes and they go even better, comparatively.  I purposely mishit a few and was very impressed at the distance across the entire face. Slight mishits cost almost nothing and even bad mishits go a ton further than they would with his old set. 

The above is probably true with any new set of GI or SGI irons. But you won't find 4-GW sets of most of them for just over 200.00. They're solid for a beginner or someone that generally isn't a very good ball striker (dad). If you're interested further in these shoot me a PM and I'll see if I can find the place he got them at and the exact model. I doubt you'll find a better set new for less that are more forgiving. 

• 2 weeks later...

If you look on ebay you can find any number of older iron sets. If you’re new I’d recommend looking at a set that has 5-PW and learning to play with those, and hen expanding your set from there.Once you’re comfortable with the irons, look for some longer irons for when you’re farther out than a 5 iron can hit, or just looking for a club to hit off the tee. A lot of new players will benefit tremendously from hybrids, and they’re not too expensive if you buy them used. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Ping G series are worthy of consideration. Very forgiving, lots in the market, and you can usually sell them on for a good price.  You can also find them in all different lie angles. If you get fitted (or even just use height/wrist to floor) you can something that'll fit well too. 

How many irons are you looking for, I mean how high do you want to go, i.e., 4 or 5 or 6 or 7 through the gap wedge? When I began I had a set 7 through gap and used hybrids above a 7i. I agree, go on eBay there are tons of clubs there, in fact I need to learn to sell on eBay because I have three sets to sell.

49 minutes ago, cooke119 said:

in fact I need to learn to sell on eBay because I have three sets to sell.

Me too. Lemme know when you figure it out! -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

Lol! I've started the clearing out of old equipment too. I have probably 30 iron sets, 60 hybrids, 30 FW's, 30 drivers, 100+ wedges, and 25 putters. Sadly I also have enough bags to put them all in. My oldest boys summer job is selling all of the extras on eBay. He makes the same percentage as ebay, that's his pay for cleaning them up, setting up the ad, and prepping them for shipping. Once a week or so we go over the inventory together and I tell him the lowest price I'd take for any of them and we go from there. 

I buy a ton during the winter, then sell off when the buying is hot. By the time I pay all the fees I usually break even as most clubs I've bought were bought at or less than the PGA trade in values, some significantly so. I set my minimum at the PGA trade in value in my pocket after all fees. Whatever can't be sold for at least this, end up taking a car ride to the PGA Superstore and it's a wash. Key is to buying from November through March and selling from April through June. 

Basically let's me play every club I'd want for free. Sure I've been burnt a few times (see Adams and Nike prices once they went out of the equipment  business). Some clubs see the bag, most others see someone else's bag. Decent business model for me. I go into debt in the winter and come back out in the summer. And get to play all equipment for freeish. 

Whatever you do, get fitted for the clubs. I just got new irons and was fitted by one of the pros at my club. My 7 iron carry in now 156 rolling in 160 on average. And I've not chilly dipped any iron shot. The clubs he recommended were M4's, shafts 1 inch longer than standard and lie angle is +1. I'm 70 years old and in my best day, I couldn't hit my 7 iron more than 150. My iron swing speed is 85 and yet the ball is carrying much further than I thought it would.

First time I've ever had a club fitting. And he had me keep my same driver but changed the shaft so now the ball rolls about 15 years further when it hits the ground.

• Like 1

Just my .02 but you're better off buying quality used irons and having them fitted to you. I think any irons from a reputable brand made in the last 5-6 years from would be fine. 

I would avoid new generic clubs. It feels like you're getting a good deal but you're actually overpaying for something that will not have any resale value when you outgrow them.

With that being said Phil Mickelson could use a set of clubs from the Goodwill and still whip everyone at my home course. A good swing with old clubs still beats a bad swing with new clubs, 100% of the time IME. Club technology is a little bit overrated. 

Note: This thread is 2091 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!