IGNORED

Can't find information on ball found at range.

Note: This thread is 2146 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So last Friday, I went to my local driving range and found this ball that I have never seen before. I have tried googling it but found nothing about it.  If anyone has any information (Age, Brand, History) or even where I could find that information it would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_0599.jpg

The brand is RAM. The company didn’t start operating under that name until 1967 and pretty much is nonexistent now, with separate product lines being sold off to bigger corporations. 

The logo is for a meat packing company in Iowa. Pretty well known it appears. The company struggled throughout the 60s and 70s and essentially died off in the 80s. 

RAM made a big golf push in the 70s so my guess is that this ball is from that era and was likely to generate sales or interest for Rath at a corporate golf event. Apparently it didn’t work. 

• Like 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, bentaygo said:

Wow. I was not expecting anything to come from this thread. Thank you so much for the quick response.😀

@bentaygo  Why?

This forum is full of great information.   There are plenty of great people that contribute to the forum and help make it one of the best.   BTW...Welcome to TST and we hope you stick around.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Since this thread is identifying golf balls maybe  someone might have some info on this ball. 

Back in the day there was a ball put out by either Titleist, or Topflite. One of those names were stamped on it. The only other word on the ball was the word "POWER". 

I contacted both companies, who told me it was not theirs. That they had no idea who may have made it. I just know that one of those brand names were on it. 

The ball just up and disappeared from store shelves. That ball was absolutely the best ball I have ever played. This was back in the 1980s when I was scaring the hell out of par, on just about any course I played. 

So, assuming I was wrong about who made this ball, does anyone remember a ball that had the word "POWER" stamped on it, and who made it?

And yeah, I know any ball made today is better than anything available 40 years ago. It's just one of those unanswered questions that pops up every so often that bugs me a little. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

On 4/28/2018 at 3:26 PM, dennyjones said:

@bentaygo  Why?

This forum is full of great information.   There are plenty of great people that contribute to the forum and help make it one of the best.   BTW...Welcome to TST and we hope you stick around.

I just thought the ball was so random that it would have taken longer for an answer. 

3 minutes ago, bentaygo said:

I just thought the ball was so random that it would have taken longer for an answer. 

It was a fun little research project thanks for the question :beer: Hope you explore the site some more and enjoy yourself while you are here! 

17 minutes ago, HJJ003 said:

It was a fun little research project thanks for the question :beer: Hope you explore the site some more and enjoy yourself while you are here! 

I'll try to and when I'm not playing rounds I'll be here. 

On 4/28/2018 at 3:57 PM, Patch said:

Since this thread is identifying golf balls maybe  someone might have some info on this ball. 

Back in the day there was a ball put out by either Titleist, or Topflite. One of those names were stamped on it. The only other word on the ball was the word "POWER". 

I contacted both companies, who told me it was not theirs. That they had no idea who may have made it. I just know that one of those brand names were on it. 

The ball just up and disappeared from store shelves. That ball was absolutely the best ball I have ever played. This was back in the 1980s when I was scaring the hell out of par, on just about any course I played. 

So, assuming I was wrong about who made this ball, does anyone remember a ball that had the word "POWER" stamped on it, and who made it?

And yeah, I know any ball made today is better than anything available 40 years ago. It's just one of those unanswered questions that pops up every so often that bugs me a little. 

There are a lot of models from back in the day that have "power" in the name (Molitor Titanium Power, Slazenger Power Control, Spalding Power Flite, etc) but the only ball I know of that was just called "Power" was the Dunlop Power.

dunlop.jpg.882566529c3b6a241341bdd9641c8453.jpg

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

• 4 weeks later...

Along these lines of ball ID, my mom found and gave me a logo ball from our family business (sold 30 years ago).  It is a Park/Macgregor Magnum 100.  I have been searching online to try and find an approximate age on it and have not been able to find anything.  Do any of you know what year this might have been made?  I'm guessing late 60's/early 70's.

On 5/11/2018 at 5:11 PM, bentaygo said:

About two weeks later I have another ball I found at the range. Let's see if anyone can find info on this one?

IMG_0732.jpg

@bentaygo well McLaughlin was a golf ball company out of Crown Point, Indiana. Made golf balls in 50s though the late 90s I think. Known for “specialty” golf balls they designed weird colors and such. I think they did a lot of range balls. However, they are most known for making range balls for a driving range in Sacramento California that were low compression and floating golf balls. The range was essentially hitting into the Sacramento River. Not sure if this was the first known ball to do this, but certainly got press for being unique. 

1 hour ago, ChevDog said:

Along these lines of ball ID, my mom found and gave me a logo ball from our family business (sold 30 years ago).  It is a Park/Macgregor Magnum 100.  I have been searching online to try and find an approximate age on it and have not been able to find anything.  Do any of you know what year this might have been made?  I'm guessing late 60's/early 70's.

I believe magnum 100 were made by Voit. 1960s sounds right. Got a picture?

23 minutes ago, HJJ003 said:

@bentaygo well McLaughlin was a golf ball company out of Crown Point, Indiana. Made golf balls in 50s though the late 90s I think. Known for “specialty” golf balls they designed weird colors and such. I think they did a lot of range balls. However, they are most known for making range balls for a driving range in Sacramento California that were low compression and floating golf balls. The range was essentially hitting into the Sacramento River. Not sure if this was the first known ball to do this, but certainly got press for being unique. 

Oh. Crown Point is where I was born and where I was playing a round today. I never knew McLaughlin was a local company. I will see if there is any history about it here. 

17 hours ago, HJJ003 said:

8E557791-62BC-48C3-8E1F-EB25EF0099F8.jpeg

B506712F-A763-4537-9E29-EAA0D6F06EEF.jpeg

6E8F4999-F3D0-4B21-AF00-C64473862D85.jpeg

@ChevDog thanks for the pics. Nice case. I believe your assessment of late 60s/early 70s is correct. All I know is that MacGregor golf balls were known to be inferior, and pros that had equipment deals with them often refused to use them. I am not familiar with the magnum 100, but I assume it was one of their brands. Their “hay day” was the 40s and 50s, and they were defunct by the 90s. They are most famous for being the ball of Jack Nicklaus...and supposedly he knew they sucked. 

I found the case on Amazon for about $5.  Much of what I could find online was the same as what you reported.  Crappy balls that the pros didn't want to use.  I asked my dad about this ball, and he didn't remember buying any logo balls for the company, so it must have been purchased by my grandfather who passed away in 1980.  This would make it from the 70's at the very latest.

the old "Plus 6" (hexagonal dimples) was interesting, as were the "Robinhoods (Hot Ones)" (Illegal, too small, supposed to go a lot farther).

I have a single found "Schwetty" Ball.  Here's a picture for here for the fun of it.

2018-06-11 09_24_13-Pair of Schwetty White Balls_ Left and Right Golf Balls _ eBay.jpg

Bill - 

Note: This thread is 2146 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!