IGNORED

Seeking Las Vegas Local Knowledge

scotth
Note: This thread is 2149 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

After a few years in the frozen tundra of Northern New York (22 miles from Canada in the 1000 Islands Region) my wife and I are planning on relocating.  We are giving very serious thought to Las Vegas as their are tons of opportunities for both of us work wise.  Pics below show view of golf course in February, and me dressed for golf on a rare non snowy Jan day.  

I have played many of the touristy courses like Desert Pines, Royal Links, Paiute back when there was only 1 course, Bali Hai, TPC but figure even with resident discounts those might be more than I want to pay for daily play.

So where do the you locals / future me play on a day to day basis?  Also wondering is a swimming pool at your home more trouble than it is worth or a necessity to cool down in after golf?  Any local knowledge you want to impart would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

jan_golfing.jpg

ives2winter.jpg

Edited by scotth

In my bag: All Lefty clubs
Goldsmith driver I built 10 degree reg flex, Orlimar 14 degree 3 wood, 7 wood
Cobra Oversize 3 and 4 iron; Gigagolf Ion Control 5 iron through PW firm flex and 1 inch over with 3 degrees upright
Golfsmith SW that I built, steel shaft reg flex, Cleveland Tour Action Raw 60 with dynamic golf stiff
Scotty Cameron Teryllium Newport putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Rhodes Ranch can cost close to $100 for out of towners during prime time.  But for locals at twilight you can often play for $15 plus 2 free beers!  You can get a pretty decent rates before twilight as well.

Memberships at the semi private Spanish Trail are $900 per month with no down payment or minimums.  You get 27 holes, huge pool, lit 24 hour tennis courts, locker, extensive clubhouse, bar, restaurant.  Your significant other is included in all of that.

Having your own pool is worth it if you like going in pools.  Not if you don’t.  They make more sense than in upstate New York of course.

Rhodes Ranch for $15!  That's fantastic..... I played this course when it was only about a year or two old and you could tell it was going to be great.  

Spanish trail sounds nice, but might be a little more spendy than the wife will allow initially.  

Thanks for the info.

Cobra Oversize 3 and 4 iron; Gigagolf Ion Control 5 iron through PW firm flex and 1 inch over with 3 degrees upright
Golfsmith SW that I built, steel shaft reg flex, Cleveland Tour Action Raw 60 with dynamic golf stiff

What @mvmac, and @allenc posted is good info. Angels Park has a lighted course for night play to beat the day time heat. 

Of course there are many more courses in the Vegas Valley. The City of Las Vegas is really a small part  ofthe whole valley. More than likely if you move here, you won't actually live in Las Vegas, except maybe at the far west end. You can find green fees in the $25-$45 price range, year around, if you do some home work. 

We have a home on the Rio Seco golf course in Henderson , NV, but we keep it leased out. We prefer to live out of the valley where the air is cleaner. Less traffic. Safer neighborhoods.  We are still only 15 miles from Vegas. 

If I wanted to go golfing in Vegas, one of my first choice would be Desert Rose, which has recently been spruced up. Decent price I hear. It's on the east side of the valley. I also like TPC Summer in.

If you want to commute 50+/- miles you could check out Coyote Springs housing development, which has a really nice golf course, or at least it was last time I was there. I had a hand in building that course.

Another decent course, with homes in the Vegas Valley is in Henderson. Chimra GC is what they call it now. It was formerly the Tuscany GC. I also had a hand in building that one too.  Afternoon rates there are $25, and include a cart. 

Realality is there are a bunch of courses in the area, in various conditions, and price ranges. 

As for a swimming pool, that's a personal deal. They do require a lot of maintenance to keep them usable. We use a pool cleaning service for the one at our rental. We bought it for our kids to have fun with. 

You can PM me if you have any specific questions about the area. I was born, raised, and lived most of my life in the Vegas Valley. I will try to answer your questions. 

Edited by Patch

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Sweet... Thanks @Patch will take you up on the PM soon.  Used to travel there quite often to speak at the many different conventions in the valley, but understand living in the area will be quite different.

1 hour ago, scotth said:

Sweet... Thanks @Patch will take you up on the PM soon.  Used to travel there quite often to speak at the many different conventions in the valley, but understand living in the area will be quite different.

Don't forget to bring your own shade if you move into the area. 😲😌

In My Bag:

6 hours ago, mvmac said:

Oh yeah.  And Angel Park and Vegas National both rent Golf Boards.

Did not realize the Golf Boards actually existed on courses.  Saw the above video last summer and thought it was just a development video for a Kickstarter type program or a concept video to see what the public reaction was before actually starting large scale production of them.

HAVE to give them a try that looks like a blast!!!!!

What about Las Vegas Golf Club? i've heard good things about that course, I believe its the oldest course in Las Vegas.

Carry on my wayward drive

There'll be pars when you are done

Lay your weary wedge to rest

Don't you shank no more 

1 hour ago, MrGolfguy67 said:

What about Las Vegas Golf Club? i've heard good things about that course, I believe its the oldest course in Las Vegas.

If you are talking about the Las Vegas National GC, but it is a nice,  older  Alot of old timers still frequent this course.. I think it was built in the early 1960s.

It was originally called the Stardust CC. 

That area of town in earlier days was a "who's who"  area. Alot the important Vegas money lived in that area. Not so much anymore. 

The course has kind of gone down hill a little since the LPGA stopped it's yearly visit. I played there last year with a friend who lives there. I thought the fees were a little out of line for the quality. Then again, I am probably spoiled. I know the place has a parking lot full of cars everytime I drive by it. It stays busy. 

Of some note, that course, and some of the homes that line the fairways have been used in various movies about the Las Vegas Mob's early years in Vegas. 

There is a Las Vegas Golf Club that is a municipal, run by the county course. It is often confused with the National one. It too is a decent course with heavy play by the locals. I quit going there after my vehicle was broke in to by neigborhood vandals while parked in the course parking lot. Word is to leave vehicle empty of valuables, and unlocked when parking there. 

Edited by Patch

In My Bag:

1 hour ago, Patch said:

There is a Las Vegas Golf Club that is a municipal, run by the county course. It is often confused with the National one. It too is a decent course with heavy play by the locals.

That's the course I mean, started in 1938 or so. What's the course like? (Greens, length, difficulty, etc)

Carry on my wayward drive

There'll be pars when you are done

Lay your weary wedge to rest

Don't you shank no more 

Lots of good information here. I'm a long way from Rhodes Ranch, but I have to give them a look. I live around the corner from The Muni--Las Vegas Golf Club--but don't go there anymore. Too slow. I do go at least a couple of times a week to the Course at Sunrise--formerly known as Desert Rose and will always be known as The Ditch. Love it. I paid $289 for a year's range card, and play afternoons for $10. It will teach you to not slice.

There are several discount cards available. Arccis is for Desert Pines, the muni and Painted Desert. LV National has a card for $99 now--$79 in Oct, and I love the course. Played it last week. It reminds me of the courses I grew up on.

You can golf cheap in Vegas, with lots and lots of options. The heat sucks now through August, but the rest of the year is fabulous. I wouldn't live anywhere else,12 years after feeling Florida.

Wayne

• 2 weeks later...

Well it's looking more and more likely that Vegas will be the next home for my wife and I.  She is flying out later in the month for a few interviews and to look at areas of town to live.

Had another question on the local golf scene for you guys.....  One of the best things about golf up here is the number of golf courses you can easily walk because of the design, and of course the much cooler conditions.

Does anybody walk any of the courses at any part of the year?  Wondering if I should donate or sale my push cart here before we move?

Note: This thread is 2149 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!