IGNORED

Removing the brain helps me

Note: This thread is 2119 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Like many, my head gets in the way in my game.

I am new and working on just about everything, but have been concentrating on putting the past couple weeks.

Lots of reps, getting the stroke right, line right, etc.

From 5' out, about 50-60% when I concentrate.

When I don't, I am more like 80%.

I decided to try a drill.  I put a bunch of balls about 5 ' from the hole, all around the hole.  I went up to each, addressed, thought it out, lined up, etc and putted.  60% ish on average.

I then did the same ball spread, and just went up and immediately putted each ball.  Putt, next ball, putt, next ball, with no setup, thought, etc.  Around 80%.

I repeated this drill for about half an hour and the numbers were pretty consistent.

So I have an appointment for a lobotomy.  I think it will improve my game a lot.

Always remember, the same country that invented golf and called it a game, invented bag pipes and called it music.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't think you need to remove all thought, just eliminate the clutter.  One good thought is way better than trying to manage 10 good thoughts.

I believe most good players analyze a number of variables, but when its time to actually putt, they have just one basic thing in mind.  They've analyzed break v. speed, selected their line, imagined the desired speed, planning is done, and out of mind.  They set up on their desired line, and that job is done, they've already put in the practice required to hit the ball where they intend to.  All that's left is to hit it the desired speed.  Simple, one thought.  This exact process won't be the same for every player, but in the end you want things to be as simple as possible when you're hitting a shot.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Yeah, I usually do most of my "golf thinking" during my practice routines. When playing for a score, I just want to have fun, and not have to work at it. I still have to decide on club selection,  landing areas, and putting lines, but that stuff is pretty much automatic, and done before I step up to the ball. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

All I know is that if I have a thought go through my head during the backswing on a drive or iron shot I'm dead. I do all my thinking at a driving range but if I start thinking about all the "stuff" I'm suppose to do during a stroke on the course I'm guaranteed to screw something up. Same with putting, I line my putt up accounting for any breaks, judge the speed, then clear my head and stroke the putt. IMHO thinking to much about your stroke on the course is a killer. I was once told "you dance with the girl you brought to the party".

For putting, especially shorter puts, I sort of agree. Take aim , tuck in the sleeve, and make the stroke. 

In every other part of the game, not so much - I'm not a technically good golfer (although improving all the time), so I manage my game by carefully thinking about what I need to get right and what I can afford not to get wrong on each shot.

For instance, with mid irons i'm prone to a variety of errors, including a slice, the occasional fat shot, and over hitting it when between clubs. If I can't afford a fat shot, then my thought is all about stability and weight, whereas if I can't go right, then I'm focused much more on grip pressure and a smooth transition. 

Still, different approaches work for different people.

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 5:33 AM, Moxley said:

For putting, especially shorter puts, I sort of agree. Take aim , tuck in the sleeve, and make the stroke. 

In every other part of the game, not so much - I'm not a technically good golfer (although improving all the time), so I manage my game by carefully thinking about what I need to get right and what I can afford not to get wrong on each shot.

For instance, with mid irons i'm prone to a variety of errors, including a slice, the occasional fat shot, and over hitting it when between clubs. If I can't afford a fat shot, then my thought is all about stability and weight, whereas if I can't go right, then I'm focused much more on grip pressure and a smooth transition. 

Still, different approaches work for different people.

Yeah, I understand what you are saying about different approaches. I cannot shape a shot and since all my shot are straight, (I do fade my driver), I think I have less to think about, (regards my swing). Of course I'm evaluating the hole location, obstacles like trees, where I want the ball to land, etc. But I rarely think about my swing on the course, at least I try not to. All my shots are the same, I just pick different clubs based on length of the shot. 

Note: This thread is 2119 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!