IGNORED

Plane on a Conveyor Belt

iacas
Note: This thread is 5765 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
NO, I have an explanation but cant say it.

Okay, but you're wrong, and the answer was given several pages ago.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Like it has been stated, the conveyor belt means nothing. It could be spinning 200 mph. See once the plane's propulsion system is engaged the only resistance it has to the conveyor belt is in the resistance in the ball bearings of the plane's wheels which is virtually zip.

Fletch had it right, he was even at the airport when he gave us the answer.

"It's all ball bearings these days! Maybe you need a refresher course!"

Time to move on fellas...

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Rad Tour 16* | Tour Edge 19* | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Odyssey 2 Ball Blade | Vice Pro Plus  

• 2 weeks later...
Think of a front wheel drive car with its front wheels on the ground and its back wheels on a treadmill..

Since the car gets its "propulsion" from its front wheels and the back wheels are basically drones, the car drives off without any trouble at all.

Same thing..

A planes wheels are drones and it gets it propulsion from the air around it.

Plane lifts off with no trouble at all except for a TINY bit of friction in the wheel bearings. (but don't let that confuse you)

On my tombstone: "If this is the worst thing that ever happens to me, I'm doing just fine!"

I think so, not sure.

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

• Administrator
NO it will not.

Yes, it will. The answer has already been given.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

My brother is a pilot, and I asked him this, and he gave the wrong answer!! LOL.

Then he tried to baffle me with this BS:
195knots is tire limiting speed, and it takes about 145 to achieveflight so you would blow your tires, and crash before flying so there!

What's in my bag:
Cleveland Hibore XLS Monster Driver
TourEdge Exotics 2,3,4 hybrid irons
Tommy Armour 845cs Silverbacks 5-PW
Assorted wedges, Ping Scottsdale Anser

But is that because the plane can't safely go over 195 on the ground, or because the tires would break down as they approach the spin/friction of spinning at 195mph?

Remember, that if it is the FORMER of the two, the conveyor belt scenario would likely reduce friction that might be present on a conventional runway at 195 mph. . . because on a conveyor belt, the plane would be airborne at the traditional 145 mph or whatever that number is for the particular plane we are discussing.

the plane is a v-22 osprey, it flies

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

the plane is a v-22 osprey, it flies

I don't mean to put down one of the most ambitious military programs in history, but IF ITS AN OSPREY it only has 80% of VTO success. . . and I don't even want to be around . . .

But is that because the plane can't safely go over 195 on the ground, or because the tires would break down as they approach the spin/friction of spinning at 195mph?

We didn't get that far into it... but I'd imagine it's friction, and he's probably talking about the planes he flies: 737s and DC10s -- so the weight probably plays into that as well.

What's in my bag:

• Administrator

It doesn't matter. Every plane's liftoff speed is not 195. A plane on the MythBusters show took off going only 25 MPH.

Tires are obviously required to withstand more than 10% their normal takeoff speed.
no......................................

The plane takes off. The correct answer is yes.

The plane takes off. The correct answer is yes.

Maybe you should edit the title/your original post to indicate that the question has been answered

What's in my bag:

• Administrator
Maybe you should edit the title/your original post to indicate that the question has been answered

I just wish people would read. But I'll edit the first post, sure.

Saying the wheels would break off is almost like saying that they don't make runway sized conveyor belts that go that fast.

The question has been answered. Time to move on. Maybe a thread lock is in order.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Rad Tour 16* | Tour Edge 19* | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Odyssey 2 Ball Blade | Vice Pro Plus  

Here is the Answer:

Dude, I still think your logic is totally off. Air has to be moving over and under the wings of the plane in order to generate the lift necessary for the plane to pull itself into the air. If the treadmill is matching the speed of the plane, as you said, and it appears to be still to observers, then it is not generating air flow over the wings. You have to take the question literally, and in doing so, the wheels, friction, etc. are irrelevant. The propulsion of the plane, whether it is jet of prop, is also irrelevant. The engine only provides thrust, which you have already stated is inversley matched by the treadmill. The only variable allowed by this question is lift, and lift is generated solely by air passing over the wings. For the life of me, I can run as fast as I can on a treadmill, but there is still no breeze hitting me in the face....... And don't believe everything you read on the internet, all the pages on this subject are no different than this one. They're all just speculation. Now....believe it or not, you could make a plane lift off without ever moving the wheels....you just need enough airflow over the wings

Founder,
The Sand Trap Tour
Central NC's affordable amateur tour

But in the end it's still a game of golf, and if at the end of the day you can't shake hands with your opponents and still be friends, then you've missed the point. ~Payne Stewart

Dude, I still think your logic is totally off. Air has to be moving over and under the wings of the plane in order to generate the lift necessary for the plane to pull itself into the air. If the treadmill is matching the speed of the plane, as you said, and it appears to be still to observers, then it is not generating air flow over the wings.

haha. Goodness. I don't mean laugh, but you need to read carefully - the fact that a plane is on a treadmill (a very long treadmill - a runway length treadmill) will NOT prevent the plane from moving forward. It doesn't stay still or even appear to stay still.

All the wheels do is allow it to move down the runway without tearing up the fuselage. heh. maybe the thread should be locked - although it is somewhat entertaining.

What's in my bag:

Note: This thread is 5765 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!