IGNORED

Share Your "Jellybean" Set-Up

Note: This thread is 2116 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I refer to a mixed/mismatch group of any instrument as a "jellybean" set (it's a drummer's term.) Being new to golf and not financially able to splurge on a nice, new set of clubs to break into the game, I've opted to go the 2nd hand route and try to build me a setup. Started out with a cheap Precise 15 club rig and have since ditched the terrible driver for a Nike VR 9.5 with a Fubuki stiff shaft and also replaced the stock wedges with used 52/56 Vokeys. I still keep the Precise PW because at 100 yards it's my most consistent shot maker. Oddly enough, I've really gotten into a groove with the cheap mallet putter and prefer it over my Ping Scottsdale TR Anser 2 (although I keep the Ping in my bag as a backup.) Next on the upgrade list are the irons, which I plan on getting as a set that includes at least a 6-9 with a 5 being a plus but not required. The hybrid 24* included with the Precise set is one that I'd like to hit more, but only after some extensive range practice. I like the 3 wood, but wouldn't mind upgrading it as well. I have 5 and 7 woods, but they don't see daylight at the course yet because I go straight from a 3W to a 6 or 7 iron. I also have an original Big Bertha 9* driver that is about the size of today's 3W. Great distance with that club but I slice the daylights out of it. Anyway, enough rambling about my humble sticks. Anyone else have a jellybean style setup? What do you use? I'm curious!

Yeah my irons are Ping G15’s 4-W. New driver is a G400. Wedges are used 52 and 56 Vokeys. Other clubs I have are all from my high school starter set (Knight Connexion) and include a driver, (dropping that out now that I have the G400 working), a 5W, and the putter. Im planning to get a new wood and a hybrid to bridge the gap between my driver and 4i that the old 5W is in. 

Might not keep the putter forever, but I AM comfortable with it, and it is my lowest priority. I don’t think that club itself has ever cost me a stroke. Just my use of it!

• Thumbs Up 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 minutes ago, sofingaw said:

Yeah my irons are Ping G15’s 4-W. New driver is a G400. Wedges are used 52 and 56 Vokeys. Other clubs I have are all from my high school starter set (Knight Connexion) and include a driver, (dropping that out now that I have the G400 working), a 5W, and the putter. Im planning to get a new wood and a hybrid to bridge the gap between my driver and 4i that the old 5W is in. 

Might not keep the putter forever, but I AM comfortable with it, and it is my lowest priority. I don’t think that club itself has ever cost me a stroke. Just my use of it!

That's pretty similar to what I've got. For me, it's whatever works!

9 hours ago, N8theGr8_1988 said:

Oddly enough, I've really gotten into a groove with the cheap mallet putter and prefer it over my Ping Scottsdale TR Anser 2 (although I keep the Ping in my bag as a backup.) 

What's so odd about this?  It may fit your eye better.  I bet if you ever get properly fit for a putter, we'd discover that the cheap mallet is closer to those specs than the TR Anser 2. 

Jim Furyk won the FedEx Cup with a putter he found in the $39 used bin at a golf shop.  I don't think his equipment sponsor would have objected to sending him any club he asked for, putter included, and I don't think his finances were at the point where he needed to save a few bucks on office supplies.  It just worked for him.

• Thumbs Up 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I have a mix of clubs:

Ping G5 driver, Dunlop NZ9 5w, John Letters TR47 3h, TM Burner 4h, Hippo beast 5-sw, Profesional open 60* wedge and a Cleveland Smartsquare putter. Got all but the putter,4h and 60* off ebay.

Just because you're on a budget doesn't mean you cant play good golf. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Note: This thread is 2116 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!