IGNORED

Looking for Mountain Course in the SE

gray
Note: This thread is 2034 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I really really want to play a course in the mountains. I live in North Florida so trying to find the closest mountainous course possible. Not looking for anything extreme, as I know I would have to travel much further. Just looking for some sweet elevation changes and beautiful scenery. Any recommendations in Alabama or Georgia? Don't want to drive more than 4-6 hours at the most. Any further and I would just assume fly. 

Check out the state park courses in both Georgia and South Carolina.  Highland Walk, near Franklin Springs, Ga.  is quite a challenging layout and definitely mountainous.  Some of the state park courses feature over-night accommodations as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Currahe, Waterfall, Sky Valley, and Achasta are all in N. GA mountains. The first two are private but easy to get on and the other two are semi private with online booking.

• Thumbs Up 1

Here in central Alabama, Oxmoor Valley (Ridge Course) on the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail has a lot of major elevation changes.  I would stop short of calling it "mountain golf", because there's only 200-300' between the high and low parts of the course, but there are lots of major ups and downs, rock outcroppings, nice views, and it's a nice course and a good value.

Around Oxford/Anniston, not far off I-20, Cider Ridge is a pretty decent track, and they refer to it as "mountain golf".  I'd have to agree...it's probably as "mountain golf" as it gets in Alabama (and it's just a couple of miles from our highest point at Mount Cheaha).  Good price there, too.

Both have websites with some good photos that can give you an idea, and should be within 4-5ish hours of you.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wade         --         "Thaaat's CRUSHED!"

Driver:  Ping G400 LST 8.5°
FWs/Hybs:  Callaway BB Steelhead III 3w; TM R15 17° & 21°
Irons:  Mizuno JPX825
Wedges:  Cleveland Rotex 2.0 54° & 60°
Putter:  Odyssey 2-ball

Thanks everyone. Right now looking at playing Cider Ridge in Oxford and then making the driver over to Oxmoor Valley in Birmingham. This can easily be a one-night mini golf trip from where we are so should be perfect. Next year may try and plan one in North GA and play a couple of the courses mentioned. 

2 hours ago, gray said:

Thanks everyone. Right now looking at playing Cider Ridge in Oxford and then making the driver over to Oxmoor Valley in Birmingham. This can easily be a one-night mini golf trip from where we are so should be perfect. Next year may try and plan one in North GA and play a couple of the courses mentioned. 

Cool, @gray, let us know how it goes, and what you think of the courses.

It's another hour-ish north, but also check out Limestone Springs just south of Oneonta.  Again...tough to really call it mountain golf, though there are lots of large elevation changes (particularly on the back 9)...but probably about as mountain golf as you get in AL.  They have a play-all-day rate there, and the course is usually in really good condition (and rarely, if ever, crowded - probably the least so of the 3, as it's out a ways).

• 1 month later...

@gray, were you able to make the trip, yet?  If so, how'd it go?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2018 at 2:32 PM, BamaWade said:

@gray, were you able to make the trip, yet?  If so, how'd it go?

Not yet. About to start building a house so trying to save funds where I can. Might try to make it up there in the spring. Did make the short drive up to Dothan about a month ago to play Highland Oaks and had a great time there. 

Note: This thread is 2034 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!