IGNORED

Persimmon

1badbadger
Note: This thread is 2111 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Not this kind of persimmon:

dsc_0429.jpg.3324941c90bdfdfc11b828ef6cd6e464.jpg

This kind of persimmon:

photo.JPG.7576c193361ea2986ba148a8d1f8fbf2.JPG

This is the fruit that is produced by the persimmon tree.  If you've never seen one, this is what they look like.  At least this variety anyway.  There are different types within the persimmon family, and I am by no means an expert on the various versions.  Where I live it's not available at mainstream grocery stores...I have to go to a specialty store, but they are really pretty good.  I've had dehydrated persimmons too, which are excellent.

Has anyone else tried them?

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, 1badbadger said:

Not this kind of persimmon:

dsc_0429.jpg.3324941c90bdfdfc11b828ef6cd6e464.jpg

Lots of great memories from the days when these drivers were king, I still have 2 or 3 in my garage and take them out to hit every so often. In golf, the feel of a balata ball hit flush on the screws of a persimmon driver will never be surpassed. Butter, pure & simple. Butter.

Carry on my wayward drive

There'll be pars when you are done

Lay your weary wedge to rest

Don't you shank no more 

1 hour ago, 1badbadger said:

Has anyone else tried them?

I love persimmons. They're one of my favorite fruits.

I have never had them dehydrated, though, and I do have a food dehydrator...

10 minutes ago, MrGolfguy67 said:

Lots of great memories from the days when these drivers were king, I still have 2 or 3 in my garage and take them out to hit every so often. In golf, the feel of a balata ball hit flush on the screws of a persimmon driver will never be surpassed. Butter, pure & simple. Butter.

You can't hit a golf ball very far with a persimmon. 

Seriously, did you read the OP?

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

22 minutes ago, billchao said:

Seriously, did you read the OP?

Sure i did. I was taken back to a far better and simpler time when persimmon drivers ruled the golf world. 

Carry on my wayward drive

There'll be pars when you are done

Lay your weary wedge to rest

Don't you shank no more 

6 minutes ago, MrGolfguy67 said:

Sure i did. I was taken back to a far better and simpler time when persimmon drivers ruled the golf world. 

The thread is about a fruit.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

14 hours ago, billchao said:

The thread is about a fruit.

HA! A day late and a dollar short.

I’ve never had one. What do they taste like?

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

8 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

I’ve never had one. What do they taste like?

Like a persimmon 🤣

It's kind of a unique flavor. I just asked my wife and my mother and neither could come up with a better answer. They're very sweet. You can have them overripe and they get soft like a tomato, but normally they have a bit of crunch to them like a pear.

They start to come in season around autumn and that's when you'll find them in Asian grocery stores. Some places have them year-round but they never look good enough to buy so I don't. 

Bill

My Swing Thread

5 hours ago, billchao said:

Like a persimmon 🤣

It's kind of a unique flavor. I just asked my wife and my mother and neither could come up with a better answer. They're very sweet. You can have them overripe and they get soft like a tomato, but normally they have a bit of crunch to them like a pear.

They start to come in season around autumn and that's when you'll find them in Asian grocery stores. Some places have them year-round but they never look good enough to buy so I don't. 

I will look for them.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Don't ever eat them when they are still green, Ugh 😮
They will make your mouth numb and taste horrible.

There was a few trees in neighbor yards when I was a kid, we would prank other kids to try them.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

32 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

Don't ever eat them when they are still green, Ugh 😮
They will make your mouth numb and taste horrible.

There was a few trees in neighbor yards when I was a kid, we would prank other kids to try them.

I've never had it, but there are ways to cure unripe ones to get rid of that astringency.

Bill

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 2111 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!