IGNORED

Quality Practice Drills for 65/20/15 Sessions

Note: This thread is 2087 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So reading through the 65/20/15 Practice Ratios: Where to Devote Your Practice Time thread in Swing Thoughts, I thought it might be a good idea to list some quality practice drills. For instance, I actually combine some short game and putting drills by taking 3-5 balls and chip or pitch to a green, and then go to green and make the putts.  This is random practice and I go through my pre-shot routine for each shot.  I am looking to basically get up and down.  Much better than bagging away with a bucket of balls into a practice green where you get so many balls up there that it becomes a ping pong fest and you never see the true result of your shot.

Another drill I do on the putting green is a dime drill.  Basically here I take 3 balls and start with a 6-8 foot up hill putt and then again in the 20 foot range.  I then make my read and place the dime on the line about 24 inches in front of the ball.  The idea is to have the ball roll over the dime > I started it on my line.  Now I am working on starting the ball on the line of read first and pace second and read third.  If my read is wrong based on the result of the 3 putts I will move the dime and begin again.  Once I have worked the up hill putts, I then move to a right to left break putt, then left to right and finally down hill.  

Does anyone have some quality full swing practice drills that they care to share?  I need to plug a leak in my game regarding iron accuracy to the green as I only seem to get 4-5 GIR per round.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver G with Tour 65 shaft 10.5 neutral setting by :ping:
3W G30, #3 and #4 Hybrid, Irons 5 to GW G25 by :ping:
54 & 58 Glide Wedges and putter Cadence TR Anser 2  Traditional also by :ping:
Ball TriSpeed Tour by :srixon: Shoes M Project Wide by :footjoy:
Bag and Push cart by :sunmountain:

I like those drills that you use for short game and putting. Seems like you have a good plan for those.

18 minutes ago, WildTurkey said:

Does anyone have some quality full swing practice drills that they care to share?  I need to plug a leak in my game regarding iron accuracy to the green as I only seem to get 4-5 GIR per round.  

What is the reason that you are missing greens? Is it an issue with lateral dispersion, missing shots to the left or right, or is it distance control such as always coming up short due to hitting it fat? 

Once we know what your "miss" is or what weakness you are trying to eliminate, we will be better able to recommend drills that can help. If you catch the ball clean every time but have a huge hook or slice, it doesnt make sense for me to suggest a drill that is designed to help someone who hits the ball fat. 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Find a metal yard stick.   Place a ball in the hole and try to putt the length of it.   That will create some game type practice.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

1 hour ago, dennyjones said:

Find a metal yard stick.   Place a ball in the hole and try to putt the length of it.   That will create some game type practice.

I assume by "Place a ball in the hole"  you mean the hole in the yard stick that is used to hang it up on your work bench.  This would be to practice starting the ball on line.  No pushes or pulls.   

• Like 1

Driver G with Tour 65 shaft 10.5 neutral setting by :ping:
3W G30, #3 and #4 Hybrid, Irons 5 to GW G25 by :ping:
54 & 58 Glide Wedges and putter Cadence TR Anser 2  Traditional also by :ping:
Ball TriSpeed Tour by :srixon: Shoes M Project Wide by :footjoy:
Bag and Push cart by :sunmountain:

2 hours ago, WildTurkey said:

I assume by "Place a ball in the hole"  you mean the hole in the yard stick that is used to hang it up on your work bench.  This would be to practice starting the ball on line.  No pushes or pulls.   

Right.  How many out of X can you get to run off the end of the yardstick (while putting them far enough that it isn't just a 36" putt)?

I first saw this drill in LSW, although I'm sure it existed before 2014.  One of the great things about the practice-at-home and practice (not at home) parts of that book are that they're broken down not just by "short game" etc, but by which skill they improve, and what the separation value of that skill is.  Obviously I can't repeat multiple chapters of that book here (it goes way beyond fair use, among other things) but it's not that expensive as far as books go and it's a lot more than "drills to do to practice."

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Note: This thread is 2087 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!